• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's good. Because most listen with their eyes. The eyes are a much more powerful influence on our brains than the ears.
YO @amirm Maybe we should make watching this video a requirement for joining the membership. ;)
I used to view it like the "you can lead a horse to water, but cannot make it drink", but I've become more philosophical about it, because ultimately our perception of life is experiential. Some are happy to study/learn and some just want to play.
That's all hypothetical mobo-jombo.
What's any of that got to do with a person coming on a science based audio site with claims of things they hear, but offering no evidence and refusing to attempt them?
"I hear it, so it is so.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
There's only one reason why a humble reminder to "golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time..." would go on for 120 pages.

Still need help? It's not the people who don't believe in fairy tales about their golden ears.

It is extremely fascinating how impossible for some people is to get over the fact they like something. I hope we get an interesting study (based on measurements ;) ), something like the (over-abused) Dunning–Kruger but concerning the fact that some people believe that when they like something it becomes a fact just as indisputable as any other fact.

Funny how no one said Lloyd Kaufman's movies are not trash!!! How dare you. I like those movies.

Here's a shocker; something you like CAN be worse! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

But any day now. It won't be long.

Here2Learn

YO @amirm Maybe we should make watching this video a requirement for joining the membership. ;)

That's all hypothetical mobo-jombo.
What's any of that got to do with a person coming on a science based audio site with claims of things they hear, but offering no evidence and refusing to attempt them?
"I hear it, so it is so.
We can deride them coming to this science-based site for explanations and then ignoring the science, or if they provide subjective explanations/experiences to an audience that is seeking a scientific approach and its application(s).

But people don't have to accept the measurement approach to experiential enjoyment, which is how they ultimately listen. That approach may not have an end, be accurate, or get where they want to, but the illusion might give them just as much happiness as an objectivist who takes a shorter science-based route to a top-tier system.

Here's a shocker; something you like CAN be worse!
The idea that something that measures better is more transparent is true.
The follow-on that many objectivists seem to inappropriately apply is that everybody prefers transparency, when it is only the majority who have this tendency. So it is not an absolute.
And if it is not an absolute, then we cannot claim that objectively better measuring is absolutely better. It depends on the individual - who we didn't measure.
Measuring equipment is is only half the science. The other half is measuring the individual listening to it. They need to know if they prefer transparency or some type of distortion, what distortion types and so on. Then they can use science.
For those subjectivists who are enjoying crappy equipment as "bliss", why are we so sure that they would prefer better measuring? Did we objectively measure that individuals preferences to objectively KNOW? No we did not. So we need to reign it in a little.

So for the individual who does not prefer better measuring... who we did not objectively measure in terms of what they do prefer.... why should we deride them? We have no objective basis to do so and it is absolutely unobjective and unscientific when we do so.

Also, that individual may have tried better measuring kit and not preferred it, so the objectivists arguments then seem to carry no weight with that persons first-hand experience, even if done level-matched and double-blind.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
We can deride them coming to this science-based site for explanations and then ignoring the science, or if they provide subjective explanations/experiences to an audience that is seeking a scientific approach and its application(s).

But people don't have to accept the measurement approach to experiential enjoyment, which is how they ultimately listen. That approach may not have an end, be accurate, or get where they want to, but the illusion might give them just as much happiness as an objectivist who takes a shorter science-based route to a top-tier system.

The idea that something that measures better is more transparent is true.
The follow-on that many objectivists seem to inappropriately apply is that everybody prefers transparency, when it is only the majority who have this tendency. So it is not an absolute.
And if it is not an absolute, then we cannot claim that objectively better measuring is absolutely better. It depends on the individual - who we didn't measure.
Measuring equipment is is only half the science. The other half is measuring the individual listening to it. They need to know if they prefer transparency or some type of distortion, what distortion types and so on. Then they can use science.
For those subjectivists who are enjoying crappy equipment as "bliss", why are we so sure that they would prefer better measuring? Did we objectively measure that individuals preferences to objectively KNOW? No we did not. So we need to reign it in a little.

So for the individual who does not prefer better measuring... who we did not objectively measure in terms of what they do prefer.... why should we deride them? We have no objective basis to do so and it is absolutely unobjective and unscientific when we do so.

Also, that individual may have tried better measuring kit and not preferred it, so the objectivists arguments then seem to carry no weight with that persons first-hand experience, even if done level-matched and double-blind.
You just kept on confusing "I like" with "it's better". Not a real step forward.

Here2Learn

You just kept on confusing "I like" with "it's better". Not a real step forward.
I'm suggesting both objectivist and subjectivist camps are doing that.

