• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for "perfect" streamer.....

Sounchasr

When I have my DAC connected to my PC, I can use all the streaming services (Tidal, Amazon, Deezer, Spotify, etc.). However, when I decide to move the streaming away from my PC (to avoid the noisy environment) I'm running into problems being able to access all services.

If I use a Raspberry Pi with RopieeeXL, I can only use Spotify and Roon (Deezer doesn't support DLNA). If I connect a Bluesound Node 2i, I can use Deezer but the functionality is limited (no thumbs up/down).

I thought about a NUC but I haven't seen much about using it as a streamer for all of the different services (but maybe my Google Kung Fu isn't that good).

Any thoughts on a "perfect" streamer that can handle all the services?

Thanks for any input.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
to avoid the noisy environment
Do you have any noise issues?
Any well designed DAC has a USB receiver protecting the DAC against this "noise".
That is the major reason why all kind of noise reducers as measured by Amir don't do anything useful.

BTW: a NUC is a small form factor PC hence it could run all the software your PC does.

An alternative might be a streamer + mobile.
The app on the mobile send all streaming ervices to the streamer e.g. https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/417.html

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any well designed DAC has a USB receiver protecting the DAC against this "noise".
That is the major reason why all kind of noise reducers as measured by Amir don't do anything useful.

BTW: a NUC is a small form factor PC hence it could run all the software your PC does.

The app on the mobile send all streaming ervices to the streamer e.g. https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/417.html

I suspect the OP is referring to physical pc noise (fan etc) rather than electrical interference. So yes, a fanless NUC might be the answer to that too.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Just purchased an Audioengine B-Fi (about $190), it has a simple friendly interface or you can ignore the interface and use the apps on your phone, pad, laptop to direct the show. Uses your wireless network so it should provide superior results compared to bluetooth. So far the B-Fi is working great, <1/2 the cost of a Port or Node.

OP
S

Sounchasr

Thank you all for the suggestions! I was beginning to lose hope. I will check out what has been suggested.

Question: I searched about going the NUC route and can't find how to do it. Would I be able to control the nuc from my main PC? I'd really rather not run my music from my phone/tablet.

OP
S

Sounchasr

I suspect the OP is referring to physical pc noise (fan etc) rather than electrical interference. So yes, a fanless NUC might be the answer to that too.

Right. Don't have any issues but just following the advice of others that I should stay away from noisy PC.

OP
S

Sounchasr

That Matix looks interesting. I assume I can connect my Codex DAC to it via XLR. Surprising that it only has RCA and XLR outs.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Perfect it's not but I'm happy enough with my PW-Link which offers Anthem Room Correction for $199 in addition to its steaming capabilities, I'm planning on buying another. I'm using Spotify, Tidal, Amazon and Qobuz. Amazon and Spotify can use their own apps, Tidal and Qobuz either Play-Fi or Bubble UpNP. The not perfect part is 24/48 limit on the optical output. No it's not a Matrix but $800 will buy you a lot elsewhere which is actually audible.

OP
S

Sounchasr

That Matix looks interesting. I assume I can connect my Codex DAC to it via XLR. Surprising that it only has RCA and XLR outs.

Correction: My Codex inputs are only Optical and USB. So, can't use the Matrix (although it looked like a great solution).

firedog

When I have my DAC connected to my PC, I can use all the streaming services (Tidal, Amazon, Deezer, Spotify, etc.). However, when I decide to move the streaming away from my PC (to avoid the noisy environment) I'm running into problems being able to access all services.

If I use a Raspberry Pi with RopieeeXL, I can only use Spotify and Roon (Deezer doesn't support DLNA). If I connect a Bluesound Node 2i, I can use Deezer but the functionality is limited (no thumbs up/down).

I thought about a NUC but I haven't seen much about using it as a streamer for all of the different services (but maybe my Google Kung Fu isn't that good).

Thanks for any input.
You can run Logitech Media Server/Squeezelite on your server/Pi which has a Deezer Plugin. Ropieee XL will also connect via LMS.The Pi can run almost anything you need, you just need to find the software that fits your needs. I believe diet-pi will do all of the above except for Amazon. Amazon is an outlier, it isn't well developed for streaming apps at the moment. I believe you can access it over a web browser, so you can do that on a Pi, too.

The NUC should work for all of them, as it is a Windows PC.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sounchasr

You can run Logitech Media Server/Squeezelite on your server/Pi which has a Deezer Plugin. Ropieee XL will also connect via LMS.The Pi can run almost anything you need, you just need to find the software that fits your needs. I believe diet-pi will do all of the above except for Amazon. Amazon is an outlier, it isn't well developed for streaming apps at the moment. I believe you can access it over a web browser, so you can do that on a Pi, too.

The NUC should work for all of them, as it is a Windows PC.

I'll check out the Logitech solution.

What is LMS? I didn't think there was any way to run Deezer on RopieeeXL.

Re: Amazon. How would I send the audio from my browser to the Pi? I don't think it is seen as an audio device.

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
Surprising that it only has RCA and XLR outs.

It is a streamer, hence something you connect to the LAN.
All its inputs are digital.
Its outputs are analog so you don't need a outboard DAC.
You can also use it as a USB-DAC or even feed it legacy protocols like SPDIF

OP
S

Sounchasr

It is a streamer, hence something you connect to the LAN.
All its inputs are digital.
Its outputs are analog so you don't need a outboard DAC.
You can also use it as a USB-DAC or even feed it legacy protocols like SPDIF

I get that. I just don't want to use it as the DAC. I like to have my separate DAC.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Is there anything that can't stream to a Chromecast Audio? Discontinued, but readily available.

Eetu

Forum Donor
Correction: My Codex inputs are only Optical and USB. So, can't use the Matrix (although it looked like a great solution).
I get that. I just don't want to use it as the DAC. I like to have my separate DAC.
The Matrix Element I has a pretty great internal DAC. If you have the same Ayre Codex as reviewed by Amir I wouldn't hang on to it forever.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

HifiFan

(first post ;)
I just built mine based on Asrock Deskmini + Ryzen3400g (inspired by below video). The stock fan is noisy. I replaced with low profile noctua. It's dead silent. If you install Win10 pro, you can remote desktop to it.

jae

Major Contributor
One nice option is the Lenovo ThinkCentre M90n IoT version (fanless): https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/deskto...s/ThinkCentre-M90n-IoT/p/thinkcentre-m90n-iot

There's a fan version available as well with a bit better processor and more ram, but it's pretty quiet at typical loads: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/deskto...-nano-series/ThinkCentre-M90n-1/p/11TC1MNM93N

Although both those options are a bit pricey.

The video above is good, you can use similar parts in a fanless case from streacom/hdplex if desired. There's a lot of decent thin-itx cases coming out as well if you an find an appropriate motherboard

Last edited:
Top Bottom