• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Made an account, kept lurking >_<

Tks

Major Contributor
Hello everyone! Thank you for the amazing place and the wealth of knowledge I've been exposed to on this forum.

Started my journey after getting fed up with Bose/Apple sillynes, had a random person on Reddit actually recommend this place a while back if I was interested in technical aspects of the hobby (working in dental tech, I always liked seeing things being validated, or put to the measurements on a scientific basis). Electronics is a new field to me (the actual science and philosophies of how things work on the atomic level and such), but in terms of using electronics like computers and such, that part is pretty easy (building computers, running benchmarks between SKU's of hardware and such).

Audio seems like a whole new interesting thing I enjoy reading about almost on a daily basis. But with so much "the experience"-type articles out there, it's tough to understand what to look out for when looking for high fidelity equipment.

The same person who recommended this place also pointed me to a Schiit Stack as my first product (I chose the headphone, the LCD2C's which sound awesome especially after EQ). I know Schiit gets lots of flack here, but this was at a time where the other person wanted me to be eased in I suppose, and he said for the price they measured especially well. And thankfully it seems like he was right (at least the Modi 3, and somewhat the Magni 3).

Here I am now, barely able to decipher some things people say on the forum and what data they present, but i find it always interesting to read.

That and.. the aching upgraditis for a THX 789 and an RME ADI-2 DAC (the DAC of which is perhaps one of the most handsome packages and featuresets I've ever seen on any device of it's caliber and overall package). Seems like THX and Massdrop with respect to the AMP be like: Zzzzz

Oh and of course the SINAD of the ADI-2 :p;)

Thanks Amirm for the great place! And everyone behind the scenes.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Welcome.

If you get the RME, it's hard for me to see where you'd need the THX, too.

1554502424827.png

Oh, and visit the Shoutometer if you haven't for some perspective on decibel differences...

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Welcome.

If you get the RME, it's hard for me to see where you'd need the THX, too.

Thank you! You're one of those intelligent folks I see posts from that I try to learn a thing or two sometimes.

As for the RME/789 thing..

It's a tentative either/or sort of ordeal. Don't think I'd end up getting both truth be told, goes back to my whole non familiarity with how it will perform for various needs. And also an aesthetic thing for having a stack that can be separated and used in another room if need be for a another source down the line.

The issue is, seeing if the 789 will ever come back in stock (seemingly will as of a post yesterday finally from one of the Massdrop folks, though they're also asking something along the lines of what we would like to see from another "version", which spells a long wait from my personal interpretation). The RME also seems have a few people saying I've seen might come with a newer version sometime down the line as well (this I doubt, but who knows, it doesn't matter really, but if featureset can be expanded upon like better UI/EQ expansion into more bands, that seems like worthwhile upgrade seeing as how it's UX is somewhat jarring).

Another thing is, I like using IEM's as well, and am hoping to go custom in the future (but this product industry looks like everyone is seemingly getting into with all sorts of promises, and very little measurements outside of crinacle doing some, and a few other sites). Though biggest problem being getting to test any of these things.. and with many being overseas products, I'm having a tough time deciding if I should just stick with Universals. At any rate, the RME seems to have an amazing IEM compatibility (with respect to noise from it's 3.5mm port). Other things like having a remote for controls is also nice and such.

Basically what I am trying to say is, I know too little, and am only glamoured by feature-sets of each product, and both appeal to me from a utility and aesthetic standpoint. But technically you're 100% right, no real need to go both. It's more a case of long term aspirations I have about getting into possibly starting to stream my library wirelessly around the whole home, and a buncha other things just all mixing about in my head with no coherence.

Top Bottom