• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Koss KPH40 headphones and Zero 2 IEMs. How can such inexpensive items sound so good?

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just added some Yaxi pads to my Koss KPH40s which I have had for a while. Listening with them tonight. I think I paid $35 for them on sale and $12 for the Yaxi pads.

They sound great. I mean even in comparison to the Sennheiser HD800 S or the HD650, both of which cost a lot more.

The same goes for the Zero 2 IEMs. The only other IEMs I have are the Sennheiser IE200s. $25 vs $125. I could not pick a winner between them.

Don't judge things based on price only. The HD800 S does sound "wider" and probably a little more "detailed", but really doesn't sound $$$$ better.

delta76

Major Contributor
How - not sure about Koss, but Zero 2 is optimized based on Harman curve which is the preferred curve for majority.
An IEM can be produced very cheaply, especially if you don't want exotic materials, luxurious finishes and casing, and of course huge mark up for the manufacturer and retailer network.
Zero 2 was probably made less than $10

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Koss makes good sounding and cheap on-ears.
They are rather limited in max. SPL and are rolled-off in the sub-lows but are really 'smooth' in response from 50Hz to 4kHz.

A good alternative for people on a budget that don't like shoving in their their earwax a bit deeper or hate the feeling of pressure in their ear canals.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Koss makes good sounding and cheap on-ears.
They are rather limited in max. SPL and are rolled-off in the sub-lows.

A good alternative for people on a budget that don't like shoving in their their earwax a bit deeper or hate the feeling of pressure in their ear canals.

They are plenty loud and don't seem to be rolled off in the bass at all. Without EQ, the bass response is better than the HD800 S without sounding muddy.

Regardless of budget, I would be comfortable recommending these to anyone asking about wired headphones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Bass response also depends on how well they seal on the ear (so the shape of the pinna)

compar-ksc75.gif

Below its biggest issue (for those wanting Harman bass). (Note this is the current KSC75) measured at 90dB SPL

dist-ksc75-new-90db.png

and they love to reproduce 4kHz..

csd-75.png

That said... I really like the sound and when they are put on quickly sound 'correct'. Only on direct comparison and when using Harman based EQ (I don't need it) at 'active listening levels' they fall flat on their face compared to other headphones.

Very nice for lower to normal listening levels even without EQ, directly from a phone. Certainly recommended.

Last edited:
OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Bass response also depends on how well they seal on the ear (so the shape of the pinna)

compar-ksc75.gif

Below its biggest issue (for those wanting Harman bass). (Note this is the current KSC75) measured at 90dB SPL

dist-ksc75-new-90db.png

and they love to reproduce 4kHz..

csd-75.png

That said... I really like the sound and when they are put on quickly sound 'correct'. Only on direct comparison and when using Harman based EQ (I don't need it) at 'active listening levels' they fall flat on their face compared to other headphones.

Very nice for lower to normal listening levels even without EQ, directly from a phone. Certainly recommended.

I replaced the default ear pads today with Yaxi pads. That probably improved the fit and allowed them to sound better.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They will change the sound and comfort a little.
I don't have Yaxi pads but did fit some other pads. The horrible bass boosted ones are all pleather pads being sold as an 'improvement' on Ali-Express.

4-different-pads-ksc7x.png

red = stock KSC75, purple is Chinese 'replacement' pad for Koss thingies.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
KPH40.jpg

Below KPH30i with various seals (different earpad size/shape)
leakage.png

Notice the 'smooth' response all the way up to a few kHz. It is what makes the Koss thingies sound good and 'natural' IMO. A bit HD650-ish (plot below) for lows and mids but for a fraction of the price.

fr-hd650.png

Last edited:

Merkurio

It's funny, you just named the only two headphones I have today for music and/or entertainment purposes (the Zero 2 I use every day with the Qudelix-5K and the KPH40 when I'm sitting at my desk and want a more "over-ear" experience with the Qudelix-T71).

