• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Dawn - No menu selection

newaudioguy77

I just got a Moondrop Dawn 3.5mm dongle for my Android smartphone. I downloaded the app - called Moondrop Link and plugged in the dongle to my smartphone with a pair of headphones. I got the prompt to "allow Moondrop Link" to access the device. Behind that I could see a menu for USB device control with options for filters and 2v vs 4v output. When I clicked OK, the entire menu became greyed out and I could not select anything. Still can't select anything :(

I tried with 3 different Android smartphones - Samsung S21 5G, Samsung A70, and a Heauwi P30 lite. The most recent is the S21 5G with Android 12 - followed by the A70 and the P30 lite.
I think I must have a defective unit. Because if this were a problem, it would have been addressed by now. Please let me know if there is something I'm missing or need to check to get it working. I could be wrong in my assessement. But overall, I really like the device and the sound quality it produces is great.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Please make a screen recording of you plugging the Dawn into your phone and launching the Moondrop Link App.
Then, upload that to YouTube, contact Moondrop's customer support here, describe your issue and also send them the YouTube link.

I think you'll have a much higher chance of receiving proper support that way.

OP
N

newaudioguy77

Please make a screen recording of you plugging the Dawn into your phone and launching the Moondrop Link App.
Then, upload that to YouTube, contact Moondrop's customer support here, describe your issue and also send them the YouTube link.

I think you'll have a much higher chance of receiving proper support that way.
Captian Obvious - I already sent an email to Moondrop support with pictures I took on my phone. One picture of the app before I pressed okay, and one after.
Like I said, the menu is greyed out so I can't select anything at all. Also reached out to shenzhenaudio because I bought it from them. Having options that I can't use defeats the purpose. And there's no point of making a video. I don't intend to make it seem like their company produces faulty products in general. I think I just got a dud. And that is perfectly okay providing I'm given a new unit or a solution.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't intend to make it seem like their company produces faulty products in general.
I'm not talking about a public YouTube video to shame Moondrop.
I'm talking about an unlisted YouTube video so that you can send Moondrop a link and they can take a look at what's happening.
Screenshot_20220909-025223_YouTube.png
I do customer support for app-enabled thumbdrive DAC+Amps (different brand) and that's what I wish people would send me if they have troubles

OP
N

newaudioguy77

O boy! Lately peeps have been commenting here at ASR about serious issues with Shenzheaudio and faulty products.
It arrived in perfect condition in a nice box and the carrying case is also great! Upon first listen, I really liked the sound. I am not bashing the product.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or truthful.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It arrived in perfect condition in a nice box and the carrying case is also great! Upon first listen, I really liked the sound. I am not bashing the product.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or truthful.
I'm deadpan serious.

OP
N

newaudioguy77

I'm not talking about a public YouTube video to shame Moondrop.
I'm talking about an unlisted YouTube video so that you can send Moondrop a link and they can take a look at what's happening.
View attachment 229577
I do customer support for app-enabled thumbdrive DAC+Amps (different brand) and that's what I wish people would send me if they have troubles
My apologies for misunderstanding what you said. I will wait for a response. Looking forward to trying out the filters and options etc.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how shenzhenaudio plays into this seeing as they're just a retailer. Do you suspect they resell customer returns without checking?
No, I don't suspect them of a switcheroo scam.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know. But I would assume that many of you shop there and haven't had problems. I've been having REALLY bad luck lately.
There has been issues with some different Topping models sold by Shenzhenaudio in recent months and the issues stem from that debacle.

staticV3

Master Contributor
No, I don't suspect them of a switcheroo scam.
How could they possibly have any part in a Moondrop DAC not connecting to the Moondrop companion App?
I totally see value in warning folks of poor customer support and stuff, but this case is not on them.

OP
N

newaudioguy77

There has been issues with some different Topping models sold by Shenzhenaudio in recent months and the issues stem from that debacle.
I was expecting plug-and-play functionality...for it to just work. But I'm not upset. It's an awesome product- but I'd like to try these options ASAP.

Not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong. But I can confirm that I'm definitely pressing OK and not cancel.

Screenshot_20220908-210619_MOONDROP Link.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220908-210605_MOONDROP Link.jpg
    Screenshot_20220908-210605_MOONDROP Link.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 66

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How could they possibly have any part in a Moondrop DAC not connecting to the Moondrop companion App?
I was not referring to a Moondrop DAC issue I was referring to the issues of customer returns/exchanges and shipping/receiving issues too. Too distant from American and Euro customers.
I totally see value in warning folks of poor customer support and stuff, but this case is not on them.
Is Shenzenaudio not part of the Topping issues in that exchanges, repairs and returns are problematic and delayed? If not then I stand corrected.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was expecting plug-and-play functionality...for it to just work. But I'm not upset. It's an awesome product- but I'd like to try these options ASAP.

Not sure if there's something I'm doing wrong. But I can confirm that I'm definitely pressing OK and not cancel.

View attachment 229578
I don't doubt you are operating the software properly.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is Shenzenaudio not part of the Topping issues in that exchanges, repairs and returns are problematic and delayed? If not then I stand corrected.
Neither did your original post mention Topping, nor is this thread about Topping.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Neither did your original post mention Topping, nor is this thread about Topping.
The retailer/etailer terms of service are still the same regardless of the product in question. That's what I was driving at.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The retailer/etailer terms of service are still the same regardless of the product in question. That's what I was driving at.
Ah I definitely misunderstood your post then. Felt like you were hinting at Shenzhen as a likely cause for the fault, which would be baseless therefore misleading.
Sorry for the needless argument.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah I definitely misunderstood your post then. Felt like you were hinting at Shenzhen as a likely cause for the fault, which would be baseless therefore misleading.
Sorry for the needless argument.
No worries. I consider you to be one of the sharp peeps around here and if you where questioning me then I knew there is a reason. :D

Top Bottom