I did not mention what "I like" or what is or is not "better". I was talking about how objectivists say something measuring better absolutely is "better", when you yourself said people may prefer something that measures worse (which is true). And therefore, measuring "better" is not an absolute for application to everybody like a prescription, just those individuals who do prefer more transparency.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

I did not mention what "I like" or what is or is not "better". I was talking about how objectivists say something measuring better absolutely is "better", when you yourself said people may prefer something that measures worse (which is true). And therefore, measuring "better" is not an absolute for application to everybody like a prescription, just those individuals who do prefer more transparency.
So a glass of water isn't "better" than a glass of anti-freeze?
That anti-freeze tastes sooo good. ?
LOL

Here2Learn

So a glass of water isn't "better" than a glass of anti-freeze?
That anti-freeze tastes sooo good. ?
LOL
While an attempt at a reducto absurdum argument....
Actually to somebody, it might just taste "soo good".
That's the point.
You haven't measured everybody's preference to know what is good for everybody. So no blanket statement can be made.
Equally, the data on preferences for audio suggests most tend to prefer greater transparancy. Not all. So there will be some saying "this sounds soo good" and it measures like crap.
So your point works for me :)

killdozzer

Major Contributor

See! Again; "preferring" and "better". You're firmly lost in those categories. ;) Reproduction has a rather simple goal; someone played something and you want to hear it afterwards. So it less than complicated discerning what's better. Liking is a whole other category. I even hear some people put pineapple on their pizza.

Here2Learn

See! Again; preferring and better. You're firmly lost in those categories. ;) Reproduction has a rather simply goal; someone played something and you want to hear it afterwards. So it less than complicated discerning what's better. Liking is a whole other category. I even hear some people put pineapple on their pizza.
I see what you mean and I kind of agree.
But from the experiential context of listening, I am saying objectivists tend to promote better measuring as what somebody should listen to AND as what they will prefer. Yes, "prefer" again. But nobody reading this is acknowledging the main point. "Better" from a measurement perspective does not equate to preference (as you're highlighting), but we (objectivists) often behave as if it does and are quite prescriptive in how something should be approached, when we know nothing of the individual we are advising.

On reproduction - that's a big can of worms. I accept the idiom that if we record an orchestra and replay the sound from the proverbial best seat in the house (whatever that is) without anything altered, it would be ideal reproduction.

If we introduce preference to the mix - well, whether everybody prefers it unadulterated is something else entirely.

I'm with everybody else on here for making the recording and production chain as transparent (measurably) as possible.

But, if preference comes in, I'm sure not everybody will like it. And we couldn't really suggest they should. Maybe they would have preferred a different original performance, or one with some distortion of some kind. We just don't know.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Here2Learn was doing no such thing. He was quite careful in how he was parsing the concepts. He was pointing out that when you say "you can prefer something that is WORSE" that you were assuming a value judgement that actually muddies the waters. Something that measures "worse" may be "worse" if you strictly value a certain type of measured performance. Or it might be "worse" in terms of your own subjective judgement, and even that of the judgement of many people. But if an individual can prefer the sound of something that "measures worse" then, as Here2Learn pointed out, you have no grounds...except your own value judgement...to call it "worse" in his/her case. (And Here2Learn points out unless you've done blind tests for preference or whatever with the individual in question, you can't simply declare you have the evidence they prefer X or Y).

I actually found your post on this more confusing than Here2Learn:

It is extremely fascinating how impossible for some people is to get over the fact they like something.

Why would anyone want to "get over the fact" they like something?????

What does that even mean?

but concerning the fact that some people believe that when they like something it becomes a fact just as indisputable as any other fact.

If someone finds they like something that IS a fact. There can be various explanations for why they like it, but if they like it...they like it.

So I'm unclear what point you mean to make with what seems to be vague language.

Are you talking about when a "subjectivist" audiophile says, for instance, "I like AC cable A more than AC cable B?" And that they therefore presume from this that their "liking" means there is a fact there is a difference to "like" at all?

If that's what you are referring to, I think it would be clearer to say you are concerned: "that some people think they hear something it becomes a fact as indisputable as any other fact." That would remove the ambiguity, because otherwise your complaint seems ambiguous at best, wrong at worst.

Could you clear up what you mean? Thanks.

Last edited:

Here2Learn

@MattHooper Thanks, I guess somebody understood what I was driving at. I thought I was just having a bad day communicating. But you explained my gist better than I did.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to view it like the "you can lead a horse to water, but cannot make it drink", but I've become more philosophical about it, because ultimately our perception of life is experiential. Some are happy to study/learn and some just want to play.

A good analogy is this....

We can use science to detect an increase in Ghrelin, and study all the biochemical markers to deduce what a person needs for a particular meal for optimum health and physical performance. We could tell them they are hungry and exactly what they need to eat. But they just go on the feelings of their gut and want the KFC meal. In many ways, what's best for them won't be a satisfactory meal and what is not best for them literally IS what they want.

