• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Logitech Media Server etc...

Abohir

I can't see, to find a download for the Inguz plugin. The main website has a download button but it doesn't do anything.

Anyone have the file folder for it? (Windows)

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Squeezebox Classic has been going strong since 2007. I also have a Chromecast Audio that can play from LMS.
Xk4scMO.jpg

The LMS is running on an older Intel NUC with Ubuntu 18.04.
ywrMzaR.jpg

Last edited:

Apesbrain

I can't see, to find a download for the Inguz plugin.
https://app.box.com/s/0iohpwgqnuiztmsd3y5g2dxqug4wdvq8

If you have any chance of this working, you must read the two links I provided above. Inguz EQ is no longer "officially" supported, so you need to install it manually. The original control interface -- written in Microsoft Silverlight -- is incompatible with modern browsers. That's why you also need the updated control panel. Install this after you've installed Inguz EQ.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Jazzman53

We are stuck at home.

After I've seen the awful measurements from the French brand D****** unit and put them in relation with the cost of their equipment, I think it's time to write few lines in total opposition with this kind of product.

Let's talk about Logitech Media Server, about low cost, open source, free, DIY solutions with certainly better measurements (easy bar).

Logitech Media Server is a piece of software design to stream music across a network. You will find more information as usual with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Media_Server

Initially the solution was build by Slim Devices company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Devices and Logitech bought Slim Devices maybe in 2008 / 2009... Software was Open Source and it is still the case.

LMS is FREE, under GNU General Public License (at the opposite of Demonvialet patenting their, err, what?, technology?) and LMS runs on Windows, Mac, Linux.

LMS is no more developed by Logitech but there is a nice community doing the job.
https://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?20-User-Forums

A server ok, and what about the clients?

Before the acquisition by Logitech, some "players" where available like the Squeezbox (thrre was few versions, the first one was only able to read MP3) and you will find the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeezebox_(network_music_player)

View attachment 56732

Owning the software, Logitech offered hardware...

The "Duet" system with a remote and a really nice player:

View attachment 56733

In France some guys offered a new clock and a nice SPDIF output for the unit and the player was very competent. But this product was a bit difficult to use because the remote.

After the Duet, Logitech started to sell the "Touch" player :

View attachment 56734

A very competent unit, with the excellent idea to use Linux inside! You can SSH, and somebody write the code to use USB DAC...

Then Logitech released a wonderful unit, the Transporter:

View attachment 56741

Also there was "Radio" but not too much interesting.

I think Logitech stopped operation in 2011 or 2012 with LMS, and the code was given to the community.

LMS code is still alive and we wan use it in plenty of solutions.

In the next lines, I want to show there is no limit... And I will start with what is laying on the table (Orange Pi Win).

ps: I invite you to correct every mistake, I am far to know everything.

I like my Transporter so much that I bought a spare off Ebay, in case my first one craps out :)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like my Transporter so much that I bought a spare off Ebay, in case my first one craps out :)
It is an extremely well designed device. I doubt anyone can discern the difference between it and the other top DACs. I have been in the Squeezebox ecosystem since 2005. And to me it is still the top pick.

Jazzman53

It is an extremely well designed device. I doubt anyone can discern the difference between it and the other top DACs. I have been in the Squeezebox ecosystem since 2005. And to me it is still the top pick.
On most streamers the digital out is merely a pass thru but the Transporter can be used as a digital preamp. I took my analog preamp out of the loop and now running a full digital signal path from the Transporter into a DBX Driverack crossover, and finally a single D/A conversion out to the amps. Awesome setup!

