• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listen to my speakers/room through your headphones

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are quite a few very tech-savvy people here on ASR, so I'm copying my post on another forum to here for feedback and recommendations. Apologies if you have seen this already elsewhere.

The goal of the experiment is to provide a way for others to hear what my speaker system sounds like in my listening room. To do this, the thought is, that I need to capture the impulse response at my listening position. Then anyone can use my captured IR file to apply to their own music playback. To avoid applying your own system/room IR on top of mine, the listening should be performed using quality headphones. Here are the details:

My measured impulse response files linked below. Please try applying them using a convolution engine to your headphone playback and let me know what you think. I recommend not applying cross-feed initially, as that's how I listen. See if this helps you visualize/hear into my listening environment. Very curious about your feedback!

IR was captured at my listening position, playing a sine-sweep using REW using a Behringer calibrated mic. REW was also used to create the IR files. Room is my basement, somewhat cluttered and irregular wall/door openings but no windows. Thinly carpeted cement floor, speakers are located about 5m from the listening position, with about 4m in between, with very slight toe-in. Hung ceiling is about 8.5ft high. Speakers for this test were PSB Stratus Gold, and headphones were HE-560.

To me, the sound is much richer, more 3-D than when used without IR. A bit bass-heavy for my taste, but not exceedingly so. Tonal quality is very similar to my speaker playback, and I hear a lot of the spatial dimensions that must be part of the reverberant space in my listening room. Whether or not this accurately represents my room is hard to say, but I find that the sound is much closer to the in-room quality than without the IR "correction".

Actual IR files:
Left IR
Right IR

Here's my HQPlayer convolver configuration:

Measured response (left is red):

IR (left):

IR (right):

dc655321

Major Contributor
The goal of the experiment is to provide a way for others to hear what my speaker system sounds like in my listening room.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent, but are your impulse responses not (pseudo-) anechoic?
Hence, without your room's "special sauce" added?

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent, but are your impulse responses not (pseudo-) anechoic?
Hence, without your room's "special sauce" added?

They were measured at my listening position, so all the reflections/reverb of the room should be included, at least if they reached and were recorded by the mic. At least in theory ;)

dc655321

Major Contributor
all the reflections/reverb of the room should be included

Not an expert by any means, but at 1ms duration the impulse response will contain direct sound - no reflections.
Can you post an expanded plot of your IR (either channel), out to ~10ms? Just curious.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not an expert by any means, but at 1ms duration the impulse response will contain direct sound - no reflections.
Can you post an expanded plot of your IR (either channel), out to ~10ms? Just curious.

Zoomed in on the vertical scale to show some of the reflections:
ir-left10ms.png

dc655321

Major Contributor
Zoomed in on the vertical scale to show some of the reflections:
View attachment 16633

Thanks. But, I don't see anything in there that looks like a reflection. My fault for not asking for a large enough window.
At 5m from speaker to mic, that's ~15ms time-of-flight for direct sound. Reflections will of course arrive after that.
Not criticizing, just genuinely curious about your methods and measurements.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. But, I don't see anything in there that looks like a reflection. My fault for not asking for a large enough window.
At 5m from speaker to mic, that's ~15ms time-of-flight for direct sound. Reflections will of course arrive after that.
Not criticizing, just genuinely curious about your methods and measurements.

Measurement is using REW sine sweep. The IR is what was captured at my listening position, as derived by REW from the sweep. Anything missing from the capture is not my fault :)

There are side walls only a 1-2m away from each of the speakers, as well as the ceiling and the floor that will generate much earlier reflections. The right wall is cinder block, so is more reflective than the left wall, which is drywall. Here's the right IR:

ir-right20ms.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom