• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's share old, cheap-ish speakers with good measurements

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to go thrift shopping. We humans are quite wasteful, so it's good to re-use what we can. That can apply to audio gear too.

We know that good measurements correlate strongly with user preference. So if an old model measures well, barring any mechanical issues, it should sound as good today as years ago. Rather than always recommending new speakers, I thought it might be good to amass a list of older products that we know measure up to modern standards.

I'll sometimes see someone mention an old speaker I've never heard about and be surprised that it measures quite well. By old I don't necessarily mean 'vintage,' mind you. Instead, I mean any speakers that aren't being made and/or advertised any more. It may be a product from 10 years ago, or it may be a recently discontinued model. Going the thrifty route could help people get the same enjoyment they would out of a recent speaker for a lot less money.

So if you know of an old speaker that measures well, share it here, preferably along with current used or street prices so people can see how much of a deal they're getting.

I'll start with one speaker with impressive measurements I didn't know about until a few days ago: The Infinity IL60. Extends past 20 Hz, is ruler flat throughout most of its frequency response, and has smooth directivity.

Spin - Infinity IL60.png

It's hard enough to find a speaker that's actually full range, let alone with measurements this flat and directivity so smooth. I see a pair on eBay right now for local pickup in Colorado for $400. Another one with shipping for $1000, which still seems like a steal. You might be able to find them even cheaper on Craigslist or the like.

(With enough recommendations, I could potentially make this first post into a proper list format.)

Last edited:

amadeuswus

Forum Donor

dc655321

Major Contributor
I like to go thrift shopping. We humans are quite wasteful, so it's good to re-use what we can. That can apply to audio gear too.

We know that good measurements correlate strongly with user preference. So if an old model measures well, barring any mechanical issues, it should sound as good today as years ago. Rather than always recommending new speakers, I thought it might be good to amass a list of older products that we know measure up to modern standards.

I'll sometimes see someone mention an old speaker I've never heard about and be surprised that it measures quite well. By old I don't necessarily mean 'vintage,' mind you. Instead, I mean any speakers that aren't being made and/or advertised any more. It may be a product from 10 years ago, or it may be a recently discontinued model. Going the thrifty route could help people get the same enjoyment they would out of a recent speaker for a lot less money.

So if you know of an old speaker that measures well, share it here, preferably along with current used or street prices so people can see how much of a deal they're getting.

I'll start with one speaker with impressive measurements I didn't know about until a few days ago: The Infinity IL60. Extends past 20 Hz, is ruler flat throughout most of its frequency response, and has smooth directivity.

View attachment 37371

It's hard enough to find a speaker that's actually full range, let alone with measurements this flat and directivity so smooth. I see a pair on eBay right now for local pickup in Colorado for $400. Another one with shipping for $1000, which still seems like a steal. You might be able to find them even cheaper on Craigslist or the like.

(With enough recommendations, I could potentially make this first post into a proper list format.)

Nice find. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Floyd Toole characterized those speakers as "scary good".
Looks like a thoughtfully engineered 4-way at value pricing (when new; now it's a steal).

MSNWatch

My introduction to excellent measuring speakers purchasing them after reading the review of their baby brother in the audio critic about 20 years ago. Still use them in my master bedroom system equalized with ARC. Used to own their equally great measuring and better styled cousins the intermezzo 4.1ts (reviewed in TAC) but they got damaged when I moved.

Here is the 4.1t review by Don Keele in TAC:
https://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/mags/The_Audio_Critic_28_r.pdf

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Polk has its new Legend SDA series, but it's old LSiM speakers seemed to be quite the good performers and are now available quite affordably. The LSiM 703 is a relatively rare 3-way bookshelf, especially among mainstream brands. A small mid-range driver aids is very wide dispersion.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-lsiiim703-loudspeaker-measurements

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=839:nrc-measurements-polk-audio-lsim703-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=18

Curiously these measurements look quite different. It's likely this is because they were measured on different axes - Stereophiles measured on the Tweeter axis the NRC between the tweeter and mid-range driver.

The NRC doesn't show the same dramatic 10K shelf stereophiles does. Conversely, its dispersion looks slightly less even. Still a good measuring speaker in both cases though.

A used pair seems to run around $500-700.

Willem

Major Contributor
Unlike amplifiers where those from thirty years ago could already be perfect, and where only price and manufacturing technology have seen progress, speakers have seen real advances because e.g. of new materials and better computer modelling. They were and remain the weakest link and hence can and do benefit from technological progress. I for one have been very impressed by the quality of recent budget speakers in my secundary systems.

Euphonious

I acquired my pair of IL60s new in 2004. Still my main speakers they haven't moved in 15 years and have performed flawlessly all this time. I believe they were designed by Alan Devantier, a colleague of Dr. Toole, and they compared quite favorably with the TOTL Prelude which was introduced at around the same time. Best purchase I ever made, bar none. If the subwoofer amp is functional I believe a used pair of IL60s is a steal at any price. Especially if the RABOS kit is included.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The AR holographic imaging series. They've got rubber surrounds so no deterioration. Although some models have foam surround woofers inside. They're ugly as sin, and tilted backwards, so usually sell for cheap. I've owned m1, m2, and m3. Still kicking myself for being beat to a pair of m4 last month on offerup for $80. Bonus, PE has nos tweeters in stock. Crossovers are simple, usually only a cap.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/acoustic-research-m4-61.html

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am intrigued by Roy Allison's model 3 - which was designed to be placed in a corner.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am intrigued by Roy Allison's model 3 - which was designed to be placed in a corner.
Pair of Allison Ones here -- they were (heck, are) pretty impressive. Allison (who just died a couple of years ago -- one of the last of the AR legacy) focused on building loudspeakers that would work in normal home environments.

1582229022443.png

I've had the best of intentions of setting up a 'seventies hifi' wall upstairs with my Allison Ones... but that ain't happened to date. ;)

DSC_5795a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I don't ever recall hearing the Threes.

1582229823219.png

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...ies_brochure_2/allison_one_series_brochure_2/

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My introduction to excellent measuring speakers purchasing them after reading the review of their baby brother in the audio critic about 20 years ago. Still use them in my master bedroom system equalized with ARC. Used to own their equally great measuring and better styled cousins the intermezzo 4.1ts (reviewed in TAC) but they got damaged when I moved.

Here is the 4.1t review by Don Keele in TAC:
https://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/mags/The_Audio_Critic_28_r.pdf

Is anyone else having trouble with this link? I'd love to hear what Don Keele thought of these speakers back in the day...

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
A lot of the newer Infinity speakers for sale at JBL website are Revel challenging bargains. Spinorama measurements available on many of them.

Reactions: wje
Top Bottom