• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for "perfect" streamer.....

OP
S

Sounchasr

One nice option is the Lenovo ThinkCentre M90n IoT version (fanless): https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/deskto...s/ThinkCentre-M90n-IoT/p/thinkcentre-m90n-iot

There's a fan version available as well with a bit better processor and more ram, but it's pretty quiet at typical loads: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/deskto...-nano-series/ThinkCentre-M90n-1/p/11TC1MNM93N

Although both those options are a bit pricey.

The video above is good, you can use similar parts in a fanless case from streacom/hdplex if desired. There's a lot of decent thin-itx cases coming out as well if you an find an appropriate motherboard

That Lenovo looks pretty nice. How would you control everything from my PC? (I haven't watched the videos yet).

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You want a fanless PC to put with your stereo but want to control it with you existing PC? How does that get the noise out of the picture? At any rate you can use remote desktop in windows pro.

OP
S

Sounchasr

You want a fanless PC to put with your stereo but want to control it with you existing PC? How does that get the noise out of the picture? At any rate you can use remote desktop in windows pro.

I just don't want another keyboard, monitor, etc. Remote Desktop is fine. Wasn't sure if there was another solution I didn't know about.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'll check out the Logitech solution.

What is LMS? I didn't think there was any way to run Deezer on RopieeeXL.

Re: Amazon. How would I send the audio from my browser to the Pi? I don't think it is seen as an audio device.
LMS is shorthand for LogitechMediaServer. It has plugins for a range of sources, and for interoperability with other streaming options. This lets you use it as an intermediary between some streaming things that don't usually work together. In this case I think the suggestion is to use the LMS Deezer plugin, and RopieeeXL's squeezebox endpoint mode, although with plugins LMS can also stream to UPnP and AirPlay endpoints which RopieeeXL also has. You can control it via web browser or one of the many apps such as Squeezer and iPeng.

Amazon is probably awkward - bluetooth perhaps?

OP
S

Sounchasr

LMS is shorthand for LogitechMediaServer. It has plugins for a range of sources, and for interoperability with other streaming options. This lets you use it as an intermediary between some streaming things that don't usually work together. In this case I think the suggestion is to use the LMS Deezer plugin, and RopieeeXL's squeezebox endpoint mode, although with plugins LMS can also stream to UPnP and AirPlay endpoints which RopieeeXL also has. You can control it via web browser or one of the many apps such as Squeezer and iPeng.

Amazon is probably awkward - bluetooth perhaps?

Let me know if I have this right -
I install Logitech Meda Server on my PC and then the plugins (Deezer, for example). Then I can broadcast that to my Pi?

EDIT: Found and installed LMS on my PC and turned on Squeezelite on the Pi. Unfortunately, LMS doesn't see the Pi. Will need to figure that out.....

Although I can probably get this to work (and I'm determined to do so!), the NUC might still be a better solution.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
I'm wondering how this would compare to an Intel NUC and whether it could be run "headless". Do you have any experience with this one?

Not personally, although I have been planning on getting one for another unrelated purpose. I see no reason why it wouldn't run "headless" as any normal computer, it's just using a lower wattage laptop/mobile CPU in a small form factor. There are a bit faster laptop CPUs available in the consumer version with a fan. There is also an AMD version releasing soon that may have more performance for the price. The difference between these and NUCs is that the NUCs will generally have the top end latest gen intel laptop/mobile CPUs, which are closer in performance to the more budget desktop variants, at the cost of maybe more heat and noise (and perhaps price). If it's just to serve as a music server, the more expensive nucs are probably overkill. One exception may be if you're using it for other tasks, heavy transcoding, etc. I've heard roon is a huge cpu hog but have not used it yet.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there anything that can't stream to a Chromecast Audio? Discontinued, but readily available.
Have even apple music got onboard?

OP
S

Sounchasr

I think I might actually be really confused.....

