• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Logitech Media Server etc...

ta240

Major Contributor
To be honest, some of those members are unhappy about the recently announced termination of TIDAL, Deezer, and Pandora support next month. These services depend on Logitech's cloud and, 12 years after the company closed shop on Squeezebox, those servers are about to be shut down.
I'm bummed about them shutting it down but amazed they kept it running as long as they did. I'm also thrilled that the system is still quite functional without their server. A lot of other recent products can't work on their own that easily or at all. So I will take that as a win.

I've always used it with a local server so that part is not a big deal. I'd imagine a lot of raspberry pi based LMS servers will pop up on Ebay soon to fill the need.

I'll have to adjust to a new streaming service but, once again, it is amazing that there are a couple that will work without the Logitech server due to the work of the fans.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest, some of those members are unhappy about the recently announced termination of TIDAL, Deezer, and Pandora support next month. These services depend on Logitech's cloud and, 12 years after the company closed shop on Squeezebox, those servers are about to be shut down.

It was always a nice feature of Squeezebox that you could listen to internet radio stations and some online music services without the need for a local server. Starting in March, however, LMS will need to be running somewhere on your network or you'll lose all Squeezebox functionality. It's an easy enough problem to solve with a Raspberry Pi or a PC, but for some that is already too much.

I've always run LMS on a local server and I don't use any online music services, so I'm not expecting to see much change. TIDAL and Deezer subscribers will need to switch over to Qobuz or Spotify if they want to continue with Squeezebox.

More information:
i am not sure why anyone would use the mysqueezebox service. it never added any value.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
i am not sure why anyone would use the mysqueezebox service. it never added any value.
It never added any value for you or me, but did for those wanting to use Tidal, Deezer or Pandora, and/or who didn't want to run LMS locally for whatever reason. I'm surprised they kept it running as long as they did though - with a lot of companies now you'd be lucky to get 12 months after they stopped selling them (or in the case of certain ChromeBooks, dropping out of support while they're still being sold!)

tw99

It never added any value for you or me, but did for those wanting to use Tidal, Deezer or Pandora, and/or who didn't want to run LMS locally for whatever reason. I'm surprised they kept it running as long as they did though - with a lot of companies now you'd be lucky to get 12 months after they stopped selling them (or in the case of certain ChromeBooks, dropping out of support while they're still being sold!)

Agreed. Overall I don't think LMS users can complain too much about how this has been handled by Logitech. Most companies would just have stopped development 10 years ago, archived the sources, shut down the cloud service, put all the staff onto something else and pretty much instantly forgotten about it.

We've had the software open-sourced, a Logitech engineer with funding to continue work on it, plus 10 years of the cloud service.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
We've had the software open-sourced, a Logitech engineer with funding to continue work on it, plus 10 years of the cloud service.
It was open source before Logitech bought Slim Devices. That takes nothing away from the extended support they have provided.

ModelCitizen

Apps for Tidal, Pandora and Deezer are in development. These are independent of MySqueezebox.com and run on LMS. Look at the forums: https://forums.slimdevices.com.

And, you can still buy lots of original but used Squeezeboxen via ebay....

And there's currently this rare gem too, an SB+:

sweetsounds

Apps for Tidal, Pandora and Deezer are in development. These are independent of MySqueezebox.com and run on LMS. Look at the forums: https://forums.slimdevices.com.

And, you can still buy lots of original but used Squeezeboxen via ebay....

And there's currently this rare gem too, an SB+:

For those impatient: there is a piCorePlayer which includes TIDAL support already. That's how I set up a local LMS Server using a Raspberry 3B.

LMS for me is still the best infrastructure for music listening:
- open source
- Roon compatible
- runs on Raspberry, Linux, Mac and PC as servers with SqueezeLite or as player with SqueezePlay
- build your own HiFi streamer with a LCD, HiFiBerry or DigiOne Signature DAC
- multiple user-interfaces like material skin
- great phone/tablet apps like iPeng, Squeezer or LMS material app

The only issue is, that I see no successor to a Squeezebox Radio (i.e. streamer, speaker, battery and display).

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I recently started using a mini Windows 11 PC as my LMS server and player. The Squeezebox forum crew have been working on making this set up easier to get up and running. I've had very good results, and I offer it as another option to anyone considering LMS.

Top Bottom