• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice M1570C Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the Monoprice Monolith M1570C closed back planar magnetic headphone. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $600 although I am told it goes on sale for just $200!
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone leather pad velour planar magnetic review.jpg

This is a large and heavy headphone. The owner sent it with the faux leather pads which made it gigantic width wise. With velour pads, it is much more manageable and it initially fit well on my head. After a few minutes though, the headband started to dig into my head so not sure I could wear it for more than half hour to an hour.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was relative easy but there was an issue as you see below.

Monoprice Monolith M1570C Measurements
I started the measurements with the faux leather pads. That unfortunately has a deep hole right at the frequency that I calibrate to 94 dBSPL. It looked very odd that way so I broke my normal rule and brought the overall level to get compliance elsewhere:
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone leather pad measurement.png

The graph is very rough which typically indicates resonances (more on this later). I decided to switch to Velour pads which is shown in dashed brown. FYI, swapping pads was a royal pain as you have to insert a flexible lip into a very narrow slit all around the cup. Good thing I don't curse as there would have been plenty of that otherwise!

Anyway, the velour pad seemed more workable to me so let's go with that from here on:
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone Velour pad measurement.png

At least now we are just short of bass and midrange as opposed to the uneven response of leatherette. Here is our relative curve for the much needed equalization:
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone Velour pad relative frequency response measure...png

Fortunately distortion is extremely low, sans some resonances:
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone Velour pad relative distortion measurement.png

The resonances were milder with the leather pad which may indicate it is the case resonance.
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone Velour pad distortion measurement.png

Group delay has a number of pronounced discontinuities which is likely partially generated by above resonances:
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone Velour pad group delay measurement.png

Impedance is relative low and flat as is typically the case with planar magnetic headphones:
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone leather pad Impedance measurement.png

Sensitivity is below average so you need some amplification:
Best closed back headphone review.png

Monoprice M1570C Listening Tests and EQ
Immediate impression was: "where is the bass?" So out came the EQ:
Monoprice Monolity M1570C closed back headphone Velour pad equalization.png

As you see, I just tried to compensate for lack of bass and midrange. Due to high amount of bass boost, you have to allow a lot of headroom. Above was good enough for my test tracks which includes some with very deep subbass. You lose fair bit of headroom because of this so best to have a powerful headphone amplifier. My RME ADI-2 Pro drove it with ease though.

With EQ, we now have very good bass with nice fidelity. Spatial qualities were also very good and pleasing in the way instruments were separated around my ears. I thought at times the highs were a bit unpleasant but it could be me being biased by the measurements. I tried a couple of sharp filters where the resonances are but that changed tonality too much to conclude that distortion was being reduced.

Conclusions
The Monoprice M1570C seems like a "phoned in" design to me. There is clearly no performance target as far as tonality. Likely specs were given at high level of manufacturer in far east and out come a heavy headphone with very odd frequency response. The saving grace is very low distortion courtesy of large drivers allowing EQ to correct many of its ills. If it does indeed go on sale for $200, and you can tolerate its weight, it may not be a bad option.

I can't recommend the Monoprice Monolith M1570C as is. With strong EQ, it does wake up and produce good fidelity. So with that, I can recommend it especially at at the $200 price point. Just don't try to change the pads if you are not in perfectly calm mood.....

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Monoprice M1570C Velour Pad Frequency Response.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 69

respice finem

Major Contributor
I'd rather buy these, for a fraction of the price, and hardly needing EQ at all

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These Monoprice headphones are all over the local craigslist thingy. I was always curious about them, but now I understand why people flip them so much. Too bad, though. Looks like all the ingrediënts to make a good soup are there at least. They just botched up the recipe.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Big, heavy and painful! Nothing after this statement really matters. They will be worn a few times and relegated to the wall hanger to live out it’s sad unused life. Pass the Salt please…

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big, heavy and painful! Nothing after this statement really matters. They will be worn a few times and relegated to the wall hanger to live out it’s sad unused life. Pass the Salt please…
yup about sums this one up. :facepalm::D

ugur38

642 gr is incredibly heavy. It also looks very bulky and non breathing with leather pads.

PeteL

Major Contributor
These Monoprice headphones are all over the local craigslist thingy. I was always curious about them, but now I understand why people flip them so much. Too bad, though. Looks like all the ingrediënts to make a good soup are there at least. They just botched up the recipe.
Yes, my guess is, Take a known good OEM driver, Slap them in two cups with no knowledge of acoustical tuning and we'll just get what we get. damping uhh, what's that?

kombajn

There is clearly no performance target as far as tonality.
TJLpzKb.png

Maybe they just didn't tune it Harman OE ? Flat bass respond is actually old stile of headphone tuning. Strange you didn't recognized it. It doesn't mean its worst. Just old. From my experience (using old 600ohm AKG headphones like K140 Monitor and similar) I can say after around one week brain get used to hearing less bass and everything is fine.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Flat bass respond is actually old stile of headphone tuning. Strange you didn't recognized it.
There is nothing to recognize. This is not flat bass. The headphone starts to droop below 1 kHz! With the leather pads it then gets a boost leaving a hole in the midrange which is not good at all.

