• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC and Streamer Review

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
In case anyone's wondering why I decided to go discrete, I actually started testing existing sigma-delta DAC chips first but could find none that didn't have idle tones. I suspect that is still the case. Chip manufacturers usually manage to move these out of the band at mid-scale (i.e. zero or small signal), but they show up in a THD vs level graph as a small increase in apparent noise typically starting at -20dBfs. Basically this "noise" are tones that are swept in and out of the audio band, frequency modulated by the signal. The simplest way of testing for this is to do a noise level vs DC input plot. The tones, when they appear, are well above the noise floor, even as integrated over the audio band. Using PWM as a conversion format solves this tone problem, but nobody is doing that on an IC. Hence the discrete design. I won't speculate on the audibility of this phenomenon but anything that is measurable is fair game for me. If people are going to shell out serious moolah for a DAC, least thing you can do is show an objectively provable benefit. Low jitter is also something I like to that's why we ended up coding our own ASRC algorithm.

Is it possible to do this noise level vs DC input measurement using the (say XLR) output of a DAC? Or will there be DC protection that stops the DAC from outputting DC on most DACs?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@deafenears
here you have it. Very clean but not very powerful - so with 'power' hungry headhpones you would be better with something lika HPA4

Here are headphone measurements. It was a pain to do because by default headphone out is disabled and there is no way to enable it via the remote or the front panel! Had to download the app to do it. Get rid of the bloody fish logo and use the space to implement a proper UI to control the entire set for heaven's sake. :(

Power into 300 Ohm load:
View attachment 45096

Extremely low noise and distortion but limited by the maximum 2.7 volt output.

Similar story at 33 ohm:
View attachment 45097

So not powerful but very clean.

Signal to noise ratio at 50 millivolts is good but not top of the class:
View attachment 45098

View attachment 45099

Output impedance is comfortably low:

View attachment 45100

That's it. She is going back in the box so I can review the mountain of gear waiting!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It’s fine measuring dac, as are many others, but if you are hoping for improved sound quality then you are going to be disappointed.
Keith

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Certainly cheaper.
Keith
Unfortunately I had unpleasant experiences with my previous Topping SMSL and Sabaj devices.

In my case stories about "China quality" were 100% true.
So I don't want put my money there anymore, sorry.
Plus I won't risk having my expensive headphones/speakers get damaged.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Wow you must have been really unlucky to have a 3:3 issue rate. I don't personally know anyone who's had issues with any topping or smsl product.

HookEm

I'm wondering if the Tambaqui would benefit from an external (decent quality) Streamer, connected via USB.
Has anyone compared or measured that setup?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm wondering if the Tambaqui would benefit from an external (decent quality) Streamer, connected via USB.
I'll bite. For functionality- yup, get a Wiim. For sound quality? No.

barrows

It is a good question. I have not heard of anyone making this comparison, but it would be interesting to know.

Disclaimer: I work with Sonore (I am not a Sonore employee though) maker of some of the very best performing Ethernet to USB Renderers available, including ones which accept optical Ethernet input.

A couple of things to consider here: One, my understanding is that the Ethernet input on the Tambaqui is limited in its capabilities as to sample rates and what Ethernet streaming protocols it will accept-if this is accurate, a separate streamer may allow one to use rates and/or protocols (like HQPlayer NAA) not available with the internal streamer. Additionally, one may be able to reduce onboard noise inside the Tambaqui, by using an external streamer-if so, this may result in some improvement in the sound, maybe...
One other thing to consider is to provide some more isolation from noise on the home Network to the DAC, an external streamer could be an advantage here, especially an external streamer which uses optical Ethernet, which does not allow the passage of common mode noise from the rest of the Network.
Alternatively, one could also connect the onboard streamer of the Tambaqui with optical converters, having a really good optical converter such as the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe at the Tambaqui end, and a short Ethernet cable going from that converter to the Tambaqui, again isolating the Tambaqui from noise on the Network.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a good question. I have not heard of anyone making this comparison, but it would be interesting to know.

Disclaimer: I work with Sonore (I am not a Sonore employee though) maker of some of the very best performing Ethernet to USB Renderers available, including ones which accept optical Ethernet input.

