• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Liquors and flavored spirits. What are some nice choices?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for Dolin in martinis. St. George Terroir gin + Dolin Dry + Lemon Twist = $$$

If anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, Balcones Rye is terrible and nobody should buy it. If you see it, alert me immediately so I can complain to the store in question. :)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
+1 for Dolin in martinis. St. George Terroir gin + Dolin Dry + Lemon Twist = $$$

If anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, Balcones Rye is terrible and nobody should buy it. If you see it, alert me immediately so I can complain to the store in question. :)
Nice. I was just posting on the Spirits thread about my Martini tonight. ;)

gallionetech

If you are into Vodka, Elit is the smoothest I've ever had. You can't go wrong with it.

just1n

Forum Donor
Explore the world of Amari. It’s fun.
Chartreuse
Nocino
Aguardiente
Licor 43
Becherovka
Benedictine
Luxardo Maraschino

If I think of my I’ll add them.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Explore the world of Amari. It’s fun.
Chartreuse
Nocino
Aguardiente
Licor 43
Becherovka
Benedictine
Luxardo Maraschino

If I think of my I’ll add them.
While I adore some Amaro, what you've listed are not actually in that category. Dunno if that was intentional on your part, but Amari are specifically Italian (by origin of that class) and more recently can include non-Italian Bitter and Herbal Liqueurs (that part is very specific to the style).

Some of the more well known Amari are:
Campari, Aperol, Amaro Nonino, Averna, Cynar, Fernet, Montenegro, as well as many others.

There are some very good American Amari being produced now as well.

Chartreuse and Benedictine are both commonly used as sweeteners and are not very bitter at all though strongly herbal. Luxardo is very sweet, neither herbal or bitter. Aguardiente is more a base spirit (as I've learned it) than a Liqueur, though it would not surprise me to find some that are made into Liqueurs while still maintaining the name of Aguardiente.
Of what you listed, Nocino is the closest to an Amaro-type Liqueur due to it's bitterness, but is still not really considered Amaro. Rather it is much more closely related to Limoncello in it's production and involves a significant amount of sweetening compared to the process of making true Amaro.

:)

That said, I do agree with your assertion that exploring Amari is fun! :D

just1n

Forum Donor
While I adore some Amaro, what you've listed are not actually in that category. Dunno if that was intentional on your part, but Amari are specifically Italian (by origin of that class) and more recently can include non-Italian Bitter and Herbal Liqueurs (that part is very specific to the style).

Some of the more well known Amari are:
Campari, Aperol, Amaro Nonino, Averna, Cynar, Fernet, Montenegro, as well as many others.

There are some very good American Amari being produced now as well.

Chartreuse and Benedictine are both commonly used as sweeteners and are not very bitter at all though strongly herbal. Luxardo is very sweet, neither herbal or bitter. Aguardiente is more a base spirit (as I've learned it) than a Liqueur, though it would not surprise me to find some that are made into Liqueurs while still maintaining the name of Aguardiente.
Of what you listed, Nocino is the closest to an Amaro-type Liqueur due to it's bitterness, but is still not really considered Amaro. Rather it is much more closely related to Limoncello in it's production and involves a significant amount of sweetening compared to the process of making true Amaro.

:)

That said, I do agree with your assertion that exploring Amari is fun! :D
I see how it could be interpreted that way, but I was not implying the list was amari. Instead of listing a bunch I wanted to simply call out the category. The remaining items below that first line are some of my favorite liqueurs.

Amari is a so broad. From delicate and sweet with baking spice and mild bitterness to something like Novasalus which is an acquired taste for sure

just1n

Forum Donor
I was fortunate enough to work for an Italian bar with 30ish amari on the dessert menu. I taught classes to staff and served amari flights table side with distiller/flavor profile backgrounds to guests. It was a lot of fun though time consuming during peak hours.

