• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MA9000 vs Cambridge Audio Edge A

veeceem

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are pretty easy to compare. The McIntosh is three times the price. You get three times the power. Twice the weight. Double the meter count. Fifteen times the knobs, buttons and switches. That is how I'd spec it out. Sonically? I doubt you'd hear any difference, at least if you matched levels closely.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I h
MA9000's measurements:
https://www.hifinews.com/content/mcintosh-ma9000-integrated-ampdac-lab-report

Cambridge Audio Edge A's measurements:
https://www.hifinews.com/content/cambridge-audio-edge-integrated-ampdac-lab-report

I was about to purchase the Edge A then informed of MA9000.
I wonder if MA9000 will be a better pick?Or both are already at the no-audible-difference-can-be-heard stage? (performance-wise)

Speaker is Tannoy Kengsinton GR with 89dB @ 8ohm
Thanks

The only thing I have to offer is that I had the MA7900 and really liked it. Lots of power, built in DAC and Phono (like the MA9000). I wouldn't have ever sold it if it has room correction. For a while I used a Minidsp ddrc24 with it to provide Dirac and it worked pretty well. Finally ended up selling it because it didn't have any room EQ functions. I still loved the McIntosh look and performance of their amps and with a seperate amp (MC252) and used a Minidsp SHD for the preamp. Couldn't be happier. So my only comment would be if you want to add room correction at some point, it will take another device which may or may not matter.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I wonder if MA9000 will be a better pick?

It will always have a better residual value and much higher resale appeal than the Cambridge or the Hypex modules-in-a-box mentioned above.

It's a ton of money, but if you only want one integrated amplifier, it'd be very hard to go past and will be a joy to own. The amplifier performance is truly excellent according to the link you posted.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're both overpriced for what they offer. But paired with any of the best performing DACs that have been measured here, these sure aren't...

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/nord-one-hypex-mp-multichannel
My only comment regarding McIntosh prices is in regards to total cost of ownership.If you purchase used or from a place like audio classics, your resale value will be fairly close to what you paid for it. I purchased a MA7900 from audio classics which they said was in A1 or B1 (can’t recall) condition, and it was new. There aren’t many electronics that don’t lose there value like McIntosh. They are expensive, and you can get much less expensive components, but often times you can come out ahead because they hold their value so well. If you purchase new, well, that is a different story.

To the OP, have fun with your shopping.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
McIntosh are one of those brands that sit outside normal selection criteria thanks to their love it/hate it retro styling and the borderline obsessiveness of some of their fans. The oft made comparison with Harley Davidson is very apt. And the strong resale values mean that despite the high price it is actually not a silly decision to buy their gear, as you'll get a good price if you get sick of it and decide to sell. However, not for me, if I was going to buy an exquisitely made integrated amplifier which primarily appeals on the basis of build quality and brand kudos I'd go for Accuphase. But that's just me.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I confess to owning a McIntosh MA6900 (200/400 wpc integrated) and never having regretted it, despite listening to many many other systems since buying it. It can drive any speaker without raising a sweat, and mine go down to 2-3 ohms. And I actually find the meters useful. I do use an outboard headphone amp. The point about resale value is valid. If you ever tire of it, cash it out for your next crush. But I have a hunch that day will never come.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I confess to owning a McIntosh MA6900.
I don't think that purchase requires a 'confession'. It's certainly not a mortal sin, and could not even be considered venial by any but the most orthodox high priests of tweako audio.

But seriously, I was actually thinking of buying one, and cross shopped it with a similarly priced Lux integrated. But I finally decided on something completely different at the same price point. The thing about McIntosh... in 20 years you can probably sell it for close to what you paid for it (albeit in inflato-dollars), if history repeats itself.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think that purchase requires a 'confession'. It's certainly not a mortal sin, and could not even be considered venial by any but the most orthodox high priests of tweako audio.

But seriously, I was actually thinking of buying one, and cross shopped it with a similarly priced Lux integrated. But I finally decided on something completely different at the same price point. The thing about McIntosh... in 20 years you can probably sell it for close to what you paid for it (albeit in inflato-dollars), if history repeats itself.
In some Audiophile circles Mac suffers from the "it's too common so it must not be that good" attitude. I bought mine before I was aware of published specs, so I was inspired by a glowing Sam Tellig review and decided based on hours and hours of competitive listening v. all the other integrateds out there, using my own speakers. The only one competitive was a Mark Levinson at 50% more expensive. The Mac left the Krell integrated for dead in a ditch.