A couple of things to consider here: One, my understanding is that the Ethernet input on the Tambaqui is limited in its capabilities as to sample rates and what Ethernet streaming protocols it will accept-if this is accurate, a separate streamer may allow one to use rates and/or protocols (like HQPlayer NAA) not available with the internal streamer. Additionally, one may be able to reduce onboard noise inside the Tambaqui, by using an external streamer-if so, this may result in some improvement in the sound, maybe...
One other thing to consider is to provide some more isolation from noise on the home Network to the DAC, an external streamer could be an advantage here, especially an external streamer which uses optical Ethernet, which does not allow the passage of common mode noise from the rest of the Network.
Alternatively, one could also connect the onboard streamer of the Tambaqui with optical converters, having a really good optical converter such as the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe at the Tambaqui end, and a short Ethernet cable going from that converter to the Tambaqui, again isolating the Tambaqui from noise on the Network.
OR- add a $70 Wiim mini via optical?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
For a moment I thought I had accidentally opened ‘computer audiophile’ .
Keith

Veri

Master Contributor
Via USB? You can dabble with a Holo Audio Red. You'll probably like it. Pricy stuff, though
...so it'll probably go great with a Tambaqui :D

tparm

Forum Donor
I have a Mola Mola Kula integrated with DAC card (based on the Tambaqui). I just purchased a used Innuos Zen Mk3 an hour ago and look forward to this very comparison. I currently use Roon via the Tambaqui Ethernet port but my old laptop I use as a Core is dying a slow, loud death. As a result I began a search for a Core replacement (nearly bought a Small Green Computer) or a server/streamer. I spoke with both Bob at GTT (Mola Mola distributor) and Michael at Twittering Machines and both prefer the Tambaqui with an external streamer for improved sound quality. Bill is a distributor for Auralic but a genuine guy and I don't believe his conclusion to be self-serving. Michael and I approach music similarly and I appreciate his advice. Added bonuses for me are ability to store music files and rip CDs on the internal HDD, and use of the Innuos Sense app versus Roon. I'll be using the USB connection to my Kula from the Innuos. It should arrive sometime next week so after playing with it for a bit and using its tools I mentioned above I will be able to provide my personal impressions.

HookEm

I have a Mola Mola Kula integrated with DAC card (based on the Tambaqui). I just purchased a used Innuos Zen Mk3 an hour ago and look forward to this very comparison....I'll be using the USB connection to my Kula from the Innuos. It should arrive sometime next week so after playing with it for a bit and using its tools I mentioned above I will be able to provide my personal impressions.
Awesome!... Looking forward to your impressions. Thanks.

tparm

Forum Donor
Awesome!... Looking forward to your impressions. Thanks.
Took me a while to get back here, @HookEm as mentioned I bought a used Innuos Zen Mk3 which initially had issues with. It worked well as a Roon core, played CDs ripped to the HDD, Radio Paradise and music files I transferred from my laptop, but wouldn't stream Qobuz using the Sense app. Innuos remoted in this morning and found through a back-door the Qobuz plugin was disabled, all good now. After an hour of listening I can say the following; The lower frequencies are better controlled and detailed, mid-range about the same, and the top end slightly elevated but not in a harsh. Mostly, instrument separation and micro-details in the music is much more fleshed out, putting music more out into space making it, for me, a more enjoyable listen. If anything I am now curious what the Pulse with a better power supply and Mundorf (typically a little more laid back at the top) would sound like. Anyway, for what it's worth, I have a friend who buys and sells gear all day as he retired early due to a disability. He has had some incredible gear through his doors and currently has Neats powered by a Mimas integrated with the DAC card. He replaced his Node with external LPS with a Rose 150b that was problematic. Yesterday he added a demo Auralic Aries G1.1 and my goodness his entire system changed character. The rhythm and pace, layering of instruments, and resolving nature of the lower frequencies were transformed. Like one of the biggest changes in sound he's made. His DAC in the Mimas doesn't have streaming capabilities so little different than our situation, but I'd cast my vote for using an external streamer/server.

Top Bottom