• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Macro photos of phono styli

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This was from an old Philips TT I bought from eBay. Can't complain about the TT, that works and it was at a great price. But that stylus is a bit scary looking ;) This was fom a JVC 4MD-20X cartridge:

2023_0721_210420_005.png

A barely used Ortofon M2 Red:

2023_0721_212004_010.png

OP
ray_parkhurst

ray_parkhurst

The first stylus may be a Shibata, hard to tell for sure. It does not appear to have much wear.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The first stylus may be a Shibata, hard to tell for sure. It does not appear to have much wear.

The tip does appear to be in good shape. What I assume is corrosion all around the metal part seems to point to just how old this thing is. Here's the other side of that stylus:

2023_0721_210310_004.JPG

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
The tip does appear to be in good shape. What I assume is corrosion all around the metal part seems to point to just how old this thing is. Here's the other side of that stylus:

View attachment 300690
The JVC was oem’d by Audio Technica. It is a Shibata tip, nude mount tapered cantilever. AT’s versions were AT12S & AT12SA (had flip visor stylus guard). With the AT’s a majority were bonded not “nudies” like yours which are more desirable.

Judicious use of a thin strip of Mr Clean Magic Eraser, careful application of a little isopropyl or AT stylus cleaner (keep it from dribbling down the cantilever to the rubber suspension bits) scrubbed with a good stylus brush, some dips up and down in a blob of Blutak or Rodico and you can have that jewel sparkling.

Many years ago I picked up a NOS replacement 12S stylus repackaged by an aftermarket distributor that the yellow foam had degraded and bonded all over the cantilever took awhile but eventually got it cleaned up and singing. The joys of analog eh?

@ray_parkhurst great pics!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

JP

Major Contributor
When I get my rig up and running, my XL-88D is the first one I've slated for a glamor shot.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When I get my rig up and running, my XL-88D is the first one I've slated for a glamor shot.

How is the elastomer suspension on your XL-88D? All my integrated headshell Sonys from that era have become too soft to use.

JP

Major Contributor
How is the elastomer suspension on your XL-88D? All my integrated headshell Sonys from that era have become too soft to use.

Shhh! Don't let them hear you.

IMG_2353.jpeg

88D seemed fine when I last ran it a couple years ago. It's still mounted so I could easily give it another whirl, time permitting. It was an NOS copy I picked up about five years ago.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An old Ortofon VMS30.

S20160812_006.jpg

Musty

Forum Donor
This takes me back nearly 40 years. Taking stylus to dealer, him putting it under a microscope, telling me it was fine and still managing to sell me a cartridge and a new stylus to go with it, as an upgrade. Was better though, a lot less noisy.
I bought a Phillips CD650 a short while afterwards, sounded a lot better still.

Musty

Forum Donor
Well, you need to know what you are looking for in order to see the wear. Most folks don't realize how small the contact patches actually are, and miss them even when looking directly at them! Lighting is also super critical, as diamond is a difficult subject to view and photograph.

That 2M Blue has ~500 hours of play time, and is pretty well-worn. A new 2M Blue has a "minor" radius of 0.3mil/8um, implying it will form a flat contact patch length of ~0.4mil/11um after ~100 hours or so of play. The 2M image above shows a contact patch length of 0.5mil/13um.

You are correct that "wear" can be mimicked by poor lighting. I've been fooled by this, and had to develop lighting systems and analysis techniques that would discriminate true versus phantom wear. I show a diagram above that is one aspect of this, and the composite view shown in first post is another aspect. True wear is most difficult to distinguish early in the stylus life, but later (like the 2M Blue) it is much easier.

Record wear is still a mystery to me. I brought it up since it often comes up in forum discussions, with folks worrying that their worn stylus is causing record damage. I've seen SEM photos of grooves with damage from playing, but I've never seen a scientific study to show wear vs hours of play or condition of stylus, let alone effect of stylus type. I can't agree with your statement about hyperellipticals causing more damage, as I don't know of any data to show the effect of one stylus type vs another.
Dust n the tracks was always said to be the biggest cause of damage to vinyl as I recall.

OP
ray_parkhurst

ray_parkhurst

Dust n the tracks was always said to be the biggest cause of damage to vinyl as I recall.
Yes, I suspect this may be true, if everything else (VTF, AS, etc) is set up correctly. High VTF combined with dirty records has got to be a stylus killer.

Jimshoe

Die hard digiphile here, but I love and appreciate seeing these pics - thank you. I'm always amazed/intrigued by how some of these tiny things are manufactured.

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Shhh! Don't let them hear you.

View attachment 301356

88D seemed fine when I last ran it a couple years ago. It's still mounted so I could easily give it another whirl, time permitting. It was an NOS copy I picked up about five years ago.
I call hoarding :D

JP

Major Contributor
Remind me to never show you a picture of the Technic's collection.

OP
ray_parkhurst

ray_parkhurst

For sure. If that's a hoard, not sure what you'd call my collection. Maybe I better consider selling some of it off to help finance my retirement!

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
For sure. If that's a hoard, not sure what you'd call my collection. Maybe I better consider selling some of it off to help finance my retirement!
Just a little teasing (jealousy) for @JP For me it's use or lose 'em. Haven't started sorting through mine. Have to take stock and measure bodies and count styli to figure out what was damaged in Hurricane Ian. I know I lost a quite a few of my prime Pickering and Stanton MI and MM styli and some bodies when the Ikea shelving loaded with lp's floated in the 40" of surge in our house' Tipped over with a TD-150, SL1200MK2 and my ultrasonic cleaner, misc other stuff. Some of my cigar box cartrige storage floated safely, others were high enough in plastic storage cases so not total loss.

Top Bottom