• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Liquors and flavored spirits. What are some nice choices?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I will have to try that. I got the tip for the Antica from "Pappyland: A Story of Family, Fine Bourbon, and the Things That Last" - Julian Van Winkle recommends it for Manhattans.

Sounds like you would like the Stanley Tucci recipe for the Negroni! (he doubles the gin to cut the sweetness.)

I must say, that I am enjoying the discussion tonight about spirits and bars...I've worked my whole life in "audio" - mostly commercial installations and for several manufacturers in the commercial audio sector - so I can definitely geek out on discussions of cables, specifications, etc. But in the end, if it's good music, played well - I can enjoy it on just about anything. Especially if I am with people I love...

I find that my brain will fill in the gaps of sample rate, EQ, whatever......
Tempus Fuget has a lot of good product: REAL good product. ;)

That Gran Classico is probably the closest thing you will ever get to what Campari was meant to be. The company researches and deep dives into what the original Liqueur was meant to be and made by as close to the original recipe as possible. The Creme De Cacao TF makes is amazing. As is the Creme De Noyeaux. I made an absolutely religious Pink Squirrel using these Liqueurs and an Organic Local Heavy Cream....

Religions were built on less than this!

Anyway... If you can find that Gran Classico, its pretty solid. I do not buy Campari any more. Of course...

YMMV.
;)

Enjoy!

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
a good Dry Martini
There is skill and knowledge in a good martini. Repetitiveness for quality control is required for sure. I have gin of course and at present 2 bottles of Martini Bianco Vermouth for a dry martini but embarrassingly I however have no martini mixing accessories. I must get them, I've been mixing/stirring them in a frozen beer glass and then decanting into my drinking glass. They turn out pretty good and I gulp them down of course.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
There is skill and knowledge in a good martini. Repetitiveness for quality control is required for sure. I have gin of course and at present 2 bottles of Martini Bianco Vermouth for a dry martini but embarrassingly I however have no martini mixing accessories. I must get them, I've been mixing/stirring them in a frozen beer glass and then decanting into my drinking glass. They turn out pretty good and I gulp them down of course.
Dry Vermouth is a key ingredient. I Like Dolin Dry, myself, for Martini's. I also like a Dash of Bitters! Stirred and Strained. Twist of Lemon. :)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dry Vermouth is a key ingredient. I Like Dolin Dry, myself, for Martini's. I also like a Dash of Bitters! Stirred and Strained. Twist of Lemon. :)
You have a very vast knowledge of culinary stuff and mixology. I imagine after the decades of your experience and position as a executive chef allows you access to stuff we mortals never get to experience. I say this because near every time you comment it's new and intriguing food and beverage stuff for me. It's contagious. It makes me want to go out for dinner and get some! :D

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Rflmao... too much!
LOL... Flashing back to a Jim Morrison quote from An American Prayer. Something about "virgins bleeding"...

F-it if it's inappropriate. It's real. I'm 4 Doubles down and still standing. :p

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
You have a very vast knowledge of culinary stuff and mixology. I imagine after the decades of your experience and position as a executive chef allows you access to stuff we mortals never get to experience. I say this because near every time you comment it's new and intriguing food and beverage stuff for me. It's contagious. It makes me want to go out for dinner and get some! :D
Ah, Dood... There are more than a few of us.
;)
Thank you, and please do.
Support the best restaurants you can, and encourage the rest to be as good!
Please!
It is for the greater good.

folded-hands_1f64f.png

And pour a little out for those of us whom aren't there with you!
;)

Tempus Fuget has a lot of good product: REAL good product. ;)

That Gran Classico is probably the closest thing you will ever get to what Campari was meant to be. The company researches and deep dives into what the original Liqueur was meant to be and made by as close to the original recipe as possible. The Creme De Cacao TF makes is amazing. As is the Creme De Noyeaux. I made an absolutely religious Pink Squirrel using these Liqueurs and an Organic Local Heavy Cream....

Religions were built on less than this!

Anyway... If you can find that Gran Classico, its pretty solid. I do not buy Campari any more. Of course...

YMMV.
;)

Enjoy!
These guys? Tempus Fugit - I will order the Gran Classico ....thanks for the tip!

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These guys? Tempus Fugit - I will order the Gran Classico ....thanks for the tip!
I try to imagine what people thought of some hundreds of years ago as these old timer adult beverages where made. People must have been nutters about the flavors and mixology. I imagine food was not that complex hundreds of years ago for most folks and to have some of these liquors and stuff must have been mind blowing.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Yup. I misspelled the name.
*blushes

And if you don't like it and are within 1.5 miles of me I'll buy it from you at 1.25x your cost.
;)

But if you like Campari in your cocktails... and have a palate... you'll love this I think! :D

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I try to imagine what people thought of some hundreds of years ago as these old timer adult beverages where made. People must have been nutters about the flavors and mixology. I imagine food was not that complex hundreds of years ago for most folks and to have some of these liquors and stuff must have been mind blowing.
OK...
Are you ready for this?

Campari was "supposedly" made with a Beetle that gave it that red color!

Don't ask what is in those OLDE liqueurs! It's not in your best interest.
Believe in the MONKS that distilled it in the name of Health and Longevity!

:)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK...
Are you ready for this?

Don't ask what is in those OLDE liqueurs! It's not in your best interest.
Believe in the MONKS that distilled it in the name of Health and Longevity!

It's prolly the same beetle that was and is used to make red lipstick. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure I will like it. Have you tried this? Cask Tales - Campari aged in Bourbon Barrels
YummY! Om nom nom... I have not had bourbon since my oldest brother got me more than hosed at age ~9 on bourbon and brewskies. I vomited like crazy the next morning and was sick even smelling booze for months... A very bad influence but I liked it....lol. :D

YummY! Om nom nom... I have not had bourbon since my oldest brother got me more than hosed at age ~9 on bourbon and brewskies. I vomited like crazy the next morning and was sick even smelling booze for months... A very bad influence but I liked it....lol. :D
Reminds me of my first experience with alcohol…Bacardi…cant stand the smell of rum to this day. (40 + years….)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me of my first experience with alcohol…Bacardi…cant stand the smell of rum to this day. (40 + years….)
I was the same way with gin, tequila and of course bourbon for years. All due to 2 older influential brothers. I overcame the instinctual revulsion for those things and am back in the driver's seat! But I never buy tequila. It's just not my thang. Maybe I need to try more than the usual off the shelf stuff.

flor

Interesting marketing strategy.

Alcoholic Vodka is made from pure Swedish spring water. However, it is just as bad for you as any other vodka. Harmful use of alcohol is responsible for the disabilities and poor health of millions of people, and it contributes to over 3 million deaths each year globally.
1672734547649.jpeg

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK...
Are you ready for this?

pretty sure they are used to make the red food coloring that is typically used by food and drink processors.

Top Bottom