• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modern Record Playback?

mppix

Hi All
Congratulations to the fantastic site and community.

I write as I am thinking of putting together a high quality (within the formats limits) record playback system.
I'd like to leverage modern technology (as opposed to a pure analog approach).

I am converging to a Technics SL1200G turntable, Parks Audio Puffin Preamp and an Ortofon 2M (black?) cartrige.

I have been away from records for a bit so I'd like to ask if you have any thoughts on the above system. Are there any components that I should consider?

Thank you.

OP
M

mppix

Park's Audio seems to suggest compatibility ability with may cartriges

However the review here suggests the puffin has limited sinad/headroom.
Is this an issue for low output MC?

Would it be better to combine such a cartrige with another preamp?

If useful: I feed the preamp to a digital audio interface anyway so I dont necessarily need all of the puffin's functionality.

areinert

Personally, I don’t worry about SINAD with phono. The medium has inherently higher distortion across the board. I enjoy it though, and already own a ton of LPs. I think it’s okay to be a bit subjective with phono as well. I think headroom is far more important in a phono stage personally. I went with a Darlington Labs MP-7 for that reason, and because it’s a small company that offers tremendous value. Sounds excellent. They also offer step up transformers if you’re interested in running MC. I would shoot them an email, fantastic customer service.

OP
M

mppix

Personally, I don’t worry about SINAD with phono. The medium has inherently higher distortion across the board. I enjoy it though, and already own a ton of LPs. I think it’s okay to be a bit subjective with phono as well. I think headroom is far more important in a phono stage personally. I went with a Darlington Labs MP-7 for that reason, and because it’s a small company that offers tremendous value. Sounds excellent. They also offer step up transformers if you’re interested in running MC. I would shoot them an email, fantastic customer service.
Thank you - I'll check it out.
How is headroom defined/specified for phone preamps? Could you perhaps point me to a reference?
I always thought it was overload capabilities without saturation but I'm not sure now.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The tt and cartridge are decent choices....but why the Puffin particularly?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All

I write as I am thinking of putting together a high quality (within the formats limits) record playback system.

I am converging to a Technics SL1200G turntable, Parks Audio Puffin Preamp and an Ortofon 2M (black?) cartrige.

I have been away from records for a bit so I'd like to ask if you have any thoughts on the above system. Are there any components that I should consider?

Thank you.
I’d say you should forget vinyl. I gave it up after almost 50 years and I’ve never been happier.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All

Thank you.
Another MC cartridge to consider for $750 is the Hana SH. I have the SL and I love it. If a MM is a must, consider the Nagaoka MP-500; can be ~$650 when purchased from Japan. I have the MP-300 on my second turntable and find it to be a joy. I will likely upgrade the stylus to the MP-500 when the stylus wears out.

The 2M Black is not for everybody (love it or hate it type); the Shibata stylus can be much more demanding in set-up to sound its best. There are some fine, lower-cost elliptical stylus alternatives that will sound brilliant with fewer set-up issues, like the Hana EH, Soundsmith Otello, and Nagaoka MP-200. I have the 2M Blue which is a good step-up cartridge, but I definitely prefer the MP-300 to it.

I recommend to people returning to vinyl that they start with a better cartridge below their price point and listen to 2 or 3 to determine what you like before settling for the long-haul. Unless the spend is not a factor, there is less heartburn discovering that your first cartridge is not your favorite when it's below your price point.

I'd also ask what about the Puffin piques your interest.

areinert

How is headroom defined/specified for phone preamps? Could you perhaps point me to a reference?
I always thought it was overload capabilities without saturation but I'm not sure now.
There has been some good discussion on here if you search, but probably the biggest advantage is to avoid clipping with surface noise. I’ve also found it really makes the clicks and pops less pronounced/distracting.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a Bryston phono (older BP-1.5) which has a large overload margin. It's out of production now, but the newer BP-2 has the same circuit topology using surface mount components for a smaller footprint. It's quite bit more expensive than either the Puffin or the Darlington, but info is below if you are curious.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a great bunch of components, but do you really want to have 5K+ USD invested in a vinyl playback system in 2022?

BJL

Hi All

Thank you.
I have a 1200GR, Puffin with the toslink (96/24) output, different cartridge. Sounds great, works great. My only suggestion would be to pass on the 1200G and get the 1200GR. I went back and forth on this and concluded that the 1200G was not worth the much higher price. Suggest to get the 1200GR and if you want to put some additional money into it, get a better cartridge. I have a Grado Reference3 (low output version), which I suppose is controversial because many people have a prejudice against or dislike Grado, but I am very happy with it, and they have terrific customer service. The Grado cartridges are perfectly compatible with the Technics tonearm.

Edit: I should add that the Puffin pre is terrific. It has eq curves for any LP, including historical curves if you have older vinyl, such as older Telefunken recordings, and the EQ curves are perfect. The input (amplification) stage is analog. Everything else is in the digital domain, until the analog output (which in my opinion is inferior to the digital output). You can play back stereo, mono (L/R combined), L or R, and create filters if needed. It records the hours/minutes on the cartridge (for monitoring wear), and has endless features. I particularly like the feature that grades the condition of the record, very handy if you buy or sell vinyl. My personal opinion though is to buy a unit with a digital output and use that. I like Toslink because the cables are cheap, bullet proof, and can go a long distance if needed. You can safely ignore the Puffin naysayers.

