• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linking a Dj Console to an AV Processor

Sam Ash

I'm hoping knowledgeable members can help answer my questions. I am sure RCA outputs from a DJ console can be used to connect to an AV processor using RCA inputs on the AV processor. This way I can make use of the up-mix codecs in the processor such as DPLIIx. I am sure this is possible but I have the following questions:-

1. The volume would need to be controlled from the DJ console so the volume of the AV processor would be set to maximum and then controlled from the DJ console. Would this be ok to do?
2. When running the DJ console at high SPLs, is it possible to blow the RCA input circuits on the AV processor considering the fact that they are designed to achieve 85-100dB which is sufficient.
3. Are there any outboard RCA to RCA or XLR to RCA circuit protection devices that can protect the RCA input circuits on the AV processor?

Any input or help will be appreciated.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm hoping knowledgeable members can help answer my questions. I am sure RCA outputs from a DJ console can be used to connect to an AV processor using RCA inputs on the AV processor. This way I can make use of the up-mix codecs in the processor such as DPLIIx. I am sure this is possible but I have the following questions:-

1. The volume would need to be controlled from the DJ console so the volume of the AV processor would be set to maximum and then controlled from the DJ console. Would this be ok to do?
2. When running the DJ console at high SPLs, is it possible to blow the RCA input circuits on the AV processor considering the fact that they are designed to achieve 85-100dB which is sufficient.
3. Are there any outboard RCA to RCA or XLR to RCA circuit protection devices that can protect the RCA input circuits on the AV processor?

Any input or help will be appreciated.
I see no issue, you can not blow up the inputs of the AV, just setup the AV volume to be loud enough when you set the DJ console at -6dB or so and you are good to go with some headroom to spare.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm curious if you'll notice any latency with the upmixing. Has anyone measured this?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Maximum loudness or maximum desired loudness... You (probably) don't have to turn the knob to max. ;)

You aren't going to hurt the electronics. But make sure your speakers can handle the power. And, there is no "calibration" between digital line level and SPL level.

Speakers are supposed to be specified so that they can handle an amplifier rated for the same power that's not clipping/distorting. i.e. 100W speakers should be safe with a 100W amplifier with regular program material hitting 100W on the peaks. When you push an amplifier into distortion the average power goes up (even though the peaks are clipped/limited) and that can burn-out the speakers. Continuous test-tones can also fry speakers, and the tweeter can't handle as much power as the woofer, etc.

Top Bottom