• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring room acoustics using a LDC or dynamic and REW/ARC3?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I would like to measure my room acoustics and am wondering if it's possible to do this with one of my existing mics :-

LDC's

Vanguard V13
Shure KSM32
JZ V11
Audio Technica AT4040
Blue Baby Bottle SL
Miktek MK300
SE Electronics SE2300

Dynamics

Telefunken M80
Sennheiser E945
Sennheiser E838

Would I be able to use one of these mics with either REW or IK's ARC3 instead of purchasing a measurement mic?

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can use whatever microphone you want to measure your room acoustics.

How accurate your measurements will be, depends on the microphone quality.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Measurement requires calibration, which is the tricky bit. Any microphone will theoretically do if you know how much it diverges from a flat frequency amplitude.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A measurement mic isn't necessarily flat but it comes with a calibration/correction file.

Unique Calibration File Download

All UMIK-1 are calibrated with a unique calibration file. In addition, a unique auto-generated 90-degree calibration file for use with surround system applications. To download the calibration files, look for the 7 digit Serial Number found on the body of the microphone.

1. Enter the serial number in the form below (three digits then four digits e.g. 700-XXXX).
  2. Your calibration files will automatically download in most browsers. If not, click on the links provided to manually download.

In addition, USB calibration mics are calibrated for SPL. (With an analog mic, the electrical/digital level depends on preamp/interface gain.)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The ultimate accuracy of the mic doesn’t really matter that much for our purpose as we are just looking at the difference.
Keith

OP
D

dickiefunk

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention I also have a pair of Rode NT55's with cardioid and omni capsules.

No. 5

One of those NT55's with an omni capsule is most likely pretty flat below 2kHz or so, above that it's probably still pretty flat on axis but due to the larger body/capsule diameter it will be more directional than a smaller mic. In other words, it'll work fine, just be aware the the very high frequencies will appear a bit lower in level than they actually are.

OP
D

dickiefunk

One of those NT55's with an omni capsule is most likely pretty flat below 2kHz or so, above that it's probably still pretty flat on axis but due to the larger body/capsule diameter it will be more directional than a smaller mic. In other words, it'll work fine, just be aware the the very high frequencies will appear a bit lower in level than they actually are.
Thanks.

Top Bottom