• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico M9

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where do you read that someone wants Magicos to be bad? Or where anyone says they are worse or as good as Genelecs? I don't read anything like that anywhere here. Maybe I blanked it out, but I really don't know what posts are meant here.
If you interpret attacks and assertions into posts that aren't really there, you don't have to be surprised if you see "this place" as negative.
I think more negativity has been read here than has been written. Of course, when questions are perceived as heresy, this happens easily.

Edit: Perhaps it is a problem of intercultural understanding or translation of non-native speakers. Maybe sarcasm was understood where there was none....?
If you cant see that happening in this place, good for you then. Everything is bright and green to you.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you cant see that happening in this place, good for you then. Everything is bright and green to you.
Sigh...
- Not answering my question.
- Reading something into my post that wasn´t there.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I just don’t see that here, I often read that ’objectivists’ are jealous because we can’t afford expensive equipment or that out systems are not expensive enough to resolve the differences they hear.
I believe the majority at ASR regards products dis-passionately and to paraphrase Marcus ask ‘what is it, what is its nature’.
You know that a lot of audio equipment falls into the luxury goods category, good measurements, nicely packaged but not audibly better.
It really is important to learn to distinguish between actual measured performance and marketing blurb.
Keith

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fredstuhl

It was repeatedly stated in this thread that specifically these Magicos are not bad products by objective criteria, if price-performance ratio is not taken into account. They are luxury items, with their price tag completely detached from their performance as a loudspeaker - which is fine. There is a place for that. And within the realms of hifi jewelry, this company still seems to care about good engineering, which is nice and unfortunately not a given.

However, you can‘t expect products to be celebrated here for their never-heard-of qualities as a speaker without delivering hard evidence for it. What was shown before gave evidence for a set of well designed traditional loudspeakers and they were appreciated as such. There are just other solutions around with engineering principles that will make it easier to deliver exceptional performance in real world listening situations. Doesn‘t diminish the jewelry aspect of the Magicos. If you are looking for that, I am sure they are a good choice!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

MarkWinston

You have to separate the speakers anechoic measurements from its in room measurements, Magico speakers do measure well, but those original plots show exactly what happens when you place a traditional full-range design into a largely untreated room.
A few contemporary loudspeakers are now being designed to ameliorate the effects of the room as much as possible, the M9 isn’t one of them.
Keith

Im not mixing anechoic and in room measurements, but if I had to choose one, it would be in room.
Sigh...
- Not answering my question.
- Reading something into my post that wasn´t there.

Clearly you are denying that some people try to downplay high end products without ever seen any data (objective) or heard it personally (subjective). It is going on around the forum, and quite frequently at that. Now the OP has already stated that the null was only present when measured 1 meter away, not the listening position. OP has also stated that when measured at the listening position, everything measures perfectly well. He is not going to post up more measurements for his own reasons but I do not see a reason for him lying since he do not own the room or speakers, he is just there to measure them. So what is this talk about the null then? Isnt that trying to downplay a freaking great product regardless of what it costs? I have been in this forum for sometime and Ive been reading thru nearly every thing and I see this from thread to thread. "Oh the R3 with EQ can do that too and better". "Oh this DAC isnt any better than a 9 dollar dongle". "Oh these speakers/amp are too expensive for what they do". If this is a forum purely based on science, price, no matter how high it is, will not have value in the discussion. Im.bot saying everyone is like that, Im saying some and that is more than enough to give bad impression to others non members that browse this forum. And since the 9 dollar dac is as good as the best dacs out there aurally, get that and call it end game (not directed at you).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bass cancellations and reinforcements are perfectly normal, that is just physics, from the listening position there were 10-15dB peaks and troughs again that is not uncommon, and very little to do with the loudspeakers.
You must’t think that because you spend a fortune on gear that you are immune to physics.
Keith

MarkWinston

Bass cancellations and reinforcements are perfectly normal, that is just physics, from the listening position there were 10-15dB peaks and troughs again that is not uncommon, and very little to do with the loudspeakers.
You must’t think that because you spend a fortune on gear that you are immune to physics.
Keith
But OP had clearly said that the null isnt there the when measured atbthe listening position. Am I missing something here or is the OP lying?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The broad cancellation in the upper bass when measured at 1metre replaced my multiple cancellations/reinforcements when measured at the main listening position, all perfectly normal.
But never of course advertised by manufacturers!
Keith

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly you are denying that some people try to downplay high end products without ever seen any data (objective) or heard it personally (subjective).
What makes you think I'm denying that in this abstract formulation? And then also "clearly".
Of course I've seen this before, but I didn't notice it here in this thread. At least not in a form that had to provoke such a defensive reaction.

But OP had clearly said that the null isnt there the when measured atbthe listening position. Am I missing something here or is the OP lying?
There was also a measurement here briefly at the MLP. I don't know if you saw that? Unfortunately, we can no longer discuss this, but have to rely on memory.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
". If this is a forum purely based on science, price, no matter how high it is, will not have value in the discussion
Not true since the price vs performance ratio is very important to all of us who do not have effectively unlimited money.

These speakers, at that price point, fall outside that realm since anyone who could afford them effectively does have unlimited money.

As regards in room vs anechoic measurements, anechoic is clearly more valuable since my room is unlikely to be similar to whatever room the speaker was measured in. Which is why speaker reviews present anechoic, pseudo anechoic or simulated anechoic measurements, and not measurements done in the reviewer's room. Once is a baseline, the other is a random case.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I wonder if the Wilson Audio Wham, Bam, thankyou Mam speakers "sound" as "great" as these Magico's?
Similar price, size, and for the vast majority of artificially recreated music, lovers, as impractical.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I seem to recall that Magico purchased a Klippel system but a quick scan of their site and not a measurement, acoustic anyway to be seen.
Keith

fredstuhl

I seem to recall that Magico purchased a Klippel system but a quick scan of their site and not a measurement, acoustic anyway to be seen.
Keith
Yeah, i remember that picture of a massive Magico speaker dangling in the air in front a klippel arm. Looked cool. Hoped that some measurements would leak out, but haven‘t seen anything yet.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if the Wilson Audio Wham, Bam, thankyou Mam speakers "sound" as "great" as these Magico's?
Similar price, size, and for the vast majority of artificially recreated music, lovers, as impractical.

I don´t know, but here is a comparison between a Wilson Alexx (~130k) and a Magico A5 (~25k) in the same listening room:
1644339710614.png

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexx-v-loudspeaker-measurements

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith
They did share this though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I heard some large Magicos (not M9 large) at our new on-again, off-again Audio Show and Covid Incubator two years ago, now.

There wasn't much that made me go "wow" there, maybe three of the rooms visited.

The Magico Room was definitely one that did.

Ok, they were the M6:

85101308_2660147850698987_1010943419243036672_o-2.jpg

You don’t really buy a 400000$ speaker just to cross it to a subwoofer.

Maybe not, but they'll be happy to sell you some.

Subs are in the corners behind the speakers...

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Top Bottom