• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Metal plant stand = good speaker stand?

CauliflowerEars

I currently have these (different branding), but am considering something better looking:

Do (pictured below) rectangular metal plant stands make good speaker stands? As compared to the ones linked above or in general.
a) In terms of the audio science magic.
I've heard someone saying cheap stands can sometimes resonate ... Right now I have 4cm/1.57inch isolation pads underneath the speakers (not sure, if the rounded edge has to be in the front; I didn't like seeing their cheap logo). Anything else to make the stands good in terms of audio and vibrations? I live in an apartment block, with neighbours :)
b) In terms of stability.
The pillars are 1.2*1.2cm (0.47*0.47inches). Can buy thicker 1.6cm (0.63inches). It doesn't tip over, when I push the speakers a bit. A bit worried, if due to sound waves, the pillars might eventually twist? They are rectangular. Just the photo from underneath makes them look triangular-ish.

IMG_6393.jpg

ozzy9832001

If they are hollow or super light or both they are more prone to resonating. Whether that is audible will be up to you to decide. The soundwaves themselves won't cause them to twist, but overtime the weight of the speakers might.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do (pictured below) rectangular metal plant stands make good speaker stands? As compared to the ones linked above or in general.
The main objective and quality of a speaker stand is to place the speakers at the proper height in relation to your ears at your listening location. If you have different choices of height those should do just fine.
An other advantage of speaker stand over placing speakers on a shelve, is that the stand can be located in a location in your room optimising how your speakers will sound in that room and how well define the stereo image might be perceived from your listening location. Again, those should do just fine.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
If you are worried that your stands might tip over, you could put some bricks at the bottom to weigh them down. That will lower the center of gravity and make them more stable.

You can find out if your stands are resonating by touching them while music is playing. Experimenters have deduced that the upper limit of sensitivity of your fingertips to vibration is between 1500-2000Hz, depending on amplitude. If you strike your stands with a metal object like a spoon, that will tell you what frequency they resonate at. If you think resonance is a problem, you could try some silicon sealant to stop leakage, and then fill the stands with sand or epoxy.

Thicker stands would be more stable due to the extra weight, and if you fill them up with something they would be even more stable still.

I don't think you need to worry about twisting stands. Those stands you have appear to be welded. They should be rigid enough.

BTW, a lot of speaker stands have 3 feet, or 3 points of contact instead of 4. The reason is to stop the stand from rocking if the 4 feet are not at the exact same length or if your floor is uneven. You should check if your stands are rocking, and then shim it with some paper or card.

OP
C

CauliflowerEars

If you are worried that your stands might tip over, you could put some bricks at the bottom to weigh them down. That will lower the center of gravity and make them more stable.

You can find out if your stands are resonating by touching them while music is playing. Experimenters have deduced that the upper limit of sensitivity of your fingertips to vibration is between 1500-2000Hz, depending on amplitude. If you strike your stands with a metal object like a spoon, that will tell you what frequency they resonate at. If you think resonance is a problem, you could try some silicon sealant to stop leakage, and then fill the stands with sand or epoxy.

Thicker stands would be more stable due to the extra weight, and if you fill them up with something they would be even more stable still.

I don't think you need to worry about twisting stands. Those stands you have appear to be welded. They should be rigid enough.

BTW, a lot of speaker stands have 3 feet, or 3 points of contact instead of 4. The reason is to stop the stand from rocking if the 4 feet are not at the exact same length or if your floor is uneven. You should check if your stands are rocking, and then shim it with some paper or card.
Thank you, this is very insightful!
1. When I strike the plant stands with a teaspoon, the response is a short, fairly low sound. With the linked, adjustable stands, it's a longer and higher sound. Does this mean the plant stands might resonate less?
2. In the end of the day, would any possible resonance be a problem? How/when could it be heard? So far, the room is untreated and it's a living room, so lots of other object around anyway.
3. Yes, they are welded and the seller listed them as able to stand 15 kg (but this could be made up). Seems the pillars can be filled. I guess better less than half way, to keep the centre of gravity low. Wouldn't loose sand make sound with the vibrations?
IMG_6397.jpg

If they are hollow or super light or both they are more prone to resonating. Whether that is audible will be up to you to decide. The soundwaves themselves won't cause them to twist, but overtime the weight of the speakers might.
Thank you! How sure are you about the possible twists over time, due to the weight?

The main objective and quality of a speaker stand is to place the speakers at the proper height in relation to your ears at your listening location. If you have different choices of height those should do just fine.
An other advantage of speaker stand over placing speakers on a shelve, is that the stand can be located in a location in your room optimising how your speakers will sound in that room and how well define the stereo image might be perceived from your listening location. Again, those should do just fine.
Thank you! With all the expensive stands around, I wasn't sure, if I maybe was thinking too simplistically about them. Sounds like I wasn't :)

Tassin

FWIW, this might help you.

Top Bottom