PuX

costs US $600 although I am told it goes on sale for just $200!
it looks like a much worse looking clone of Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO
which costs around $600...
and a special drop version exists for $450 with 2 sets of pads.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This headphone doesn't seem too bad, the channel matching looks pretty good and the frequency response doesn't have too many nasty dips & peaks so it looks like an easy EQ - so from this point of view it actually looks a lot better than the Dan Clarke Ether Flow 1.1 that Amir measured yesterday. It's low distortion too, particularly impressively so in the bass area, which is the area that needs to be EQ'd up.....and the distortion in the treble shouldn't really be a problem because no EQ boosting is required there and also there's less SPL in music in those areas which means the blue line in the graph (94dB) is showing that distortion in the treble will be fine. To me it seems ok from the measurements when used with EQ - it was a toss up from me between "Fine" & "Not Terrible" in the vote for me, and I ended up going for "Not Terrible".

respice finem

Major Contributor
This headphone doesn't seem too bad, the channel matching looks pretty good and the frequency response doesn't have too many nasty dips & peaks so it looks like an easy EQ - so from this point of view it actually looks a lot better than the Dan Clarke Ether Flow 1.1 that Amir measured yesterday. It's low distortion too, particularly impressively so in the bass area, which is the area that needs to be EQ'd up.....and the distortion in the treble shouldn't really be a problem because no EQ boosting is required there and also there's less SPL in music in those areas which means the blue line in the graph (94dB) is showing that distortion in the treble will be fine. To me it seems ok from the measurements when used with EQ - it was a toss up from me between "Fine" & "Not Terrible" in the vote for me, and I ended up going for "Not Terrible".
I tended to give the same vote initially, but then three aspects made me switch to "headless":
  1. Any headphone you won't bear on your head for a longer time is useless.
  2. Low distortion is "not an Art" when bass is barely present.
  3. Better and cheaper offers exist.

Shakes

Forum Donor
This was my immediate impression as well. I kept seeing praise of this model, but no serious testing had been completed yet. Once I had the chance to secure a new set from Monoprice at $165, I figured I would grab them as I had another pair of headphones I wanted to send to Amir and thought the timing was perfect. I received them, but once I opened up to check fitment and make sure they worked, I knew something was way off. They were the least comfortable set I've tried, and the sound was not right. Boxed them right up and sent them to Amir. I am not surprised by what he found, even after I had only tried them for a few minutes.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tended to give the same vote initially, but then three aspects made me switch to "headless":
  1. Any headphone you won't bear on your head is useless.
  2. Low distortion is "not an Art" when bass is barely present.
  3. Better and cheaper offers exist.
If it's true that everyone or a hell of a lot of people find these headphones uncomfortable to wear (physically, not the sound), then I agree with you! I still think the headphone is significantly better than headless for the other reasons I mentioned, if your Point #1 is not a common occurrence amoungst different people.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This was my immediate impression as well. I kept seeing praise of this model, but no serious testing had been completed yet. Once I had the chance to secure a new set from Monoprice at $165, I figured I would grab them as I had another pair of headphones I wanted to send to Amir and thought the timing was perfect. I received them, but once I opened up to check fitment and make sure they worked, I knew something was way off. They were the least comfortable set I've tried, and the sound was not right. Boxed them right up and sent them to Amir. I am not surprised by what he found, even after I had only tried them for a few minutes.
Kudos to you for sending them into Amir! Definitely

shuppatsu

Is it methodologically legitimate to take your PEQ'd headphones and add Amir's EQ tweaks with reverse dB amplitudes to get a very rough idea of how the headphones sound without EQ? If so, it's truly terrible out of the box.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is it methodologically legitimate to take your PEQ'd headphones and add Amir's EQ tweaks with reverse dB amplitudes to get a very rough idea of how the headphones sound without EQ?
No, because Amir's EQ tweaks are just eyeballed and often way off:
(Look at the black line representing Amir's EQ tweaks compared to the green one representing the actual EQ tweak required to reach the target. Here's one example:
SIVGA SV021 Dashboard__01.png)

You're better off downloading the raw frequency response of both your headphone model and the one you're trying to emulate, then uploading them to https://autoeq.app/ and letting it generate a preset.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom