• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Longer silicone tips for medium nozzle IEMs? Alternatively, longer nozzle IEMs?

Adamant11746

I've been using Tangzu Ze Tian Wu IEMs for daily listening, and recently the tips (Spinfit CP155, which the nozzle seemed barely big enough for) both came off as I was removing them from my ears. After picking the right one up off the floor and fishing the left one out of my ear, I tried CP145 tips but they weren't quite long enough to be comfortable. I found some foam tips that are comfortable, but I don't want to keep replacing them. My first thought was a double or triple flange set, so I ordered a set of CP240, but I'm actually in between small and medium (the top flange on the small size didn't seal and made my ears itch, the medium size wasn't itchy but was too wide at the bottom flange). I don't really know what other tips to try, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions.

Edit: Alternatively, I'd consider trying relatively cheap (under $150, preferably under $50) IEMs with longer nozzles. That would be similar length to the Truthear Zero but not 7mm wide like the Zero. It's nearly impossible to find info on nozzle length, and even width is tough to find, so again looking for IEMs that people here have tried.

Last edited:

asrUser

Try Epro EP00 and Dunu S&S.

asrUser

Neither of those seem like what I'm looking for. The Dunu tips are very short, and the Epro tips seem close to the CP145 in length.
Dunus aren't supposed to glide inside your ears. They cover the outer area while still sealing well. Those are my favourite tips. Size L would fit most people. Smaller ears maybe M.

OP
A

Adamant11746

Dunus aren't supposed to glide inside your ears. They cover the outer area while still sealing well. Those are my favourite tips. Size L would fit most people. Smaller ears maybe M.
I don't see how that's possible. I use size M CP145, and they're 1mm wider than the large Dunus. If they don't seal in the outer area, I don't think something skinnier would.

For anyone thinking of making other suggestions I do still want tips for the Ze Tian Wu, but I also decided to try out the Kiwi Ears Cadenza since it's cheap, everything I can find about it says it's comfortable, and I've been thinking about trying it for a while.

asrUser

I don't see how that's possible. I use size M CP145, and they're 1mm wider than the large Dunus. If they don't seal in the outer area, I don't think something skinnier would.
Seeing is believing. You can't compare your usual cone tips to those like Dunu S&S or Epro. They're like reversed ear tips

I'm done suggesting. It seems like you fear small spendings.

OP
A

Adamant11746

Update on the Cadenza: It is the only IEM other than the Etymotic ER2XR (which was incredibly uncomfortable) that I decided to return within the first listening session. Compared to the Ze Tian Wu and Truthear Zero, the Cadenza was severely lacking treble. In fact, until I tried EQ and got good results I thought they might be defective! Not only that, despite the small size they weren't comfortable enough to be worth keeping (slightly less comfortable than the Ze Tian Wu, and with the same nozzle length problem).

I'd really appreciate recommendations for double/triple flange tips, since it looks like the Ze Tian Wu is the most comfortable IEM I'm going to find for now.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Update on the Cadenza: It is the only IEM other than the Etymotic ER2XR (which was incredibly uncomfortable) that I decided to return within the first listening session. Compared to the Ze Tian Wu and Truthear Zero, the Cadenza was severely lacking treble. In fact, until I tried EQ and got good results I thought they might be defective! Not only that, despite the small size they weren't comfortable enough to be worth keeping (slightly less comfortable than the Ze Tian Wu, and with the same nozzle length problem).

I'd really appreciate recommendations for double/triple flange tips, since it looks like the Ze Tian Wu is the most comfortable IEM I'm going to find for now.
There's no magic recommendations when it comes to IEM tips, since everyone's ears are slightly different (and some people's left and right ears are different from each other!) People also have different levels of treble sensitivity and range which can change tip-to-tip. You just have to experiment. The good thing is that tips are fairly inexpensive.

Listening to or reading a post from someone telling you about how particular brands of different "tips" sound (to them) is a bit like listening to your coworker tell you about the dream they had last night - it may be interesting to them, but not really relevant to you.

markanini

Major Contributor
What's wrong with finding a set that has usable stock tips? Should you not expect that instead of hunting for third party tips?