OP
R

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Rha, since the first post, I now use Docker on a single board computer Orange Pi Zero 2 (30€). LMS is containerised. And for the playerrs, I use different SBC but also with Docker and squeezelite is containerised.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rha, since the first post, I now use Docker on a single board computer Orange Pi Zero 2 (30€). LMS is containerised. And for the playerrs, I use different SBC but also with Docker and squeezelite is containerised.
I also run LMS as a VM with Workstation Pro. The advantage is that I can easily migrate stuff from one computer to another without a major re-install from scratch. Only bummer is that the networking part is not as plug-and-play as I'd wish, but hey. :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I also run LMS as a VM with Workstation Pro. The advantage is that I can easily migrate stuff from one computer to another without a major re-install from scratch. Only bummer is that the networking part is not as plug-and-play as I'd wish, but hey. :)
I run a HyperV host in my attic - one of the VM's I keep live at all times there, is my LMS - whereas the HyperV host also acts as a fileserver, hosting all the media files.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I been with LMS since 2007, while the devices were good, power supplies were problematic, and the duet was a challenge. I still have a BOOM, and was surprised when I looked up the design efforts that went it to it. The software is top notch.
Now run it through an Allo Digione Player. After trial and error, set up is easy, it's free, and a nice community of hobbyists improve it regularly.
Enjoy the Music!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I been with LMS since 2007, while the devices were good, power supplies were problematic, and the duet was a challenge. I still have a BOOM, and was surprised when I looked up the design efforts that went it to it. The software is top notch.
Now run it through an Allo Digione Player. After trial and error, set up is easy, it's free, and a nice community of hobbyists improve it regularly.
Enjoy the Music!
The Duet was a disaster indeed. I love the Boom... awesome sound when combined with a sub. I have one (with sub) in my bedroom. Puts me to sleep and wakes me up every day.

My main streamer to my DAC remains an SB Touch.

Michel Forbes

The Transporter got a word clock input and there is a major sound reproduction improvement by using an external word clock.
I used an AVID Clock as Word Clock Generator.

PO3c

A simple tip that seem to go under the radar. The Touch device will function as a remote for any player on your LMS system. Replicating the screen and controls. From Touch screen select
Settings > Choose Player

My current setup use RPi4 with RPi-OS > Squeezelite > CamillaDSP > USB DAC
where a couple of Touch now only are used for visualizen and control when in reach.

I've also added menus in Material Skin to open CamillaDSP UI and to control other aspect of the player through the LMS. LIke reboot daemons and switch output form the Squeezelite to CamillDSP or USB DAC direcly. Material Skin manual show howto: https://github.com/CDrummond/lms-material/wiki/07-Customisation

ta240

Major Contributor
A question on synchronizing players with on/off. I currently have multiple players that are synched and one is set to turn on with the others but it turns off whenever I turn off any of the others. I want it to stay on when I turn off a couple of the other synched players.
Is there an option that would set it to either turn off with a specific one of the synched players or wait until the last of the synched players was turned off?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question on synchronizing players with on/off. I currently have multiple players that are synched and one is set to turn on with the others but it turns off whenever I turn off any of the others. I want it to stay on when I turn off a couple of the other synched players.
Is there an option that would set it to either turn off with a specific one of the synched players or wait until the last of the synched players was turned off?
Their power consumption is quite low, like less than 5W when i measured with a Killawatt. I keep mine on.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
FYI- it might have already been stated above (maybe by me), but one of the great things about LMS is the active forum at https://forums.slimdevices.com/

Lots of helpful and happy members there.

Apesbrain

To be honest, some of those members are unhappy about the recently announced termination of TIDAL, Deezer, and Pandora support next month. These services depend on Logitech's cloud and, 12 years after the company closed shop on Squeezebox, those servers are about to be shut down.

It was always a nice feature of Squeezebox that you could listen to internet radio stations and some online music services without the need for a local server. Starting in March, however, LMS will need to be running somewhere on your network or you'll lose all Squeezebox functionality. It's an easy enough problem to solve with a Raspberry Pi or a PC, but for some that is already too much.

I've always run LMS on a local server and I don't use any online music services, so I'm not expecting to see much change. TIDAL and Deezer subscribers will need to switch over to Qobuz or Spotify if they want to continue with Squeezebox.

More information:

ta240

Major Contributor
FYI- it might have already been stated above (maybe by me), but one of the great things about LMS is the active forum at https://forums.slimdevices.com/

I posted it there too. I'm thinking it might not be something I can do.
I just want some music playing in the kitchen when the main system is on. This was such a slick option until I turned music on in another room and then turned it off and the kitchen went off too. I'm thinking maybe a bluetooth transmitter and a bluetooth speaker that goes into standby when there is no music playing.

Top Bottom