• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Large TV 77” and large center channel 14” height

geek101

Forum Donor
Right now there is barely space for a 55” TV that I use. I do not enjoy straining my neck so not good to put TV much higher.

Dropping the speaker down and tilting up is one option but it is fun to lower the tweeter level significantly compared to LR speakers.

Cannot pursue projector route for now.

I am looking for some pointers and practical advice. I am considering getting a slimmer center channel (measured well ofcourse).

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
You can put it below or above the TV.
Or run Phantom.

Those are pretty much the options. ;)

What Speakers are you using across the Front?

How high is too high for the TV?

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a similar situation (although my centre isn't quite 14" high) and opted for centre below the tv. I find it to be very satisfactory. Some points to note...

The tweeter of my centre speaker is at the top of its cabinet - this means it is as close as possible to the bottom of the tv. (I don't have any sensation that voices are coming from below the person on screen). The vertical centre of the tv is roughly in line with all other floor level tweeters (at ear level).

The center is angled up - pointing directly at the main listening position. The listening position is quite far-field meaning that any vertical directivity issues due to the tweeter being above the woofer should be smoothed out.

I have a coffee table between the mlp and tv - this isn't ideal. If too many items are on the table it does seem to worsten the sound (at least that is my perception).

My centre speaker is inside the cabinet on which the tv sits. I have put acoustic foam behind and around the centre speaker. I experimented with flush mounting it using the foam (in a sort of infinite baffle setup) but found that I prefered just having the front of the speaker slighly proud of the tv cabinet.

Photo here (some changes made since then, don't think the centre is angled up in that photo, but you get the idea).

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
ikea_lack_tv_benchconsole_tabl_1658617124_0eba9348_progressive.jpg

I'm using this stand for both my 55" and 42" tv (bought 2 stands). For the 55" almost occupies the stand...if I upgrade to 65"...pretty sure the screen will be end to end of the stand or slightly over it. My center speaker cannot be too high... around 5.5" or less in height.

OP
geek101

geek101

Forum Donor
You can put it below or above the TV.
Or run Phantom.

Those are pretty much the options. ;)

What Speakers are you using across the Front?

How high is too high for the TV?
Legacy Aeris. I would like the center of tv to be at eye level.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
MTM type centers are not really good. Narrow dispersion horizontally. Some have a vertical tweeter and midrange with woofers to each side and have better directional coverage left and right.

So what kind of budget do you have in mind and how large a room?

A JBL LSR 306 mk II is 14.2 inches tall. It is an active monitor style speaker. I use a LSR 308 for my center and it works out pretty well. Has good coverage right and left of center. Sits below the screen and is angled to put the tweeter on axis at ear height for my sofa.

You could use similar monitor style speakers for a center. Depends upon your room size and other needs. Maybe a Neumann if it fits the budget. Or some of the designed centers.

I mention and have pictures of some others that have good horizontal coverage in this post.

The Revel C208 is 12 inches tall. The others pictured are a bit shorter.

Last edited:
OP
geek101

geek101

Forum Donor
MTM type centers are not really good. Narrow dispersion horizontally. Some have a vertical tweeter and midrange with woofers to each side and have better directional coverage left and right.

So what kind of budget do you have in mind and how large a room?

A JBL LSR 306 mk II is 14.2 inches tall. It is an active monitor style speaker. I use a LSR 308 for my center and it works out pretty well. Has good coverage right and left of center. Sits below the screen and is angled to put the tweeter on axis at ear height for my sofa.

You could use similar monitor style speakers for a center. Depends upon your room size and other needs. Maybe a Neumann if it fits the budget. Or some of the designed centers.

I mention and have pictures of some others that have good horizontal coverage in this post.

The Revel C208 is 12 inches tall. The others pictured are a bit shorter.
I have this center channel: https://legacyaudio.com/products/view/marquis-xd-center-speaker

I do think kef center channel with coaxial design gives good dispersion and also it is not very tall. Significantly less expensive compared to center I have. I do not want to put my center very low.

My room is 24x24 feet but I sit 12 feet from my TV now and center is 11 feet away.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I have this center channel: https://legacyaudio.com/products/view/marquis-xd-center-speaker

I do think kef center channel with coaxial design gives good dispersion and also it is not very tall. Significantly less expensive compared to center I have. I do not want to put my center very low.

My room is 24x24 feet but I sit 12 feet from my TV now and center is 11 feet away.
You are insisting on having your cake and eating it! ;)
Respectfully, you have to make a compromise in your setup... There just isn't another way to do it.

I'm about 8' from my mains and 9' from my screen. Bottom of my screen is 44" H and above an upright 3-way Monitor Speaker. My center Tweet is a little bit low compared to my mains right now. When I upgrade my TV to a larger size I may also be moving my equipment out from below and putting that Monitor on a a lightly shorter stand than the rack it is on, but my TV will still be high, and the Tweet will end up lower by several more inches.
Even when I had it horizontal and it was much lower, the sound field was still believable.

For me, it's not a problem. I get you have your desires, but I wouldn't get rid of your Center over this... It is a created problem, not a real one.

There really is nothing wrong with lowering your Center. Especially at the distance you are sitting. Aim it at your shoulders and you will be well within its dispersion.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me, I think TV too high is a much worse compromise than centre too low.

Having the visual cue of a person speaking on tv tricks your brain into thinking that the sound is coming from there anyway.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Here is the review and measurement of the Kef 4C center. Good dispersion left to right and equally good top to bottom which is pretty much only available with coaxial drivers. So might be a very good fit. It is only 8.1 inches tall, has good power handling and low distortion. Should be a good fit for your needs.

OP
geek101

geek101

Forum Donor

Here is the review and measurement of the Kef 4C center. Good dispersion left to right and equally good top to bottom which is pretty much only available with coaxial drivers. So might be a very good fit. It is only 8.1 inches tall, has good power handling and low distortion. Should be a good fit for your needs.
Looks nice but I would like something that is optimized for cost also.

Top Bottom