LearningToSmile

It looks like you have the same problem as me when it comes to nozzle length with the cadenza - personally I have no problems with its treble for the most part(other than wearing cadenza under a beanie hat seems to damp the sound somewhat which I didn't expect) but the fit is atrocious. They seem to float in my ear just being held up by the tip and that's a recipe for trouble. Couldn't get them to work with silicone tips at all, had to use foam tips.

In contrast, an IEM that I find supremely comfortable, and that specifically has a much longer nozzle is the QKZ x HBB Khan - it just fits perfectly into my ear where it just rests solidly and can't be pushed any deeper, but also doesn't come out at all on its own. It also has a bit more treble energy. Possible downside is the bass tuning, it has a sharp rise under 150hz instead of a steady glide, and the flat response between 150hz - 200hz makes some tracks sound a bit less natural. But on others it sounds great, and it's definitely a competent set overall. I haven't personally heard Truthear Zero but the Khan has a similar tuning with seemingly a bit more bass and a bit more treble. But as far as comfort goes it's by far the most comfortable set I tried despite also being one of the largest.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
What's wrong with finding a set that has usable stock tips? Should you not expect that instead of hunting for third party tips?
What's usable for you is not necessarily usable for another person. "Usability" has nothing to do with the quality or the price of the tips. Tips cost manufactures pennies per 1,000. There is no "right" tip for a particular IEM that the manufacturer "should" have shipped them with. Tips are about how well their particular form factor fit your ear canals to create a tight seal at the right insertion depth. This is different for everyone. Different bore widths, insertion depths due to shape, materials (foam) impact how an IEM sounds to you. IEM's aren't headphones or speakers.

Rather than buying IEM after IEM because the 2 cent tips they are shipped with don't fit well - it makes more sense to try cheap after market tips if you aren't satisfied with the sound.

TimW

Major Contributor

I was going to recommend the ER2XR but I see it didn't fit well at all. How does the Truthear Zero fit for you? I use those and my QKZ x HBB Khan just about daily. The Khan was heavily inspired by the Zero as can be seen by the driver configuration, there are just some small tweaks between them. Tuning wise the Khan has slightly more sub bass and the midrange is less forward, which is nice for songs with vocals that are very forward in the mix but not so much for recessed vocals. HBB also made sure to make the nozzle of the Khan narrower than the Zero because he found some slight discomfort with it. Personally the Zero doesn't cause me any discomfort, but I can definitely feel it more in my ear than the Khan which does a better job of floating off of the tips.

I can't recommend any tips since my ears seem very different than yours. I will say I have never found a silicone tip that stayed sealed in my ear. Now I buy 20 packs of SONICFOAM tips.

markanini

Major Contributor
What's usable for you is not necessarily usable for another person. "Usability" has nothing to do with the quality or the price of the tips. Tips cost manufactures pennies per 1,000. There is no "right" tip for a particular IEM that the manufacturer "should" have shipped them with. Tips are about how well their particular form factor fit your ear canals to create a tight seal at the right insertion depth. This is different for everyone. Different bore widths, insertion depths due to shape, materials (foam) impact how an IEM sounds to you. IEM's aren't headphones or speakers.

Rather than buying IEM after IEM because the 2 cent tips they are shipped with don't fit well - it makes more sense to try cheap after market tips if you aren't satisfied with the sound.
It seems very anti consumer though, would you buy a car with unusable stock tires?

OP
A

Adamant11746

I did some looking on amazon and found what seemed to be the only seller that included measurements with their double flange tips (although the tips themselves seem to be the same across sellers). They seem to be the right size, so I just went ahead and ordered them. For those of you who suggested the Khan, thank you for the recommendation. If the tips I ordered and any future tip suggestions don't work out I will probably try it, but it makes sense to try the cheaper option first.

