• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio HPA1

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
But the drop isn't open at this moment ...
It will probably be more like $4 to 500 US. That's not definitive, depends on final BOM. The difference being mine will be available immediately off the shelf and not only when Massdrop have enough orders to make a production run viable.

No point being cheap if you can't actually buy one ;). I'm not aiming to compete aggressively on pricing, that's a race to the bottom.

Last edited:

bakker_be

It will probably be more like $4 to 500 US. That's not definitive, depends on final BOM. The difference being mine will be available immediately off the shelf and not only when Massdrop have enough orders to make a production run viable.

No point being cheap if you can't actually buy one ;). I'm not aiming to compete aggressively on pricing, that's a race to the bottom.
Absolutely true! As I don't have the budget at this moment anyway, it does give me something to work towards ;)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Screenshot_20181101-205126.jpg

Jiv_au

Hi March/BE718.

I'm interested in this. It would be awesome if it matched or bettered the Massdrop THX AAA 789 at THD+N of 117dB.

According to my calculation, with 5Vrms output, the HD650 (300ohm, 83mW) should get up to 116dB, and a HiFiMan 400i (40ohms, 625mW) to 119dB, which is probably hearing-damage level loudness.

Would you be able to tell us what the gain is, given that there won't be a volume knob on it?
Most desktop DAC output 2V, but my desktop computer only does 1.2V, so a gain of 4~5 would be ideal.

And will it come with an Aussie PSU?

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I really like the casework, it looks to be very nicely finished. So it's CNC'd from a single piece and has a base plate?

Good choice on the subtle RED LED. Show us the back? :)

Grave

Uh, controlling the volume digitally should cause the DAC to lose performance, no?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Uh, controlling the volume digitally should cause the DAC to lose performance, no?

With 32 or 64 bit volume control it's really a non issue.

Remember analogue controls are not perfect either. Pots have serious issues with balance tracking and will degrade over time becoming noisy. Switched resistor is better but still not perfect. PGA will degrade performance also.

An additional thought, how do you think music is mixed (predominantly) these days? Analogue volume pot or digital volume control in a DAW?

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I really like the casework, it looks to be very nicely finished. So it's CNC'd from a single piece and has a base plate?

Good choice on the subtle RED LED. Show us the back? :)

Yes as you describe. However the first batch had a problem with the laser printing so I have been delayed releasing the product.

I personally hate super bright LEDs. I need just enough to confirm its actually on. Also I have not bothered with displays. Why do I need to now what sample rate etc etc? Personally I just listen to music. The rest is unnecessary complication, and in any case being controlled on computer or ipad/tablet or phone, the software will tell you whats going on if you really need to know. :)

Its minimalist in features and looks, deliberately so, but that really is more sexy. ;)

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi March/BE718.

I'm interested in this. It would be awesome if it matched or bettered the Massdrop THX AAA 789 at THD+N of 117dB.

According to my calculation, with 5Vrms output, the HD650 (300ohm, 83mW) should get up to 116dB, and a HiFiMan 400i (40ohms, 625mW) to 119dB, which is probably hearing-damage level loudness.

Would you be able to tell us what the gain is, given that there won't be a volume knob on it?
Most desktop DAC output 2V, but my desktop computer only does 1.2V, so a gain of 4~5 would be ideal.

And will it come with an Aussie PSU?

Well here are the measurements Amir performed on the prototype. 2v RMS input, 2.9 vrms output +3dB gain into 300ohms. Sennheiser HD650 would be at about 102dB SPL at this specific level, but its capable of more.

It wont compete on ultimate power output, but more than adequate for all but the most in-sensitive of cans.

1537237019131 (2).png

about 200mW output
1537237442046 (1).png

I have been having an interesting discussion regarding gain with the beta testers of the prototype. The prototype has been set to +3dB and so far everyone has said it goes loud enough with the various cans they have tried it with. I am tempted to finalise on +6 dB to account for the more wayward insensitive cans or lower output DACs, but not sure if this is necessary. Having said that noise and distortion levels are so low that I dont think an extra 3dB is going to cause any real world issue.

An Aussie PSU would be upside down and no good for the rest of the world, so a universal type will be supplied.

Last edited:

derp1n

What chipset is the DAC using?

derp1n

When you have no fucking idea what you're talking about, you should start by posing questions in a much more polite manner.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
quite interested too both dac and amp @MARCH AUDIO are going to ship some units out there for reviews ?
Amir has one of the (screwed up case) DACs coming his way next week. He has already measured the prototype. 109 + dB SINAD for a 2v output DAC is pretty up there amongst the best.

A few of them are out in the wild with various members and I will ask to for feedback to publish in this thread.

1537303458138 (1).png

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
What chipset is the DAC using?
es9028. It will have the IM hump, which gives me the hump, but overall probably the best overall performance / value for money proposition out there at the moment.

Prototype testers have not complained in any way about the sound, in fact been very complimentary.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

With no volume control ouside the computer I think the bigger issue is trusting the host OS not screw something up and start blasting at 0dBFS.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
With no volume control ouside the computer I think the bigger issue is trusting the host OS not screw something up and start blasting at 0dBFS.

Again I have not found this an issue. Been using computer audio this way for literally years. I use Roon and J River. They just dont do this.

Mind you I have certainly left analogue volume controls up full blast before! (confess - probably when a little worse for wear :) )

Last edited:

derp1n

es9028. It will have the IM hump, which gives me the hump, but overall probably the best performance value for money proposition out there at the moment.

Prototype testers have not complained in any way about the sound, in fact been very complimentary.
So now we have an implementor of an ESS DAC who's aware of the IM hump on the board... can you tell us why it happens? Is it limited to the Q2M or does it show up on the Pro too?

derp1n

Thanks for answering btw :)

Top Bottom