• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for some one in Baltimore MD to upgrade my pair of Altec Lansing 1966 AOTT A7 speakers.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A passive crossover isn't "rocket science" and capacitors and inductors (and resistors if needed) are available so it should be easy to duplicate if you can find the documentation. I don't remember if there was an L-pad (or other variable attenuator) for the horn but that would be the most difficult thing to source.

...I haven't heard an A-7 since the 1970s but I thought they sounded GREAT at the time! Good memories! I'd love to own a pair if I had the extra space and the extra money! :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all again. I have put in a request for Just Audio to let me know if they would take on my speakers= oh cross over 500Hz for the smaller horn 800 for the larger?
I'm pretty sure the A7 got a 511, unless someone pulled a switcheroo. Like I said though, measure the flange width to be sure.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Thank you all again. I have put in a request for Just Audio to let me know if they would take on my speakers= oh cross over 500Hz for the smaller horn 800 for the larger?
The other way 'round... but, as @fpitas said, upping the XO points on either of those horns is widely considered a best practice.

Here's a 511B

Here's an 811B (OK, technically two of 'em)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm pretty sure the A7 got a 511, unless someone pulled a switcheroo. Like I said though, measure the flange width to be sure.
There were, AFAIK, A7-5s and A7-8s -- although I don't know about 1966.

Oh -- speaking of which! :) -- @Owencat, on the off-chance you don't know about it, lots of useful goodies to be found at www.lansingheritage.org

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
heh, speaking of 1966:

page6.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The other way 'round... but, as @fpitas said, upping the XO points on either of those horns is widely considered a best practice.

Here's a 511B

Here's an 811B (OK, technically two of 'em)

Yup. Altec crossed the 511 at 800Hz in later products. The Model 19 crossed the 811 at 1.2kHz (BW3 electrical), as I recall.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A5-X, baby! :)

Gary Kaufman's A5s.jpg

These are Gary Kaufman's -- with Hiraga's XOs and a split 210 serving as "subwoofers", loaded with 515Bs :)=

As @fpitas knows, I love the 288/1505 driver/horn combination for sweet, smooth, well-dispersed treble. Can't afford 'em, though. :cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a schematic title Hiraga Circuit as modified by Peter Riggle. It notes a L-Pad my speakers have none of that. Is that the crossover that I would need?
Make sure it's for your drivers. Got a link?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rusty

There is a group of diyers in the DC/Baltimore area some of whom are Altec specifically knowledgeable as well as many members being good speaker and equipment builders. Consider posting an inquiry there.

OP
O

Owencat

Thank you all for your suggestions. As to what I plan for the A7's. When arrived the shipment consisted of the cabinets, speakers and Horns. No crossovers, no directions that I remember. Unlike you folks I am not a Hi Fi, Audio engineer, etc. I screwed around with the speakers till I got something that sounded OK but was always sure that what I did was not correct. I have read some articles that said that AL did a crossover design after I bought my speakers and later did a redesign. I am now a retired Structural Engineer and would like to have someone (pro or armature) to just add the corrected crossover, and any drivers required. The legacy models that AL is out of my price range at $4,000 per speaker.
I found a company called Sound Projects that seems ready to take on upgrading my A7 speakers. Thay are not too far from me. more later

OP
O

Owencat

Took the grill cloth off the front of one of the speakers and things are not as bad as I first thought. The horn is 18+ inches across, drivers and cross over in place. The question now does the N-800-D crossover have the same configuration as the Riggle modified circuit and did I wire the speakers correctly ?- I am trying to figure out how to send you a photograph. The 88 year old does not belong to a computer person.

Top Bottom