Turambar

Since many years, I am a regular consumer of Chinchón, just like my parents and grandparents.

trackrat888

Amaro Lucano is a nicely balanced Amaro. Also, compari and soda with an orange wedge is simple and delicious on a hot day

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
bruadar-malt-whisky-liqueur.jpg

Whisky, honey and sloe berries, makes for easy drinking.

EMPIRICAL-AYUUK-500ml-FRONT_1100x.webp

For something a whole lot more experimental - Empirical Spirits in Denmark focuses on making spirits that defy our usual classification. Not quite gin, rum, whisky, mezcal or tequila.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
bruadar-malt-whisky-liqueur.jpg

Whisky, honey and sloe berries, makes for easy drinking.

EMPIRICAL-AYUUK-500ml-FRONT_1100x.webp

For something a whole lot more experimental - Empirical Spirits in Denmark focuses on making spirits that defy our usual classification. Not quite gin, rum, whisky, mezcal or tequila.
A beer mash (no hops), distilled and infused with chilies?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A beer mash (no hops), distilled and infused with chilies?

From their website:

"The smoky Pasilla Mixe chili is the sole botanical and the source of all the complexity in Ayuuk. We source it directly from Mixe farmers in the mountains of Oaxaca, Mexico, and macerate it in a spirit made from Danish heritage purple wheat and pilsner malt. After distillation the best fractions are rested in a sherry Oloroso cask, allowing the flavors to infuse and mature with each other, giving a smooth, distinct and savory finish."

Seems like a distilled malt/grain spirit that's infused (like gin) then distilled again before aging in a cask. FWIW it tasted savoury and smoky with some of the sherry tartness, several adventurous bars in our region of the world have begun mixing it in cocktails.

Last edited:

BigFKahuna

Tempus Fuget has a lot of good product: REAL good product. ;)

That Gran Classico is probably the closest thing you will ever get to what Campari was meant to be. The company researches and deep dives into what the original Liqueur was meant to be and made by as close to the original recipe as possible. The Creme De Cacao TF makes is amazing. As is the Creme De Noyeaux. I made an absolutely religious Pink Squirrel using these Liqueurs and an Organic Local Heavy Cream....

Religions were built on less than this!

Anyway... If you can find that Gran Classico, its pretty solid. I do not buy Campari any more. Of course...

YMMV.
;)

Enjoy!
Sadly, none of these products appear to be available in Canada. I have looked for a few years now and do bring a few bottles back during my travels. And as well the original Galliano d'Authentico (sp?) with the higher ABV. Closest I can find in taste to that might be Strega.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mount Gay Eclipse is a pleasant golden rum that tasted better than the supermarket spiced rum offerings such as Dead Man's Finger, Bacardi and Captain Morgan's.
I've recently had a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon and now have a bottle of Bulleit bourbon to sip - it too easily gets drowned in cola.

Quite partial to Pernod, and should probably buy a couple of bottles of Lilt pineapple and grapefruit as those are soon to disappear. Makes a lovely long drink or 3 with a few ice cubes.

Koko Kanu, coconut rum is rather delicious if one likes coconut. Sweet, smooth, a liquid Bounty bar without the chocolate. Maybe I should drop some creme de cacao in shaker with it and make a 'Bounty' cocktail.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If coffee is your thing, this is also delicious:

Coffee is coffee - and amazing.

Spirits are sprits and equally amazing.

They are diferent stuff and shoudn't be mixed

Coffee liquours are evil, and bad enough.

But liquour flavoured beans are a total abomination, and will bring down global civilisation.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
^ haha . . . Those two bottles of supermarket own brand pre-mixed Espresso Martini sitting across my room, and the other one in the refrigerator wouldn't be your thing then :p
Tia Maria is OK and so is Kahlua, but they gotta be used in specific ways - and a good tiramisu is not one of them!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Corpse Reviver 2

House adaptation:

1 oz Tanqueray
3/4 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz Cocchi Americano
1/2 oz Kina L'Aero D'Or
3/4 oz fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp (2 Dash) Absinthe
tiny pinch Kosher Salt

Shaken with ice, double strain, served up in a Coupe Glass, neat