As I said, presently I'm running everything from my main PC which is where I listen to music. It works perfectly fine - the fan doesn't bother me at all and I don't notice any interference issues. So, is there any benefit to me using a separate PC/Nuc/Laptop to do all of the things that my current PC is doing presently? Sorry, for the dumb question. Somewhere I got the impression that there was some benefit to a separate system.

OP
S

Sounchasr

The potential benefits are those things that you mention. Sounds like you already have a solution that works for you.

I feel like an idiot!

Now, if I'm using Roon, I should use the Pi as an endpoint for the best performance with that, correct? Then if my DAC is attached to the Pi I have to send all other services (Deezer, etc.) to the DAC somehow because it is no longer attached to my PC. I think that's where I get confused.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just purchased an Audioengine B-Fi (about $190), it has a simple friendly interface or you can ignore the interface and use the apps on your phone, pad, laptop to direct the show. Uses your wireless network so it should provide superior results compared to bluetooth. So far the B-Fi is working great, <1/2 the cost of a Port or Node.

How is this a streamer vs. simply a wi-fi adapter? I use a BluDento HD to connect my stereo via Bluetooth to my phone which acts as the “streamer”. No attempt to be disparaging - just looking for clarification of terms.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now, if I'm using Roon
Are you already running Roon? They offer a free trial; just install it to your PC and give it a try. As you've discovered, Roon does not yet support Deezer so you'd need to continue whatever you're doing now to play it. And of course, you'd need to buy a subscription to continue using Roon after the trial.

If you decided to untether your PC from your DAC and instead play remotely through a Raspberry Pi, you'd have available whatever music sources are supported by your music server. Ropieee is an end-point for Roon, so still no Deezer. piCorePlayer is an end-point for Logitech Media Server which does support Deezer. Something LMS can do that Roon can't is run as a server from an RPi. You could start by installing LMS on your PC just to get used to the way it works in your current setup. Later, add the RPi if you want and run it as both a player (feeding your DAC) and a server supporting your entire network. This takes your PC out of the picture as a dependency which some people like for the reasons you've mentioned and also because they don't like leaving their PC powered on to listen to music. You'd move any local music files to an external drive connected to the RPi or plugged into your router if it supports file sharing. piCorePlayer and LMS are both free.

yorHhfw.jpg

Note: If you are curious about LMS, you might try the beta version 8.0 which supports integrating music services favorites with your local music library. For instance, on one page you'd see all Allman Brothers albums available for you to play whether your own rips or albums you'd added as favorites on Deezer.

OP
S

Sounchasr

A Raspberry Pi 4 running piCore Player supports all the streaming services you mention. You can add Roon, and the other other services independently to it.

Holy crap, really!! Don't suppose there's a "how to" anywhere?

OP
S

Sounchasr

Are you already running Roon? They offer a free trial; just install it to your PC and give it a try. As you've discovered, Roon does not yet support Deezer so you'd need to continue whatever you're doing now to play it. And of course, you'd need to buy a subscription to continue using Roon after the trial.

If you decided to untether your PC from your DAC and instead play remotely through a Raspberry Pi, you'd have available whatever music sources are supported by your music server. Ropieee is an end-point for Roon, so still no Deezer. piCorePlayer is an end-point for Logitech Media Server which does support Deezer. Something LMS can do that Roon can't is run as a server from an RPi. You could start by installing LMS on your PC just to get used to the way it works in your current setup. Later, add the RPi if you want and run it as both a player (feeding your DAC) and a server supporting your entire network. This takes your PC out of the picture as a dependency which some people like for the reasons you've mentioned and also because they don't like leaving their PC powered on to listen to music. You'd move any local music files to an external drive connected to the RPi or plugged into your router if it supports file sharing. piCorePlayer and LMS are both free.

yorHhfw.jpg

Note: If you are curious about LMS, you might try the beta version 8.0 which supports integrating music services favorites with your local music library. For instance, on one page you'd see all Allman Brothers albums available for you to play whether your own rips or albums you'd added as favorites on Deezer.

This is awesome info. When I have a free minute I need to really go through it. I'm sure I'll have some questions. :)

Top Bottom