• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lightweight, aesthetically ok absorbers

CapMan

Major Contributor
IMG_6178.jpeg

I picked up some of these PET based absorbers from Thomann recently to use at first reflection points

In the past I’ve used wooden framed, rock wool filled units. My wife hated them and it wasn’t practical to move them in and out of position as they are bulky. Also impractical to store for similar reasons.

The t-akustik line is Thomanns own brand (I have no affiliation to them) and I already had a ceiling cloud so I figured I’d try some of the panels. I’d love them to be thicker of course, but life is a compromise. In white they don’t look too obnoxious. They weigh less than 2kg each and are soft so can be easily moved around without strain or risk of damaging anything. I keep Them under the sofa when not in use.

They also have a reinforced hole in the back that enables them to be hung a small hook .
Thomann even provide measurements on their effectiveness which starts properly around 350Hz. Not perfect, but better than nothing. Will some measurements from REW when I get time.

Last edited:

ozzy9832001

Looks like they don't do much for frequencies lower than 300hz. That's the area where the most treatment is necessary. Unfortunately, to really work on the problematic areas, thick panels/traps are required. Yes it's a compromise...but there really is no alternative (except none). EQ will only do so much in that range.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Looks like they don't do much for frequencies lower than 300hz. That's the area where the most treatment is necessary. Unfortunately, to really work on the problematic areas, thick panels/traps are required. Yes it's a compromise...but there really is no alternative (except none). EQ will only do so much in that range.
Yep , understand that as I said in my post. They will control reflections to a reasonable degree. I am using dsp to manage bass modes.

Top Bottom