You can also ignore the vinyl haters. There are albums that are not available in any digital format, and albums that have been remixed and/or altered through remastering when released in digital format. There is still a place for vinyl, if you can afford it.

Last edited:
OP
M

mppix

The tt and cartridge are decent choices....but why the Puffin particularly?
Actually, I am "just" looking for a "good" phono-pre. I also looked at the Emotiva XPSv2, Schiit Mani, DJ Art (don't like the looks, sorry).

Puffin looks like a fun little device. I am just not sure if the analog section can keep up even with the much cheaper options listed above.

OP
M

mppix

Sounds like a great bunch of components, but do you really want to have 5K+ USD invested in a vinyl playback system in 2022?
This probably depends a lot on the person. I dont really think of audio as an investment but a purchase that I enjoy as long as it works well or life changes.

My wife and myself have both our own history with the format and would like to set something up for some time now. We are more than a little spoiled by lossless digital playback. Hence, I'd like to achieve something high quality (without ambition to compete with digital). Hence, I am asking the aficionados here for feedback/help.

OP
M

mppix

I have a 1200GR, Puffin with the toslink (96/24) output, different cartridge. Sounds great, works great. My only suggestion would be to pass on the 1200G and get the 1200GR. I went back and forth on this and concluded that the 1200G was not worth the much higher price. Suggest to get the 1200GR and if you want to put some additional money into it, get a better cartridge. I have a Grado Reference3 (low output version), which I suppose is controversial because many people have a prejudice against or dislike Grado, but I am very happy with it, and they have terrific customer service. The Grado cartridges are perfectly compatible with the Technics tonearm.

Edit: I should add that the Puffin pre is terrific. It has eq curves for any LP, including historical curves if you have older vinyl, such as older Telefunken recordings, and the EQ curves are perfect. The input (amplification) stage is analog. Everything else is in the digital domain, until the analog output (which in my opinion is inferior to the digital output). You can play back stereo, mono (L/R combined), L or R, and create filters if needed. It records the hours/minutes on the cartridge (for monitoring wear), and has endless features. I particularly like the feature that grades the condition of the record, very handy if you buy or sell vinyl. My personal opinion though is to buy a unit with a digital output and use that. I like Toslink because the cables are cheap, bullet proof, and can go a long distance if needed. You can safely ignore the Puffin naysayers.

You can also ignore the vinyl haters. There are albums that are not available in any digital format, and albums that have been remixed and/or altered through remastering when released in digital format. There is still a place for vinyl, if you can afford it.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I also looked at the gr. did you find any objective comparisons/measuremeets between the two?

areinert

This probably depends a lot on the person. I dont really think of audio as an investment but a purchase that I enjoy as long as it works well or life changes.

My wife and myself have both our own history with the format and would like to set something up for some time now. We are more than a little spoiled by lossless digital playback. Hence, I'd like to achieve something high quality (without ambition to compete with digital). Hence, I am asking the aficionados here for feedback/help.
I agree with BJL, if you’re set on a direct drive diminishing returns really hits at the 1200GR. The 1210 has same spec for wow and flutter. For belt drive, the Rega Planar 6 is where the diminished returns set in. If I had your budget, I’d pick up one of those, and the Audio-Technica OC9XML mentioned, or the VM740ML for a MM. They are price/performance kings for carts. For a phono preamp, the Darlington MP-7 with one of their step up transformers if going MC, or QHW The Vinyl has also gotten great feedback.

BJL

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I also looked at the gr. did you find any objective comparisons/measuremeets between the two?
No I have never seen an ASR style objective comparison. But all you have to do is look at the published specs for the two, they are identical in all important respects. No doubt the 1200G is a great turntable, but for all practical purposes (i.e. listening) the GR is just as good, once you get the cartridge in the mix. There are other more important considerations, cartridge match to the tonearm (you want medium compliance), VTA and cartridge alignment, and matching the cartridge output to the phono pre. The 1200G will certainly provide bragging rights, but for the money, I concluded it was not worth the expense. Of course, if I was one of the one per cent (which I am not) I might have bought the G/GAE and would surely have talked myself into believing that the audio quality is better, even if it is not.

BJL

Actually, I am "just" looking for a "good" phono-pre. I also looked at the Emotiva XPSv2, Schiit Mani, DJ Art (don't like the looks, sorry).

Puffin looks like a fun little device. I am just not sure if the analog section can keep up even with the much cheaper options listed above.
What the Puffin offers is perfect control over the analog input level (for cartridge matching) and output at the post ADC stage (to match to your amplifier, although I've never had to touch that control), perfectly accurate RIAA curve (and historical curves) and some features that are mainly relevant if you have very old records, and it is great if you plan to digitally record any of your LPs. It also has features that assist in setting the cartridge azimuth, perhaps not needed if you have a Technics table. But if you don't have a digital input downstream, it may not be worth the expense.

Top Bottom