• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mobile as source ?

ZzZzZ

Is output from iphone Lightning port (especially apple music lossless) to an external DAC and output from Android phone (which never is lossless) to an external DAC, devoid of noise and other drawbacks of laptop/desktop usb port to an external DAC ?
I have searched a lot but no one ever has analysed and compared the audio data quality of iPhone and Android phones when connected to an external DAC as source.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
output from Android phone (which never is lossless) to an external DAC.

That's not my understanding.

My LG phone can feed a DAC through USB without anything funky going on.

OP
ZzZzZ

ZzZzZ

I don't know about lg phones but my samsung s20 resamples everything to 96khz. Only few 3rd party app as UAPP etc are bitperfect.

OP
ZzZzZ

ZzZzZ

But question is about other artifacts like noise / jitter etc out of lightning or usb port of mobile.

Katji

Major Contributor
resamples everything
Does not mean it is not lossless.

I have searched a lot but no one ever has analysed and compared the audio data quality of iPhone and Android phones when connected to an external DAC as source.
Like with laptops. The best you can do is assume that the more high-end models are better. More likely to be better engineered in terms of isolation and so on.
...And maybe general impressions of what people say about it being better than what they had before and so on.

OP
ZzZzZ

ZzZzZ

Does not mean it is not lossless.

Like with laptops. The best you can do is assume that the more high-end models are better. More likely to be better engineered in terms of isolation and so on.
...And maybe general impressions of what people say about it being better than what they had before and so on.
So you mean to say costly mobile phone would be assumed to be having a better spec usb/lightning port ?

Katji

Major Contributor
Maybe not really assume, just more likely. Better chance. [i was just trying to avoid the word 'chance'.]

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
ZzZzZ

ZzZzZ

Maybe not really assume, just more likely. Better chance. [i was just trying to avoid the word 'chance'.]
I always thought ASR is always more about measurements rather than assumptions and subjective opinion, so posted this query here in ASR, if @amirm finds it intresting then we could possibly have a confirmed non biased opinion about lightning port of iPhone with usb of CCK vs usb port of Android vs usb port of laptop.

Katji

Major Contributor
USB implementation varies per device model and so on. ................The range of phones/models is huge.

OP
ZzZzZ

ZzZzZ

USB implementation varies per device model and so on. ................The range of phones/models is huge.
Imho, Usb vendors might be different but google must have made the implementation and quality of usb port more or less similar on all mobile phones using same type of usb running Android as OS ?

Top Bottom