• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to upgrade closed headphones

ADU

Major Contributor
I wish I had some better suggestions to offer on some closed-back headphones like you're looking for, btw. But I haven't really had an opportunity to try out many closed-backs in the mid-fi price range that you're interested in. And have only read or listened to some reviews, and others opinions on them.

There is a fairly active topic that focuses mostly on middle and higher-end closed-back headphones in another well-known headphone forum here though, that might possibly be worth a look for some more info on some of this. Some of the folks who participate in that topic seem to be as interested in the cosmetics of their HPs as their sound though. :) Which is somethin to keep in mind.

Open back headphones tend to be more the norm on the high-end and also in mid-fi. Because most people think they have better sound quality. Many of the higher end headphone manufacturers have been adding a couple closed-back HPs to their lineups though in recent years. So you will find some more options to choose from now in some of the higher price brackets than 5 or 10 years ago.

Most of the headphones I've owned and tried have also been closed. But they are mostly in the sub-$250 price range, which seems a bit lower than the kind of thing you're lookin for. If you intend to use the headphone for both music and movies though, then I think I personally might lean a little more toward a good dynamic headphone design than a planar. But there are probably some very good performers in both categories that are worth considering.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
But that is putting the cart before the horse.
Yes and no. I think what some folks on this thread are trying to help you with is that yes, all headphones come with their own sound signature. But instead of trying to buy headphones with the perfect sound signature for your preferences you should focus on:
- fit
- passive noise isolation
- figure out what headphones you can drive via iPhone / iPad (or invest in a headphone amp, either portable or desktop).

Those qualifications that you’ve listed are really important. Focus your research on those requirements. As long as whatever headphones you buy are at least decent quality — in terms of measurements — you will have no problem EQing them to a neutral sound, or whatever sound you prefer. Just remember that in the majority of cases implementing software EQ will decrease the gain, which ups the power requirement on whatever you’re using to drive the headphones.

OP
S

stanroz

Hi, everyone,

I just wanted to come back here to thank everyone for their input. I have learned a lot and have much to learn.

Someone mentioned that most audiophiles focus on open end headphones. I still have Philips X2HR which I haven't used in weeks. Not only does my home environment preclude the use of open end headphones, but even if I had total privacy, I must be the only person in the world who prefers closed end heasphones. The sense of isolation they provide gives a unique experience, whereas in the case of open headphones, I feel that I might as well crank up my 9.1 channel sound system! lol

I have made peace with AKG K371. The well documented problem of inconsitent fit that has plagued my early use seems to have been resolved by my putting them on and adjusting them deliberately in precisely the same way each time.

But just as I made peace with AKG, I had the chance to audition The Aeon 2 headphones, and loved their sound (and their build/style). So now I am still on the fence....

And, previously I mentioned that I was going to stick with Apple USB-C dongle, but as per my recent entry into the Apple USB-C dongle thread, I've become disenchanted with the whole dongle concept and will be looking for alternative portable solutions.

Feel free to comment of course, but I will be seeing you all in other threads of this great forum.

Best Regards,
Stan

Reactions: ADU

Earfonia

I have an ipad pro with Apple’s USB- C adapter (USA version). At this point I don’t want to deal with special amplifiers or DACs.

I currently have AKG K371 and I enjoy them, but suppose I wanted to take it up a notch or two? I am willing to go up to a $1000.

The problem is that in many reviews it’s not clear whether a discrete amp is required.

For me, neutral sound quality, comfort and passive noise isolation are what’s important.

Thank you in advance for everyone’s input…

For closed back I like my Shure SRH1540. No discrete amp required, easy to drive, good sound, and comfortable. And an extra pair of ear pads is included as default.

OP
S

stanroz

For closed back I like my Shure SRH1540. No discrete amp required, easy to drive, good sound, and comfortable. And an extra pair of ear pads is included as default.
I had a chance to audition them and the reference pair srh940. I definitely liked both a lot!

But between AKG K371 and Aeon 2 closed I am well satisfied….

Top Bottom