So giving them science, asking them to apply science etc, is a bit like telling giving them a prescription for something they don't want, versus a gut feeling for something they do want. They go on their feelings and experiential nature and are satisfied by simply indulging in that aspect, without applying thought.

And if one considers what it would be like to have a prescribed meal every time we eat, versus what the human-condition is hankering for based on feelings, I think we can all see that just going on gut feel here is going to be compelling. We're not all calculating our meals due to objectivity are we?

I'm not saying objectivity has no validity - it definitely does. But people are individuals and some cannot be bothered to learn and apply science as they just want to indulge in the experiential aspect of life and will base decisions based on experience and/or feelings, not rational thought.

The "impossible to overcome an irrational and unfounded belief with a rational rebuttal" is exactly right. Color doesn't really exist, but you experience it and utilize the ability of your first-hand perception to be safe at traffic lights and such. We don't abandon our evolved mechanism for something that measures wavelength to tell us what 'red' is at traffic lights. It's no surprise that the evolved mechanisms that enabled species survival are ingrained in to people's psychology as something they wish to rely on. It's not stupidity or irrationality per se - it's just human nature itself.

Excellent post! Good analogy!

I see your post, if I've understood it correctly, as saying "Yes people don't always respond to reason, and yes they are being irrational in rejecting evidence against their belief, but there's a good explanation for that." In other words, it's a case of over-relying on a sort of heuristic - accepting the reliability of our perception - that is actually rational in many or most cases. And, correct me if I'm wrong, I think you even imply there is therefore a certain rationality to their reaction...even if it happens it leads them astray sometimes. (?)

I've made points very similar to yours (though not precisely the above) in terms of cautioning about the overreach of judging other people's beliefs as irrational or "anti-science."

And I've used the analogy to cooking as well.

The vast majority of what everyone here is doing all day is not scientific. We are not putting every decision we make through a process of scientific vetting, controlling for all relevant variables, to arrive at decisions with scientific levels of confidence. That is impractical to the point of impossible.
It is irrational to expect the impossible, therefore it's most rational to make decisions based on what is practical for us to do.

So if we are in to cooking, we may be trying different recipes, sharing recipes with others, tweaking recipes to our satisfaction etc. None of this is done in the context of scientific controls. I felt the recipe needed a bit more salt, I added a bit more, it tasted a bit more salty as I wanted. Could bias have been involved? Certainly. Maybe it tasted a bit more salty merely from my expectations, since I know I just added more salt. Or...it's also entirely plausible that adding more salt indeed made it taste more salty. Since we don't have the means to scientifically controll all such everyday inferences, it's entirely practical and reasonable to go with what our senses seem to be telling us, when cooking in this manner.

It's "un-scientific" in that sense, but that doesn't mean it is "Anti-Science" or opposed to, or in rejection of science. It's precisely the practical, rational way forward you'd have to use to get through life, and is entirely compatible with science. When it becomes incompatible, or when the "un-scientific" becomes the "anti-scientific," I think is when we violate the heuristic "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." In other words, if I think adding more salt increases the salty taste, that's a plausible proposition that doesn't violate any of our scientific knowledge. But if I'm practicing cooking like homeopathy, thinking that adding a drip of liquid that once had salt in it, but possesses zero salt molecules, but think this will change the taste of the dish (and it won't just be my imagination), then I've become anti-scientific in my thinking.

I approach audio the same way. I like hearing all sorts of different attempts in making audio gear - the wild, wacky, the scientifically designed, etc. And I scale my confidence levels to the degree that what I seem to perceive is plausible. I think I hear a big bass hump with the speakers positioned close to my back wall that smooths out when I re-position them? Could be bias...but it's technically plausible enough for me to, as a practical matter, go with my perception (even though it could be ratified with greater precision with measurements etc).

On the other hand: If I think I see a difference in picture quality between two working HDMI cables? That's so technically implausible I'd be suspicious enough to want some new plausible theory or better evidence, e.g. controlling for bias effects, for it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50321

A good analogy is this....

We can use science to detect an increase in Ghrelin, and study all the biochemical markers to deduce what a person needs for a particular meal for optimum health and physical performance. We could tell them they are hungry and exactly what they need to eat. But they just go on the feelings of their gut and want the KFC meal. In many ways, what's best for them won't be a satisfactory meal and what is not best for them literally IS what they want.

So giving them science, asking them to apply science etc, is a bit like telling giving them a prescription for something they don't want, versus a gut feeling for something they do want. They go on their feelings and experiential nature and are satisfied by simply indulging in that aspect, without applying thought.

And if one considers what it would be like to have a prescribed meal every time we eat, versus what the human-condition is hankering for based on feelings, I think we can all see that just going on gut feel here is going to be compelling. We're not all calculating our meals due to objectivity are we?

