• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a USB DAC for MacBook Pro 14"

Kain

I got my first Mac about a week ago. I want to connect my 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S that I use with my PC to the MacBook. Any recommendations for a USB DAC that sounds at least as good as the Sound Blaster AE-9 in my PC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Since the JBLs all have XLR connectivity, I would look for a DAC with balanced output, to avoid possible ground loop noise once you plug the MacBook in to charge it.

Here are some desktop DACs with balanced output:
-SMSL M300 SE ($130)
-Topping D10 Balanced ($140)
-Khadas Tone2 ($150)
-SMSL D-6 ($170)

All of them are 100% transparent, so they don't actually have a "sound". They play back precisely what's in your audio files, and nothing more.

And before you ask, the output jacks used by the D10B, Tone2, and D-6 are 100% interchangeable with XLR jacks. There is no disadvantage to them not being 'proper' XLR. they're balanced (differential) Line outputs all the same,

In case you're looking for something more affordable, it may be possible to use a 4.4mm pentaconn dongle DAC as a balanced line output.
Stuff like the Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm, Moondrop Dawn Pro, or Truthear Shio.
Though you should first confirm with their customer service that they have fully implemented the Pentaconn jack including the fifth GND pin, before you connect them to an external monitor.

If that is given, then you could use a 4.4mm Pentaconn to 2x XLR Adapter to use these dongles like a desktop DAC and the sound would be 100% the same.

The only things you would give up are Bluetooth/Coax/Toslink inputs, a volume knob, a remote control, LDC screen etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom