• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linux or Windows

Tschumi

Hello, did anyone compare the sound on Linux and Windows? Where did you sound better? Arguments are welcome

1589721087387.png

tw99

Both are capable of bit perfect output with the appropriate software. So in that case they will sound exactly the same.

Bob-23

Hello, did anyone compare the sound on Linux and Windows? Where did you sound better? Arguments are welcome

View attachment 63958
With regard to 'Linux': Should depend not that much on the resp. Linux distro (Debian, Suse, Rhel and their derivates) but more on if you use Alsa or PulseAudio, their resp. configuration, the player you use (I prefer quodlibet) and which equalizer (I like PulseEffects)etc. There'll probably be measurable differences, but if they are audible for the average user, that's a different kettle of fish.
I generally prefer free and open software, so, using spyware is not an option for me.

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Windows 10 is more organic. Another point for Windows: your screen becomes and advertisement panel. A lot of software you don't even know their names are installed without any request from the user, they do not have any more software engineer for quality test (customers do the job) and each update is worth than the previous one, introducing new dysfunctions.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Both are capable of bit perfect output with the appropriate software. So in that case they will sound exactly the same.
/thread
But, beyond bit-perfect, Linux is capable of higher quality output. DirectSound simply isn't configurable enough to compete with the likes of daemons like PulseAudio and JACK. An example being how there is an ability to use PulseAudio without resampling unless it's necessary, which helps with sound quality and saves cpu use as a bonus. Windows' DirectSound resamples no matter what.
By the way, a nice tool to have for audio under Linux is PulseEffects. It's a graphical interface for whole bunch of dsps. It's the only graphical way to use system-wide parametric eq I'm aware of.

Top Bottom