• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Look Inside JBL Studio 580

pocoloco

Getting these shipped to Amir is unlikely, they're HUGE. The 590's are one of the most enjoyable speakers I've own in my 20 year hobby.
IMG_20200321_175813.jpg

wje

Forum Donor
There is the new JBL HDI series, tho.

True. But, a comparable JBL HDI model close to the JBL Studio 530 would run you about $2,000 for the pair. That opens up the game a bit further if you're in the market for a $2,000 pair of speakers. Getting the JBL 530s @ $300 was really a no-brainer. But, opting for the HDI series, does take some more consideration.

wje

Forum Donor
Getting these shipped to Amir is unlikely, they're HUGE. The 590's are one of the most enjoyable speakers I've own in my 20 year hobby.

Did you modify your 590s by using some after-market floor spikes? They look great!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True. But, a comparable JBL HDI model close to the JBL Studio 530 would run you about $2,000 for the pair. That opens up the game a bit further if you're in the market for a $2,000 pair of speakers. Getting the JBL 530s @ $300 was really a no-brainer. But, opting for the HDI series, does take some more consideration.

The whole set score was good for me, and that recent $300/pr price was better than I paid used by a bit (paid $625 for the 530s/520C). Since I saved on each set overall am very pleased with the total cost. Definitely the HDIs will cost more but they do look pretty nice.....

Reactions: wje

displayname

If anyone is in the market for a set of Studio 580s, they appear to be sold out from jbl direct, but I have a set for sale in DFW. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Jlm86

My modest system with a pair of JBL 530s and 2 10" Monolith subs. I'm surprised by the performance of the JBL speakers. I've owned many others in the past at a higher cost, but these have really captured my attention.

View attachment 51090
Very nice.... Question
Thinking of replacing my hsu hb mk2 L/R with 530s. I play pretty loud though.

Existing,.
Denon 3600 avr
hsu Vtf-15 sub.
jbl 520center.

Jlm86

Regarding sale on 570s...
Does anyone have experience with these?
Already have the 520c center and hsu vtf-15 sub..
Thank you

MadMan

With a sub they'd probably be great.

I have a pair of 580 and a 520c for 3-channel front-only 'home theater'/television. (I'm not a huge videophile so wasn't considering even 5.1 surround.) There's a commercial with a bit of a cheesy in-home demonstration they did about the waveguide of the tweeters providing great sound to a wide area, so that everyone got good sound quality, not just the sweet spot. I've found that is really the best aspect of these speakers, they really do image well and have a nice soundstage....when placed right, it goes way beyond the speakers.

D

Deleted member 2944

I picked up a pair of 580's for the good deal sale price awhile back. These are much too hot at the top end for me.
I suggest some electronic equalization or a 5 ohm resistor in series with the tweeter network to fix. The balance is much better then.

I prefer plugging the vents. Not with the supplied foam plugs (which are not really plugs), but rather an old t-shirt (or similar) to completely block. Some bass equalization ala LT then brings the system to a good result, without subwoofers.

Dave.

MadMan

Of course there's preference and room effects. I don't find them too bright, but I do plus the port with the included plugs. The bass was a bit boomy or one-notey in my setup without them, possibly a room effect. In a larger room and with good distance to walls some people might not want them plugged.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Comparing the 580 size vs 590 size. I got rid of the 590's. The 580's sounded better to me. The 580's seemed to integrate the sound of the drivers and soundstage better in my room. Also the 590's (in my room) were a little too bass heavy for me.

View attachment 50987

Comparing size of the 580’s to my old Klipsch RP280F (living room is lively I didn't keep either pair up here long, but the 580's we noticeably less bright in this room)

View attachment 50988

The 590 are massive!!

muad

Does anyone have any in room measurements of the 570, 580 or 590? I'm especially curious to see some moving mic measurements if anyone has some.

mediazone

I’ve been running a pair of JBL Studio 580’s for over a year. It’s probably the longest I’ve kept a pair of speakers. Needless to say I enjoy them. Below are some pictures of the internals. I’ll spare most of my subjective comments other than looking inside the box and at the components it looks to me like you get a lot for the asking price of $700 per pair.

View attachment 50983

View attachment 50984

Nice cast baskets
View attachment 50985

View attachment 50986

I didn’t get pics of the 2414H-1 compression drivers. I couldn’t figure out how to pop the horn off to get access.

Quick correction the Studio 580 does not use driver 2414H-1. That's the driver for the 530's and 520c. Both the 580's and 590's use driver 2414H which has a bigger magnet and quite heavier. It's very easy to remove the horn/driver from the studio series, just apply a bit of heat (around the horn) with a hair dryer or if your in hot climate leave speaker outside in the sun for a while. This causes the glue to soften enough to remove the horn with the driver attached to it. You can order these drivers directly from JBL, 2414H-1 is around $54 and 2414H is $106.

mediazone

Comparing the 580 size vs 590 size. I got rid of the 590's. The 580's sounded better to me. The 580's seemed to integrate the sound of the drivers and soundstage better in my room. Also the 590's (in my room) were a little too bass heavy for me.

View attachment 50987

Comparing size of the 580’s to my old Klipsch RP280F (living room is lively I didn't keep either pair up here long, but the 580's we noticeably less bright in this room)

View attachment 50988

Same I also preferred the 580's to the 590's.

Has anyone tried getting the drivers and crossover from a 580 or 590 and placing them in a smaller speaker cabinet like an MTM? To be used as a center channel speaker instead of the 520c or Infinity center? I'd like to have those same drivers in a cabinet that would fit under my 75" oled tv. I'v seen some people put the tv above the original tower but that cant be good for your neck nor would it be ideal to have to look up. I wonder how much the sound would change even with a quality cabinet?

lol maybe if I cut the bottom part of the 580 cabinet and reattach the base to make a small studio 580 tower?

Top Bottom