• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magico M9

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would advise buying an actual bell rather than hitting your M9s with a hammer.
Keith

sharock

20 years from now, 30, 40, 50, a flat line is the best anyone can do. But if you judge a speaker just by its FR, you certainly do not know what you are doin. You certainly do not know why Magico start dropping their HF from 10khz, how about asking around before downplaying them?

Their target market has lost hearing above 10KHz?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who volunteers to send one to Amir for measuring ?
I don't want to know the shipping costs of half a ton lol
A shame that Magico themselves have measured them with the NFS but refuse to share... And I am sure it measures better than some competitors of theirs (million dollar Wilson and such).

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't get much for 108k AUD. Non-minimum phase crossover and two 7 inch drivers that won't produce reference standard bass at decent SPL's . Does everyone realize that like most metals aluminium rings like a bell so what on earth is that enclosure doing ??

You should read their marketing first before criticizing. Apparently they know what they are doing.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The larger the cabinet the harder it is to get it resonance free. And it has to withstand resonances at very high SPL levels. Most probably half the money went into the cabinets.

MarkWinston

Their target market has lost hearing above 10KHz?
Ask Magico. They have their own reasons for doing that to most of their speakers that Ive seen measured. I would like to see the a few more measurements, especially PIR before coming to conclusions.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
Well, big, heavy and non edgy cabinet are expensive to make.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I think what would have been an interesting discussion: What results can be achieved when investing x million dollars in loudspeakers, electronics and the room? On the one side a M9 in the room like we saw here and on the other side a professional studio with a really thought out and expensive room design, but probably less expensive gear.
Or, in other words: What are the limits (of physics) for a big setup if you have close to unlimited resources?

kongwee

Major Contributor
Even in studio, console and recording room are acoustically different.

elberoth

Congrats on the beautiful room and speakers!

My M3s look almost like a reasonable buy next to them ;)

PS. Magicos are one of the best engineered speakers on the market. Just check the measurements of the S5, M2, A5 that have been published. And not just on-axis, but spinorama, THD etc. There are one of the very few manufacturers I know that invested in Klippel system (the only other I know beeing Fink Team from Germany - the reason why the speakers they have consulted on sound so good) - and it shows.

fredstuhl

I think what would have been an interesting discussion: What results can be achieved when investing x million dollars in loudspeakers, electronics and the room? On the one side a M9 in the room like we saw here and on the other side a professional studio with a really thought out and expensive room design, but probably less expensive gear.
Or, in other words: What are the limits (of physics) for a big setup if you have close to unlimited resources?
Make this a separate thread, I‘d love to learn more about this, maybe some members have interesting experiences/ data to share!

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

PS. Magicos are one of the best engineered speakers on the market. Just check the measurements of the S5, M2, A5 that have been published. And not just on-axis, but spinorama, THD etc. There are one of the very few manufacturers I know that invested in Klippel system (the only other I know beeing Fink Team from Germany - the reason why the speakers they have consulted on sound so good) - and it shows.
Do you care to share some in room measurements? ;-)
Make this a separate thread, I‘d love to learn more about this, maybe some members have interesting experiences/ data to share!
Go ahead! I don't have the energy for this right now.

MarkWinston

I think Polk has the klippel too if I remember correctly.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you nail frequency response both on and off axis, you can focus on other stuff. Resonance-free and dead cabinet at all spl seems reasonable, but that is both difficult and expensive. To achieve a dead cabinet with sufficient damping of the back-wave from the lower mids and up will take space and mass.

Frequency response itself isn't sufficient to find out the overall quality, you need distortion and decay measurements also.

Comparing a 450kg full-range speaker with something like the tiny Genelecs with limited output and frequency extension makes no sense because it's missing the concept of context.
If you want an equally dead and inert cabinet with full-range capacity over the whole audible spectrum like the small and sturdy Genelecs, you need huge and heavy speakers like these.

I have no problem with these M9's other than the fact that they cost half my life's expected income. I'm happy there's people crazy enough to make something like this, and I'm happy there's people enthusiastic enough to buy it.

Value for money has no relevance here.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Keith

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

noiseangel

You should read their marketing first before criticizing. Apparently they know what they are doing.

I understand marketing. We are witnessing the greatest marketing campaign in the history of the world right now. We wont go there.

I read their marketing and looked at the pretty graphs showing spectral decay for three other types of materials compared to theirs. They mean nothing. There is no specifications or standards applied to those graphs.

They show 4 materials. With theirs appearing to be the best.

Things missing of that graph are material density, material thickness, width, length.

When they were comparing materials was the MDF 12mm,16mm,19mm? Or was it only 4mm or given the benefit of doubt 32mm or constrained layers 4 x 32mm? What did they compare it to?

BobR

A5 all aluminum enclosure measured by Stereophile, is that dead enough for you?
1644457394566.png

kongwee

Major Contributor
19mm is the minimum for MDF cabinet. Of course many speaker are lot thinner. It is at least 60kg for a flood stander about 1 meter tall for 19mm. I based on Avalon Acoustic that I listened the most.

Top Bottom