And yes, the KPH40 are incredible with Yaxi pads and a bit of EQ (in my case, with oratory1990's preset and some slight personal adjustments). I had a pair of Focal Clear simultaneously that I sold to a friend shortly after, and the sonic differences between them for practical purposes were so insignificant to my taste (both with EQ) that I definitely considered never giving up the lightness and comfort of these Koss for a comparatively trivial improvement in sound.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
View attachment 367878

Below KPH30i with various seals (different earpad size/shape)
leakage.png

Notice the 'smooth' response all the way up to a few kHz. It is what makes the Koss thingies sound good and 'natural' IMO. A bit HD650-ish (plot below) for lows and mids but for a fraction of the price.

fr-hd650.png

Something that surprised me. I ordered some Koss Porta Pros to see how they compared. I had read that they used the same drivers, but the Porta Pros (with the same Yaxi pads) sound a little "muddy" compared to the KPH40. I was expecting them to sound the same and just have a slightly better headband.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
It's funny, you just named the only two headphones I have today for music and/or entertainment purposes (the Zero 2 I use every day with the Qudelix-5K and the KPH40 when I'm sitting at my desk and want a more "over-ear" experience with the Qudelix-T71).

And yes, the KPH40 are incredible with Yaxi pads and a bit of EQ (in my case, with oratory1990's preset and some slight personal adjustments). I had a pair of Focal Clear simultaneously that I sold to a friend shortly after, and the sonic differences between them for practical purposes were so insignificant to my taste (both with EQ) that I definitely considered never giving up the lightness and comfort of these Koss for a comparatively trivial improvement in sound.

Best bang for the buck for sure with both of them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
With the KPH40 Koss finally listened to Koss fans who fitted KSC35/75 drivers to a cheap/simple headband instead of the complicated PortaPro headband.

I hated the 'hook' of the Portapro which poked in the top of my pinna. Grinded it off. The KPH40 headband seems better.

Next iteration with removable cable please. Had to replace/shorten a broken cable twice.
Oh... and longer lasting pads... replaced the original ones a lot. Hopefully the Yaxi pads last longer.

Last edited:
OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
With the KPH40 Koss finally listened to Koss fans who fitted KSC35/75 drivers to a cheap/simple headband instead of the complicated PortaPro headband.

I hated the 'hook' of the Portapro which poked in the top of my pinna. Grinded it off. The KPH40 headband seems better.

Next iteration with removable cable please. Had to replace/shorten a broken cable twice.
Oh... and longer lasting pads... replaced the original ones a lot. Hopefully the Yaxi pads last longer.

I agree. There is no benefit to the Porta Pro design over the KPH40. I'll be giving the Porta Pros away to a friend and keeping the KPH40.

The Yaxi pads seem to be better quality than the default pads. Koss should just raise their price a bit and use Yaxi pads.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How - not sure about Koss, but Zero 2 is optimized based on Harman curve which is the preferred curve for majority.
An IEM can be produced very cheaply, especially if you don't want exotic materials, luxurious finishes and casing, and of course huge mark up for the manufacturer and retailer network.
Zero 2 was probably made less than $10
Which Harman preference curve, what majority? They didn't do tone controls transition properly initially nor to this day and now we are beginning to have a lot more data on impact of ear chenel and pina it self (mid/uper highs) including from Olive and how both originally used or recommend now HATS are still far from real ears in highs. SPL whose relatively low, mid 70's or so which explains the preference of most listeners to dial in more bass (with bad done controls in the first place) as equal loudness compensation. Harman preference curve is a worst joke ever and it played worse around with IEM's.

The Creative Aurvana Air remain my favourite on the go (especially doing summer) earbuds, least heat and all do hard to fit properly they stay at their place for normal activities. By design the earbuds or on the ear can't have really deep low bass or sub bass similar to open back over ear ones, IEM's and closed back's can thanks to seal but they heat much more, have shell refractions and generally are more thin (don't want to talk about sound stage with earphones/headphones in the first place as it's laughable and unnatural compared to speakers and room).

Last edited:

SteveL

I just bought an Ety ER2XR for $100 after my 13 year old HF5 died (I paid $120 back then) because I need the isolation when the window is open and people are mowing etc. With a touch of EQ it sounds just as good as my mildly EQd Salnotes Zero- which is 1/5 the price. :( Well, I guess isolation and nicer materials are worth something. But exotic and/or multiple drivers are definitely not required for an excellent sounding IEM.

InfiniteJester

I have had both and I think that both suck.

HE400SE and MP145 are the two items that blow my mind for the price.

Kefine Delci can be bought for 40€ and it is not just much better than the Zero:2, but much better than the stupid Kiwi Ears Quintet that has cost me 200€ more.

Top Bottom