Last edited:
OP
A

Adamant11746

Here's an update on my current situation with this problem.
  • Double flange tips didn't quite fit, and the silicone and molding quality was poor.
  • Tried the Khan, which had a nearly perfect shell shape for my ears. Unfortunately that improved fit pushed the nozzles (which are nearly as long and not much skinnier than the Zero's) too deep into my ears. Even small tips didn't help with that, and I ended up returning them.
  • Tried giving up on silicone tips and using foam, but after a particularly long (several hours) listening session I realized the foams don't go deep enough with the Ze Tian Wu either and will eventually slip out of my ears.
I'm currently back to using the Truthear Zero, which would be perfect if they were just a tiny bit smaller in all dimensions. As is the top rear corner rubs on part of my ear and starts to become uncomfortable. It's very frustrating, I need something like the Cadenza with longer nozzles or the Zero with a smaller body and I'm not sure if anyone has made that. One thing that has become very clear in my search is that I need a vertical fit like the Cadenza, Khan, Ze Tian Wu, and Zero, my ears are very small front to back.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same issue as you, the only thing that worked was a canal fit (I think that's the term) IEM like Etymotic, Sony IER series, or Technics TZ700. All are a bit more expensive

Also, Azla Sedna EarFit tips give me a good seal with less insertion depth.

khensu

It looks like you have the same problem as me when it comes to nozzle length with the cadenza - personally I have no problems with its treble for the most part(other than wearing cadenza under a beanie hat seems to damp the sound somewhat which I didn't expect) but the fit is atrocious. They seem to float in my ear just being held up by the tip and that's a recipe for trouble. Couldn't get them to work with silicone tips at all, had to use foam tips.

In contrast, an IEM that I find supremely comfortable, and that specifically has a much longer nozzle is the QKZ x HBB Khan - it just fits perfectly into my ear where it just rests solidly and can't be pushed any deeper, but also doesn't come out at all on its own. It also has a bit more treble energy. Possible downside is the bass tuning, it has a sharp rise under 150hz instead of a steady glide, and the flat response between 150hz - 200hz makes some tracks sound a bit less natural. But on others it sounds great, and it's definitely a competent set overall. I haven't personally heard Truthear Zero but the Khan has a similar tuning with seemingly a bit more bass and a bit more treble. But as far as comfort goes it's by far the most comfortable set I tried despite also being one of the largest.
This matches my experience almost to the letter. I have the TCZ, the Khan and the Cadenzas. I think they all sound great, but where the TCZ and Khans fit perfectly, the shorter nozzle length of the Cadenza seems to be my issue as well. The same tips that work perfectly for tcz and khan don’t provide a good seal for me with the Cadenzas. Just like you said, they kind of just “sit’ there in my ears. If I position them just exactly right, they sound perfect, but they move around too easily.

I tried the Sonicfoam tips, and they do work. Very good seal, and they sound great, but they tend to make my ears hurt after a short time. I bought the large size, because that’s the perfect size for me with the tcz and khan’s silicon tips.

Is it possible trying medium Sonicfoams would work (i.e. still be big enough for a good seal)? I’ve looked into some double-flange tips, but can’t seem to find any big enough for the Cadenza’s nozzle diameter, which appears to be a bit >5mm.

If anybody has a suggestion for me, I’m all ears (pun definitely intended).

khensu

Assuming you care about Cadenza due to the sound, and TCZ fits okay, the Zero:Red measures very close with the bass adapter: https://timmyv.squig.link/?share=Timmy_Target,Project_Red_IMP_2,Kiwi_Cadenza
Thanks.. I’ve already ordered the Red since I don’t have enough similar IEMs yet. :)

To be honest, while I do like the Cadenza, I spend most of my time with the TCZ and Khan atm. I suppose I’m more working out strategies to solve these kinds of issues in the future.

markanini

Major Contributor
Thanks.. I’ve already ordered the Red since I don’t have enough similar IEMs yet. :)

To be honest, while I do like the Cadenza, I spend most of my time with the TCZ and Khan atm. I suppose I’m more working out strategies to solve these kinds of issues in the future.
Kiwi Cadenza impressed me when my prior best IEM was Sony MH755. After trying Truthear Hola and Moondrop Lan it's become underwhelming to me. I have a Red ordered too, just to still my curiosity.

Top Bottom