• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Less time on ASR for the foreseeable future

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My wonderful Dad (John Sr) is about to turn 90 years old and I was about to organise a flight alongside a WW2 Spitfire for his birthday in about 4 weeks. Or a USAF P42 Mustang. A WW2 kid, he loves Spitfires and USAF planes and grew up during WW2. That isn't going to happen.

He's had a bit of an 'episode' and is now in hospital. Not a stroke or heart attack, a bit of a mystery actually. Hopefully I should be driving him (and my wonderful mother) home soon (he's a doctor and hates being in hospital), but I will be spending some time re-arranging the bottom floor of their house so he (they) can live downstairs and not have him climbing the staircase mutiple times a day. I'll have an internal lift installed as it's long overdue and I've been vocal about expediting this for a number of years. I want my parents to be able to stay in their home for as long as they want.

Luckily, they are both retired medical professionals, so I don't have to fight acceptance too much...

So I may be away from ASR for a bit, and not respond in a timely manner to PMs or replies.

Cheers guys.

John

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You will be missed, I wish the very best for your parents,
Best,
Keith

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wow, I hope he's OK @restorer-john ! We went through this some years ago with our parents and it was a very tough time. Up and down... Infections were often the culprit though my dad had a bad heart. My prayers for you and yours - Don

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My wonderful Dad (John Sr) is about to turn 90 years old and I was about to organise a flight alongside a WW2 Spitfire for his birthday in about 4 weeks. Or a USAF P42 Mustang. A WW2 kid, he loves Spitfires and USAF planes and grew up during WW2. That isn't going to happen.

He's had a bit of an 'episode' and is now in hospital. Not a stroke or heart attack, a bit of a mystery actually. Hopefully I should be driving him (and my wonderful mother) home soon (he's a doctor and hates being in hospital), but I will be spending some time re-arranging the bottom floor of their house so he (they) can live downstairs and not have him climbing the staircase mutiple times a day. I'll have an internal lift installed as it's long overdue and I've been vocal about expediting this for a number of years. I want my parents to be able to stay in their home for as long as they want.

Luckily, they are both retired medical professionals, so I don't have to fight acceptance too much...

So I may be away from ASR for a bit, and not respond in a timely manner to PMs or replies.

Cheers guys.

John
Godspeed to you and to your parents, John!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been through this not long ago. Glad you are there to assist and care for him.

Your contribution here is always valuable and will be missed. But hopefully you will get things arranged leaving some time for ASR. Hoping they figure out what is wrong with your father and improve his condition.

Take care.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, best wishes for them in their situation. You are so lucky that your folks are medical professionals and still competent. My mom was definitely not a medical professional, but she was a volunteer at the hospital in our town from the day it opened until she couldn't be there due to complications from hip and knee replacement (which resulted in the stair lift being installed.) She then turned to doing phone recruitment for new volunteers. Total service of 35+ years, during which the hospital built a complete senior care site from independent living through nursing home, where she insisted they would move when they could no longer be safe in their own home. Unfortunately, dementia set in rapidly, and her tune changed to "I will die in this home and no one will change my mind!" when it was clear they were no longer capable of maintaining the place. I don't wish that following year or two on anyone before we moved them (her literally kicking and screaming) into a senior care facility.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Best wishes to you and your parents. I lost both mine when in their early seventies, so congrats to them for making their late 80's at least and long may they be around for you!

Zensō

Major Contributor

Cheers guys.

John
John,

We lost my dad last year at 97, and my mom is 94 and still living on her own just around the corner from us. It’s been a challenging, but rewarding, experience caring for them over the past decade or so. You’re doing a great thing and I wish you and your family all the best.

We’ll be sure to stoke the fire here while you’re gone. I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say we’re all looking forward to your return.

Regards,
Alan

Top Bottom