• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio or Audiophonics?

archerious

I've been looking at March's P122 (NC122MP) and Audiophonics NC122MP amps.

The price difference is insane, $652.80+$80 shipping total of $732.80, vs $416 USD (307.50 euros + 41 euros for shipping).

I have to ask, will the Audiophonics version measure that much worse?

P122 beat out the NC500 and several other amps in Amir's tests at: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_DAC_Performance_Index/

Just a tough call as the price difference isn't minor at all.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would spend the difference in a higher powered module like the NC252MP or even NC502MP from Audiophonics then.

OP
archerious

archerious

I would spend the difference in a higher powered module like the NC252MP or even NC502MP from Audiophonics then.

But they measure worse though? Iom cube is 252 and got way worse than P122.

It seems only NC400, purifi 400, and NC1200 scored better.

nc252.PNG

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Better to check their datasheets directly than comparing different implementations imo.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Better to check their datasheets directly than comparing different implementations imo.
Implementation counts for a lot as we have seen in other threads ;)

As an observation the 252 should perform slightly better than the 122 in the above chart.

Also the 502 test had a measurement set up issue as discussed in the thread so does perform better than indicated.

Last edited:
OP
archerious

archerious

Implementation counts for a lot as we have seen in other threads ;)

As an observation the 252 should perform slightly better than the 122 in the above chart.

Also the 502 test had a measurement set up issue as discussed in the thread do does perform better.

Any chance if I ordered a P122 or P252 or 2xP451 it would ship August 27th?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but I mean, once chosen a manufacturer, the implementation should be the same, so checking the datasheets for differences is more relevant than comparing different modules implemented by different manufacturers.

chasfs

What are you driving with the amp? How much power do you need? What will be providing the input signal? Is it balanced xlr or single ended rca?

OP
archerious

archerious

What are you driving with the amp? How much power do you need? What will be providing the input signal? Is it balanced xlr or single ended rca?

Balanced SDG1 DAC. I'm not sure if I'm going Maggie's or tekton.

OP
archerious

archerious

Not sure which side of the dateline you are on, but in Aus it is the 27th now. Not giving Mr March much time!

Currently I'm using a pair of Dbr62 but my current amp died. That's why I'm in a rush. I'm in Texas.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Yes, but I mean, once chosen a manufacturer, the implementation should be the same, so checking the datasheets for differences is more relevant than comparing different modules implemented by different manufacturers.
Yes of course, there is the module performance for which the Hypex datasheets are accurate. This performance can be degraded by the implementation.

Last edited:
OP
archerious

archerious

As mentioned thats today here! :)

Im afraid no, we have about 1 weeks lead time at the moment.

Also if you are going Maggies I think the P122 is too low power.

I might have to be that guy that orders a temp amp on Amazon then since my current one kicked the bucket four days ago and no music sucks. My job is so boring without my speakers lol.

chasfs

So I am driving Martin Logan Sequel electrostatics. I have an SAE 2200 which puts out 100w into 4 or 8 ohms. I upgraded to a VTV Hypex NC502MP which has a lot more power. The new amp sounds better. I notice new things on songs I’ve heard hundreds of times. It plays louder without clipping.

Warren is in Ohio and shipped it out 3 days after I ordered it. He has been very responsive via email and I don’t have any problems with the way he assembled the amplifier. I am using a longer power cord than the one he shipped.

OP
archerious

archerious

So I am driving Martin Logan Sequel electrostatics. I have an SAE 2200 which puts out 100w into 4 or 8 ohms. I upgraded to a VTV Hypex NC502MP which has a lot more power. The new amp sounds better. I notice new things on songs I’ve heard hundreds of times. It plays louder without clipping.

Warren is in Ohio and shipped it out 3 days after I ordered it. He has been very responsive via email and I don’t have any problems with the way he assembled the amplifier. I am using a longer power cord than the one he shipped.

Can you send me his email address? 3 day turnaround?! That is my guy!

ririt

Can you send me his email address? 3 day turnaround?! That is my guy!
looking at different threads about Hypex amps it seems that VTV has by far the worst module implementation, Audiophonics and Nord are « Ok » while the best implentation is made either by Apollon or March Audio.

OP
archerious

archerious

looking at different threads about Hypex amps it seems that VTV has by far the worst module implementation, Audiophonics and Nord are « Ok » while the best implentation is made either by Apollon or March Audio.

After researching more, must agree you're right.

ririt

After researching more, must agree you're right.
glad to give you an useful info! another important point is the way you will connect your hypex amp to a Dac/pre or pre amp. If using balanced XLR connection you are OK with most of the cables providers. However if you need a RCA output to a XLR input connection I strongly recommend to buy your cables either from Benchmark or March Audio to avoid issues with noise. again there is several threads on it on ASR.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
glad to give you an useful info! another important point is the way you will connect your hypex amp to a Dac/pre or pre amp. If using balanced XLR connection you are OK with most of the cables providers. However if you need a RCA output to a XLR input connection I strongly recommend to buy your cables either from Benchmark or March Audio to avoid issues with noise. again there is several threads on it on ASR.
Or an RCA to XLR cable from whatever pro brand, which will be much cheaper.

Top Bottom