• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Loudspeaker isolation ...

Purité Audio

Major Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Patreon Donor
Could you imagine a scenario where isolating loudspeakers could be really beneficial to SQ.
Say a suspended floor which audibly resonates because of the structural borne vibration propagated from the loudspeakers.
How would the airborne vibration compare to the structural , any links to research would be useful.
A few years back a very nice chap from Speirs&Robertson came to measure my ( suspended) floor with a three plane accelerometer, even with the speakers playing bass heavy music, very loudly there wasn’t that much vibration .
Interested as always to hear your thoughts.
Keith

jtwrace

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Concrete slab floors and no seismic activity here..

You want a sandbox for isolation?

My whole house sits on one.

andymok

imagine it's violin/viola/cello/bass
strings are your loudspeaker
feet are sound post

why the same set of strings never sound the same?

just a quick analogy i could think of, please enlighten me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
My third floor music room really shakes around 31hz. It's the floor, not a typical acoustic room bump. Not louder, just shakes. It does wonders...
31 Hz is oddly specific. Maybe it could be fixed with a high Q notch filter.

Ron Texas

Addicted to Fun and Learning
31 Hz is oddly specific. Maybe it could be fixed with a high Q notch filter.
It can be fixed by moving the sub, or changing it from down firing to front firing. I kind of like it because it doesn't get louder, the floor just vibrates with it. In one scene an actress was pounding on a piece of glass. I thought the TV was going to crack. It's that cool.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
It can be fixed by moving the sub, or changing it from down firing to front firing. I kind of like it because it doesn't get louder, the floor just vibrates with it. In one scene an actress was pounding on a piece of glass. I thought the TV was going to crack. It's that cool.
There’s no right or wrong if you simply like it!:)

Top Bottom