• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade from Monitor Audio Silver RX2

VincentThys

Hi all,

new member here. Advice from you would be very welcome on this.

My system contains of:

- speakers: Monitor Audio Silver RX2 (older model)
- amp: NAD C355 bee (also old but plenty of power)
- sources: vinyl: Technics SL1200 mk 2 (the dj one) with Audio Technica cartridge and Project Phono Box s preamplifier. Tidal hifi: using or a Google Chromecast Audio or USB input of Marantz CD6005 (using its DAC)

I want to improve my speakers because:

- they've always sound harsh, very trebly. This appears to be a common problem with this tweeter.
- sound separation and clarity: I've recently bought my first good headphone (Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro) and amp/dac (ifi audio hip dac 2). I've never heard these details before on my speakers: panning between L and R, instrument separation without becoming muddy, punch (like the kickdrum of live performances but the DAC has a bass boost), general details of the recording like reverbs, small delays, vocal effects, etc.

My room is 10x5 m². But I only want quality in my living room which is 5x5 m². I've got got wooden floors everywhere and no acoustic threatment. I don't own this appartment so I can only add a carpet I guess.

Budget and ideas: I have 1.000 Euro now so I want to go second hand. I've been thinking of following bookshelf speakers (which I prefer)

- Kef R3: not the Meta, there are deals for the normal R3
- Monitor Audio Gold 100 gen 4
- Focal Aria 906

I'd like them to sound detailed and warm. I have Dynaudio studio monitors if I want flat flat.
I mostly listen to rock and singer song writers. Sometimes a bit electronic.

All help welcome! Thanks.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @VincentThys! Welcome to ASR.

For the KEF and Focal, you can find detailed measurements on Erin's Audio Corner:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_r3/
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/focal_aria_906/

The Focal's estimated in-room response shows somewhat elevated treble, so I don't think it'd be the right choice considering you want to get away from that kind of sound:
Estimated In-Room Response (3).png

Another speaker that seems to be worth looking into is the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/wharfedale_linton_85/

Brand new, it costs 930€ per pair.

OP
V

VincentThys

Thanks @staticV3 Heard of the brand of course but never auditioned. A shop not so far has them so I'll definitely take a look.

Thank you!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks @staticV3 Heard of the brand of course but never auditioned. A shop not so far has them so I'll definitely take a look.
Keep in mind that what you hear in a shop's demo room may be way off what the same set of speakers will sound like in your own living room.

OP
V

VincentThys

Yeah exactly. I guess the only good way would be the shop renting you the speakers (or more pairs) for a day or two. Maybe there's a business model there and I just have to change jobs and get a lot of cash to start this business. I'm mailing Elon Musk.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree with @staticV3 : Kef R3 more likely to be a good choice than the Focal 906 based on measurements (and reviewers' listening impressions for what that's worth). Lintons are an amazing value at €930, although my understanding is that the matching stands aren't really optional, but they don't add too much to the overall cost.

Also, definitely get some carpet on your floor - that's going to help no matter what speaker you have.

Oh, also, your Project phono box seems to perform very nicely based on Amir's measurements and review here, and that CD player is a solid device too, as is your turntable of course. Nice setup!

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you tried to address your issues with EQ?

OP
V

VincentThys

yeah @Shazb0t but only on the NAD amplifier. It sounds great on certain tracks, on others not at all. Anyway a lot of times, after half an hour I get ear fatigue. Too much treble, not enough warmth. On my headphones now, not at all. No doubt a wooden carpet floor isn't helping.

Penelinfi

You could add absorbers with a frame and feet at the bottom plus add weight at the wall floor area for more stability too .

Even a large polyfill style acoustic panel/insulation just by itself upon small shelves or plant stands/held with open frame bamboo tiered shelves. Behind the listening position

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had the Rx2 and they're excellent performers in their price tag ... and that 8" woofer really quick strong.

Maybe you have the tweeters facing at you? If that's the case, put the speakers parallel to each other (no "toe in") and then tell me.

If you want to buy a new speaker anyway and MA gives you fatigue ... please, don't buy Focal :)

Top Bottom