• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LFE channel on stereo downmixing?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm thinking about replacing my surround processor with a miniDSP SHD. Don't really have room (read: want to make) for a complete surround setup right now. But I'm wondering what the default behaviour is for TV's in terms of stereo downmixing. I use the internal play on my LG OLED and would use the optical out to get the sound out of it. But there are no options over what will be mixed in the 2.0 signal. Is it safe to presume this is going to be without the LFE channel? If that is the case I will have to look at a separate player that lets me set what is mixed in and then use the miniDSP SHD to send all the low end to my subs.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
All surround channels get mixed into 2ch using the algorithms of that codec (Dolby or DTS), though the levels of the LFE & surrounds get reduced.
I was afraid of that, I believe LFE is +10dB or something if its a separate track. Too bad there is no market for 2.1 with surround format support. Give me something with HDMI input, surround format support and 2.1 (2.2) output and I'm happy.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was afraid of that, I believe LFE is +10dB or something if its a separate track. Too bad there is no market for 2.1 with surround format support. Give me something with HDMI input, surround format support and 2.1 (2.2) output and I'm happy.
An AVR/processor, you just disable the center/surround channels.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
An AVR/processor, you just disable the center/surround channels.
Yes, but I'm also paying for 5 to 10+ channels I won't be using. And I believe DIRAC licensing is per channel....

Top Bottom