• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Liquors and flavored spirits. What are some nice choices?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I've been getting an itch to make some Sangria lately. I don't know why, it is not a regular thing for me...
Perhaps it was the fresh cherries I'm seeing at the stores...
But like mulled wine in Winter, Sangria in Summer sounds purely blissful.

Extra Brandy, please. :D

I'm supposed to do up like 5-7 racks of Spare Ribs next week. Maybe a couple pitchers of Sangria will be appropriate.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No good peaches yet so we are putting in finely diced apple, strawberries and sometimes watermelon. (there is already citrus)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
No good peaches yet so we are putting in finely diced apple, strawberries and sometimes watermelon. (there is already citrus)
I was gonna do some apple and citrus as those are pretty standard. Cherry seems a nice touch. We have all the other stonefruit popping as well, but I would rather do that is a white sangria if I was gonna do something with that (personal pref. :) ).

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1657401472914.png

Plus

1657401516190.png

Plus

1657401554687.png

= YUM

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Every now and then I'll have 4 oz of Fireball Whiskey on the rocks. Always loved cinnamon....

Midnight Audiophile

I smoke a lot more weed than I drink but when I do drink I like Elijah Craig and Firefly's caramel moonshine. I keep a jar of it in the freezer and it's superb for straight sippin.
product-moonshine-caramel_0.png

rgpit

Forum Donor

Harvey Wallbanger Cocktail​

• 1 fluid ounce vodka
  • 4 fluid ounces orange juice
  • 1 cup ice
  • ½ fluid ounce Galliano liqueur

Mmmmmmm!​

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"St. George Pear Brandy is made from the most aromatic dry-farmed, organic Bartlett pears we can find-and we pack about 30 pounds of fruit into every 750ml bottle! This unsweetened spirit is stunningly fruit-forward, with all the complexity of a perfectly ripe pear. Enjoy!" You really taste the pears in this stuff. Make any mixed brandy drink with it and take a new ride.
11941645713438.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Exactly what are you referring to as fake? The photo? Or are you saying it's fake moonshine?
The photo... Label and cap sticker are just blatant clip art applied to a stock mason jar.

I have minimal issue with companies marketing "moonshine." I think it's silly, but that's another story and not what my comment was about. ;)

Can’t go wrong with an Old Fashioned.

IMO, bourbon and bitters can’t be beat!
Don't forget the simple syrup or old school muddled sugar cubes.

I often order this at a new bar - if you screw up this up then all bets are off! (Or if I ask you what Bourbons you have and your first answer is "Jack Daniels" - move along, nothing to see here.)

My two "go to" drinks:
Negroni: equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth. - I prefer Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth which leads me to my next favorite...

Manhattan: 2 parts whiskey / bourbon, 1 part sweet vermouth, 2 dashes bitters, garnish with brandied cherry ( I use Luxardo cherries)

For a mash up....try a Boulevardier. Basically a "Negroni for Bourbon lovers". Replace the Gin with Bourbon or rye whiskey.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Don't forget the simple syrup or old school muddled sugar cubes.

I often order this at a new bar - if you screw up this up then all bets are off! (Or if I ask you what Bourbons you have and your first answer is "Jack Daniels" - move along, nothing to see here.)

My two "go to" drinks:
Negroni: equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth. - I prefer Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth which leads me to my next favorite...

Manhattan: 2 parts whiskey / bourbon, 1 part sweet vermouth, 2 dashes bitters, garnish with brandied cherry ( I use Luxardo cherries)

For a mash up....try a Boulevardier. Basically a "Negroni for Bourbon lovers". Replace the Gin with Bourbon or rye whiskey.
If you want to "up" the game, doe a Gran Classico Boulevardier.
I prefer Rye, but the Gran Classico is a (IMO) superior replacement for Campari and really plays up to the Twist of Orange... Flamed if you like. ;)

For a Negroni, I find I need a touch more Gin.

Carpano Antica all the way! ;)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find I need a touch more Gin.
My buddy got me into gin after watching him sip away bottles of the stuff over a summer. Now nothing tastes any good unless it is gin'n tonic....lol. I should expand my horizons but the stuff is a classic.

If you want to "up" the game, doe a Gran Classico Boulevardier.
I prefer Rye, but the Gran Classico is a (IMO) superior replacement for Campari and really plays up to the Twist of Orange... Flamed if you like. ;)

For a Negroni, I find I need a touch more Gin.

Carpano Antica all the way! ;)
I will have to try that. I got the tip for the Antica from "Pappyland: A Story of Family, Fine Bourbon, and the Things That Last" - Julian Van Winkle recommends it for Manhattans.

Sounds like you would like the Stanley Tucci recipe for the Negroni! (he doubles the gin to cut the sweetness.)

I must say, that I am enjoying the discussion tonight about spirits and bars...I've worked my whole life in "audio" - mostly commercial installations and for several manufacturers in the commercial audio sector - so I can definitely geek out on discussions of cables, specifications, etc. But in the end, if it's good music, played well - I can enjoy it on just about anything. Especially if I am with people I love...

I find that my brain will fill in the gaps of sample rate, EQ, whatever......

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
My buddy got me into gin after watching him sip away bottles of the stuff over a summer. Now nothing tastes any good unless it is gin'n tonic....lol. I should expand my horizons but the stuff is a classic.
I had a college English Professor who drank T&Ts... Tanqueray and Tonics. (She wasn't my type. :oops: ) But I found I liked Gin.

Might have been my first... second... and third case of the SPINS!
Wheee!!!!

I stopped drinking Gin for no good reason at all.

Until I was introduced to the Last Word and the Corpse Reviver #2.

I am a gin fan again.

And I still appreciate a good Gin&Toninc and even a good Dry Martini if it's made right. ;)

Top Bottom