Regarding selling it, there are listings at this moment on Hi-Fi Shark for exactly what I paid - but yes, 17 years of inflation cooked in.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The interesting thing about this series from Cambridge Audio is that they claim to have used some blind testing in developing it, presumably finding differences:

"The team auditioned each component used in Edge by using the most important tool of all: their ears. The final components were blind tested in countless listening sessions. Cost and measured performance were disregarded in favour of sonic performance alone. If the music made our feet tap, it made the cut."
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/blog/making-edge-5-key-technologies

But they have published no protocols or test results anywhere... If we had real hifi journalists, they would have pressed Cambridge on what they mean by this.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
MA9000's measurements:
https://www.hifinews.com/content/mcintosh-ma9000-integrated-ampdac-lab-report

Cambridge Audio Edge A's measurements:
https://www.hifinews.com/content/cambridge-audio-edge-integrated-ampdac-lab-report

I was about to purchase the Edge A then informed of MA9000.
I wonder if MA9000 will be a better pick?Or both are already at the no-audible-difference-can-be-heard stage? (performance-wise)

Speaker is Tannoy Kengsinton GR with 89dB @ 8ohm
Thanks
I don't understand why you are comparing these 2. That would be like comparing a VW Golf with a Mercedes S-Class (I know, I know, another stupid car analogy ;) ).

Litemup

McIntosh are one of those brands that sit outside normal selection criteria thanks to their love it/hate it retro styling and the borderline obsessiveness of some of their fans. The oft made comparison with Harley Davidson is very apt. And the strong resale values mean that despite the high price it is actually not a silly decision to buy their gear, as you'll get a good price if you get sick of it and decide to sell. However, not for me, if I was going to buy an exquisitely made integrated amplifier which primarily appeals on the basis of build quality and brand kudos I'd go for Accuphase. But that's just me.
Yes, Accuphase has incredible build quality as this is the company’s absolute goal. The CEO refuses to expand and produce more units because he is afraid the QC will diminish.

Reactions: wje

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand why you are comparing these 2. That would be like comparing a VW Golf with a Mercedes S-Class (I know, I know, another stupid car analogy ;) ).
I would not compare a Golf to an S. Although John Phillips lately of C/D had no problems making the comparison (albiet keeping their prices in context). In fact it would be better to compare, say, the Golf R to a Porsche 911 Turbo S. A lot of fun for less than a quarter of the price. Essentially made by the same company, or at least under the same corporate umbrella. Alternately, a Turbo S could be considered a poor man's Bugatti.

Which brings me to my point--car companies tend to have a range of lines, all with somewhat similar 'DNA' and at different price points. Is there an analogy in hi-fi?

Back in the day (at least in Japan) you had Exclusive (and perhaps TAD) at the top, and then the regular Pioneer line. Pioneer tried that in the US with their 'Series 20' sub-brand. In fact, they ran a goofy advertising program comparing themselves to McIntosh. That shameless episode lasted about a year.

Accuphase could be considered a Kenwood offshoot, although I don't know that Kenwood had any long-term ties with them.

When Madrigal absorbed Levinson the company offered a lower end line using a different brand name which they attempted (at least informally) to suggest was a poor man's Mark Levinson.

McIntosh once had a 'low end' line called Stereotech, but I don't think it was successful. In the days of toobs, Dyna was often called 'the poor man's McIntosh.' In fact, in the '50s Mac offered kits of their amplifier--for the budget minded high-ender.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I would not compare a Golf to an S. Although John Phillips lately of C/D had no problems making the comparison (albiet keeping their prices in context). In fact it would be better to compare, say, the Golf R to a Porsche 911 Turbo S. A lot of fun for less than a quarter of the price. Essentially made by the same company, or at least under the same corporate umbrella. Alternately, a Turbo S could be considered a poor man's Bugatti.

Which brings me to my point--car companies tend to have a range of lines, all with somewhat similar 'DNA' and at different price points. Is there an analogy in hi-fi?

Back in the day (at least in Japan) you had Exclusive (and perhaps TAD) at the top, and then the regular Pioneer line. Pioneer tried that in the US with their 'Series 20' sub-brand. In fact, they ran a goofy advertising program comparing themselves to McIntosh. That shameless episode lasted about a year.

Accuphase could be considered a Kenwood offshoot, although I don't know that Kenwood had any long-term ties with them.

When Madrigal absorbed Levinson the company offered a lower end line using a different brand name which they attempted (at least informally) to suggest was a poor man's Mark Levinson.

McIntosh once had a 'low end' line called Stereotech, but I don't think it was successful. In the days of toobs, Dyna was often called 'the poor man's McIntosh.' In fact, in the '50s Mac offered kits of their amplifier--for the budget minded high-ender.
Accuphase was founded by a Trio/Kenwood engineer and there seems to have been some connection after that. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuphase>

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there really any reason to get the MA9000 vs the MA8900? Yes, the 9000 has an extra 100 wpc but will one ever be able to tell any difference with reasonably efficient speakers?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I had a MA7900, I used the variable loudness control and 5 band tone controls a lot. They worked really well and something I still miss.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there really any reason to get the MA9000 vs the MA8900? Yes, the 9000 has an extra 100 wpc but will one ever be able to tell any difference with reasonably efficient speakers?
Depends on the size of your room. I have an MA6900 with 200 wpc and have clipped 3 times in 17 years. Those were good parties!

Top Bottom