• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico M9

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
When you've spent 700,000 on speakers, you're probably not particularly happy about such feedback. :)
I also thought it didn't look broken. But to be impressed, I'd like to see a farfield measurement from a big studio for comparison (main monitors + the remaining megabucks for proper flush mounting). Unfortunately, I can't find anything like that anywhere.

That kind of data is going to be hard to find… one would have to ask the pro acousticians who’ve helped set up construct such rooms — and I don’t think they will just share that willy-nilly. The few mid-field measurements in studios I’ve seen still had imperfections even after an enormous amount of treatment. But judging the shape of the speaker and it’s configuration, it seems to have already been optimized…

Measurements aside, the thing to keep in mind is that the room acts as a filter and no matter what the transfer function will always change as one moves about the room. There will be optimal listening positions and not so optimal listening positions… this is true even in the most well treated spaces.

In a very well treated studio with good dimensions one has to expect there would still be variances as one veers too far away from the MLP since the timing and distances from the sound sources will change, thus their summed phase relationship — though we should expect to see far less extreme destructive interferences and a more even decay profile.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They will almost certainly produce a tidier in-room FR, depends also how far away you intend/have to sit from the loudspeakers.
Keith

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are Genelec Ones with W371 better than this Magico? :)
No, the Genelecs only weigh 68kg, the Magico 454kg. The Magico would be superior in any Top Trumps card game.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Who volunteers to send one to Amir for measuring ?
I don't want to know the shipping costs of half a ton lol

Crosstalk

Nice. Well, someone has the spin data.
If it’s not published, something is not right for sure;) anyway, even if they fake it and show on a graph, nobody is going to buy one to prove they are fake. Advantage of astronomical prices.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Who volunteers to send one to Amir for measuring ?
I don't want to know the shipping costs of half a ton lol

Similar mass to Magico's earlier limited edition offering:

r-yxJmQvsIwTtUCpsTOpXLWTNEZSaaB-9lB1Ptz0eAw.jpg

At least we know they measure them. If I were a technocrat billionaire it'd be a tough decision. Both, I guess.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Similar mass to Magico's earlier limited edition offering:

r-yxJmQvsIwTtUCpsTOpXLWTNEZSaaB-9lB1Ptz0eAw.jpg

At least we know they measure them. If I were a technocrat billionaire it'd be a tough decision. Both, I guess.
Even if I was a billionaire I could never spend that amount on speakers

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Even if I was a billionaire I could never spend that amount on speakers
Well, my people would do the buying, I'd just do the listening.

edit: if you think the speakers are expensive, factor in the cost of commissioning a giganto stereo version of the Harman shuffler

Last edited:

noiseangel

noiseangel

"Does not ship to Australia". We may be out of luck. Negotiate delivery?
I have a good friend in Colorado who can arrange that for you if you seriously want them.

noiseangel

Does Magico even have a chamber to measure in? Is that their chamber or did they hire it? If I was to spend 700k on some speakers I would want to see them being built and tested, every step of the way, exactly the way some exotic car manufacturers do it. There is no way the "Trust me when I I tell you they are perfect in every way" would fly with me at that price. In no way does price dictate honesty. Look at Ted Denneys cables. :D

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I have a good friend in Colorado who can arrange that for you if you seriously want them.
Dunlavy moved the company to Colorado, didn't he?

edit: actually no, he moved but looks like Duntech is still here

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Look the speakers are (too) expensive but the folks at Magico know what they are doing. The in-room measurements that were removed were really good, with only room related issues (room modes, SBIR). This is how the Magico M2 measures:
120MagM2fig4.jpg
120MagM2fig3.jpg

source: Stereophile

And this is the A5:
202106_magico_A5CEA2034_Magico_A5_Listening_white.jpg

We know they've optimized the M9 on the Klippel. They've chosen not to share the spinorama because frankly it doesn't make sense for a speaker this expensive, it's impossible it would measure (significantly) better than a cheaper TOTL Kef or Genelec. The spin doesn't tell how much work went into the cabinet or R&D in general. But unlike Wilson or other megabuck brands they are a very serious manufacturer IMO.

noiseangel

If we are showing graphs of other speakers to compare to the M9 then look at this.
This is the Dunlavy SC-VI.

Source is Stereophile as well.

22 years old.

Dalfig2.jpg

Is that the best Magico can do?

Magico are magic at charging a lot.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If we are showing graphs of other speakers to compare to the M9 then look at this.
This is the Dunlavy SC-VI.

Source is Stereophile as well.

22 years old.

Dalfig2.jpg

Is that the best Magico can do?

Magico are magic at charging a lot.

20 years from now, 30, 40, 50, a flat line is the best anyone can do. But if you judge a speaker just by its FR, you certainly do not know what you are doin. You certainly do not know why Magico start dropping their HF from 10khz, how about asking around before downplaying them?

lemnoc

20 years from now, 30, 40, 50, a flat line is the best anyone can do. But if you judge a speaker just by its FR, you certainly do not know what you are doin. You certainly do not know why Magico start dropping their HF from 10khz, how about asking around before downplaying them?

You don't get much for 108k AUD. Non-minimum phase crossover and two 7 inch drivers that won't produce reference standard bass at decent SPL's . Does everyone realize that like most metals aluminium rings like a bell so what on earth is that enclosure doing ??

Last edited:
Top Bottom