I'm not saying objectivity has no validity - it definitely does. But people are individuals and some cannot be bothered to learn and apply science as they just want to indulge in the experiential aspect of life and will base decisions based on experience and/or feelings, not rational thought.

The "impossible to overcome an irrational and unfounded belief with a rational rebuttal" is exactly right. Color doesn't really exist, but you experience it and utilize the ability of your first-hand perception to be safe at traffic lights and such. We don't abandon our evolved mechanism for something that measures wavelength to tell us what 'red' is at traffic lights. It's no surprise that the evolved mechanisms that enabled species survival are ingrained in to people's psychology as something they wish to rely on. It's not stupidity or irrationality per se - it's just human nature itself.
Exactly. Beauty is in the eye/ear of the beholder. If we all found exactly the same potential partner-as empirically identified by a beauty id machine-we would have problems.

Here2Learn

Excellent post! Good analogy!

I see your post, if I've understood it correctly, as saying "Yes people don't always respond to reason, and yes they are being irrational in rejecting evidence against their belief, but there's a good explanation for that." In other words, it's a case of over-relying on a sort of heuristic - accepting the reliability of our perception - that is actually rational in many or most cases. And, correct me if I'm wrong, I think you even imply there is therefore a certain rationality to their reaction...even if it happens it leads them astray sometimes. (?)

I've made points very similar to yours (though not precisely the above) in terms of cautioning about the overreach of judging other people's beliefs as irrational or "anti-science."

<snipped for brevity>

On the other hand: If I think I see a difference in picture quality between two working HDMI cables? That's so technically implausible I'd be suspicious enough to want some new plausible theory or better evidence, e.g. controlling for bias effects, for it.
This is exactly everything I meant.

The Carl Sagan quote is always apt. Along with Feyman's "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is exactly everything I meant.

The Carl Sagan quote is always apt. Along with Feyman's "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."

That Feyman quote is what I emphasize in discussions with the pure subjectivist crowd, and it's amazing how hard it is for them to accept it.
It's just fascinating to see "the mind on bias." I can give all manner of non-audio examples of how bias operates, any number of studies, and there may be grudging acceptance that "ok, sure, it's a good idea to do double-blind placebo controlled studies for medicine" or whatever. But when it comes to their pet hobby? It all stops there. Like audio exists within some epistemic bubble of it's own. "Science is good for those other things, but not for MY thing."

As someone who has looked in to and interacted with all sorts of dubious belief systems, that's pretty much the calling card response for all of them.
Nobody wants to be seen as anti-science...but they want to find exceptions for Their Thing.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ASR parses the difference between what you hear and what you perceive.

If you really understand that sentence, that’s all you need, and if you don’t then you need to read more ASR.

That’s my advice.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So if we are in to cooking, we may be trying different recipes, sharing recipes with others, tweaking recipes to our satisfaction etc.
Apples and oranges Matt.
Cooking is to taste, no right or wrong, no absolute here.
High Fidelity contains its own description, there is clearly an absolute, the reproduction of whats on the source. High Fidelity.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apples and oranges Matt.
Cooking is to taste, no right or wrong, no absolute here.
High Fidelity contains its own description, there is clearly an absolute, the reproduction of whats on the source. High Fidelity.

That misses the point Sal.

It wasn't about preference; my post concerned what it was reasonable to believe or not (given practical concerns).

The example of adding salt, for instance, didn't have to do with whether you like food more salty, but whether it's reasonable to believe that having added a bit of extra salt did indeed make the food taste more salty (in the context that you are not measuring chemistry or using scientific controls when cooking).

If you agree, then you I presume you agree with my point that an "unscientific" inference - that is lacking measurements or scientific controls - doesn't, in of itself, equate to "being anti-science" or "being wrong" or "being unreasonable."

We make such inferences all day long without scientific controls, because that's the practical option we are often left with. Audio is no different. We can make decisions about our audio gear and what we are hearing even when using scientific precision is impractical, and this can be reasonable so long as we aren't coming to beliefs that contradict science. I gave the example of hearing a major bass node with speakers too close to the back wall, and hearing the bass even out by repositioning the speakers. Could we be wrong in what we perceive? Sure. Would room/speaker measurements and/or a scientific level of controls - blind listening - afford more reliability and raise confidence levels? Sure.

But that's not always practical to say the least. Given the plausibility of a speaker's bass being audibly augmented by boundary re-enforcement, even lacking specific measurements, there is nothing unreasonable about thinking we are perceiving such an effect, and adjusting for it. Same with it being reasonable to think something tastes more salty after adding more salt, even if we aren't doing science or chemical engineering while cooking.

I hope that is clear now. Would you disagree?

Top Bottom