• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Less time on ASR for the foreseeable future

MRC01

Major Contributor
My wonderful Dad (John Sr) is about to turn 90 years old and I was about to organise a flight alongside a WW2 Spitfire for his birthday in about 4 weeks. Or a USAF P42 Mustang. A WW2 kid, he loves Spitfires and USAF planes and grew up during WW2. That isn't going to happen.

He's had a bit of an 'episode' and is now in hospital. Not a stroke or heart attack, a bit of a mystery actually. ...
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like he's an aviation nut. Australia has vibrant general aviation, and you can likely find a local pilot willing to take him on a scenic flight (just for fun, free of charge). Not as exciting as a vintage warbird but something he will probably love anyway. Groups like AOPA and EAA can get you in touch with a local chapter who can arrange things.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Went through a similar thing with our mom, now 96 and doing well. Glad to hear you still have both parents and can accommodate them in your home. I'm sure they will have a great sound system down stairs. Good luck and chime in to ASR when you get a chance. I'm sure I speak for many, your your advice, humor and civil demeanor are highly sought after commodities around here.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My wonderful Dad (John Sr) is about to turn 90 years old and I was about to organise a flight alongside a WW2 Spitfire for his birthday in about 4 weeks. Or a USAF P42 Mustang. A WW2 kid, he loves Spitfires and USAF planes and grew up during WW2. That isn't going to happen.

He's had a bit of an 'episode' and is now in hospital. Not a stroke or heart attack, a bit of a mystery actually. Hopefully I should be driving him (and my wonderful mother) home soon (he's a doctor and hates being in hospital), but I will be spending some time re-arranging the bottom floor of their house so he (they) can live downstairs and not have him climbing the staircase mutiple times a day. I'll have an internal lift installed as it's long overdue and I've been vocal about expediting this for a number of years. I want my parents to be able to stay in their home for as long as they want.

Luckily, they are both retired medical professionals, so I don't have to fight acceptance too much...

So I may be away from ASR for a bit, and not respond in a timely manner to PMs or replies.

Cheers guys.

John

What a fine son! Your dad is lucky.

Best wishes for your dad's recovery!

(This was a timely post: just last night my wonderful 89 year old father-in-law phoned us because he was having mild chest pains. Got him to ER, turned out he was having a significant heart attack! Stents were put in almost immediately so looking good...)

I always enjoy your posts John so I hope you are back soon.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

He's had a bit of an 'episode' and is now in hospital. Not a stroke or heart attack, a bit of a mystery actually. Hopefully I should be driving him (and my wonderful mother) home soon (he's a doctor and hates being in hospital), but I will be spending some time re-arranging the bottom floor of their house so he (they) can live downstairs and not have him climbing the staircase mutiple times a day. I'll have an internal lift installed as it's long overdue and I've been vocal about expediting this for a number of years. I want my parents to be able to stay in their home for as long as they want.

Luckily, they are both retired medical professionals, so I don't have to fight acceptance too much...

So I may be away from ASR for a bit, and not respond in a timely manner to PMs or replies.

Cheers guys.

John
Best wishes to you and your parents. I hope your Dad makes a full (or as full as possible) recovery.

By conincidence I'll be giving the eulogy for my uncle next week. It will include references to ww2 fighter planes, including the spitfire. He was a big fan also.

We'll keep your seat warm for you, for when you get back.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Repeating what everyone has said, all the best to your parents. It is wonderful to see you take care of them. Mine have passed but I do think about when I get to that age. We will definitely miss you around here....

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Best thoughts and positive vibes sent your way. I’ve very recently found myself in a very similar situation, we brought dad home from hospital last Friday. It’s really painful to see the decline happen before your eyes. John, Im really glad that you’re looking out for your parents instead of just putting them in a “facility.” I know my dad appreciates it, even though he can no longer communicate with anyone.

Just remember to think about, and care take of yourself— It can be exhausting in many senses of the word.

All the best brotha, looking forward to those witty, insightful, informative, and acerbic

Moonhead

Your post are a blast.
Speedy recovery to Your dad.

D

Deleted member 48726

Best of wishes and good recovery for your old ones. Nothing like doing some manual labor to set your thoughts and mind free.

fatoldgit

Even though you are an Aussie, I still wish you all the best over the next few weeks.

Sending good vibes to you from across The Ditch.

Peter

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thank you for all your kind thoughts and comments. Very much appreciated. Just logged back into ASR today to see them all. :)

My Dad is doing well and back home in the great care of my mum. What the long term implications will be is unsure, but things are definitely much better than first thought.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
(This was a timely post: just last night my wonderful 89 year old father-in-law phoned us because he was having mild chest pains. Got him to ER, turned out he was having a significant heart attack! Stents were put in almost immediately so looking good...)

Wow. That was lucky for sure.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for all your kind thoughts and comments. Very much appreciated. Just logged back into ASR today to see them all. :)

My Dad is doing well and back home in the great care of my mum. What the long term implications will be is unsure, but things are definitely much better than first thought.
Great news, thanks for the update! Best wishes to all of you.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
’m traveling to celebrate my father’s 90th this coming weekend. He always had nice audio gear. Started my interest in audio and diy audio. Helped him with Heathkit audio projects in the 1960s and early 70s. My mother tossed the Garrard 301 turntable and Heathkit mono sound system once the Dual 1219, Heathkit receiver, original KLH5s and Sony reel to reel came into the house. Those things are worth a fortune now! If we’d only known! He can’t hear well and not at all out of one ear but still plays classical music and opera on the TV now and is still taken away by the music.

Congratulations to your Dad for hitting 90! It's really amazing for you and your family. I hope the celebrations went well. My father too, is a classical aficionado. So cool you helped your Dad in the 60s with Heathkit builds- my Dad never went DIY, he bought a soldering iron once, and never used it. I begged for it for a good year or so, until he caved in and gave it to me as a birthday present IIRC.

It's the HiFi that has kept my father and I close. We share a lifelong interest which I think we've both deliberately cultivated to have something in common for so long.

I've tried to get Dad into classical concerts on the TV, given him a pile of DVDs, but it's just not his thing. TV and HiFi are separate. One is serious, the other is light entertainment to him. :)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Just logged back into ASR today to see them all. :)
Hey mate;

welcome-back-kotter-dance.gif
:cool:
My Dad is doing well and back home in the great care of my mum.
Good to hear. :)

JSmith

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I am glad to see that. (as I am sure that many others are also).

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Being late to this thread it is a relief to have you back on ASR and that your Dad seems to have recovered. ASR is not the same without your contribution....

Top Bottom