• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 325753
I really tried to confine her collection to the kitty-litter powder-room but they seem to have taken asylum in her soho, as well.:facepalm:
Thank you!

I love life when I meet someone with a collecting passion.

I have a friend whose wife has that same sort of passion of "WKWUs" (White knob wind ups!)

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Knifemaking is 10/10 interesting!

I don't forge, but I am a solid solid Forged in Fire addict.

I admire y'all's skill at knifemaking.

My favorite kitchen toy is a Horl sharpening kits because a klutz like me can get a good edge....working through the three different sharpening discs is kind of relaxing, too.

(I like Knife or Death, too.)
Do you like that Horl thing? My brother sent me one. Interested in others' experience. Thanks.

ta240

Major Contributor
California is much envied and imitated.... for all the wrong reasons.:rolleyes:

Benchmade - that is out of Oregon - would not ship their auto-knives to Californians.:mad:
wink, wink!
In many areas of CA a carrying a 3" or larger folding blade can be a felony if the officer wants it to be. I see so many great knives that I just can't have here. I guess most manufactures don't want to do 2 7/8" blades because then when people searched for 3" or longer theirs wouldn't show up. I shortened my current knife blade on a grinder to get it under that limit but wouldn't want to do that with an expensive or harder blade.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In many areas of CA a carrying a 3" or larger folding blade can be a felony if the officer wants it to be.
The exact statement by the OrangeCounty District Attorney was along the lines that "...since the CA [pocket knife] law is not specific enough, it is best to not carry one...". This was after a news release (circa mid-1990s) about an 18-year old locked-up for 6 months for possession of a 'small' pocket knife... he was immediately released w/dropped charges.
oooops... sorry!

ta240

Major Contributor
That is the other thing I ran into, the laws can be pretty vague and each county and city has their own version. To make it even worse the cops often don't know the law; they just know what someone told them or what they heard. I know a guy that got told by a cop that his knife with a flipper to open was a switchblade. I carry a copy of the law that says they are not switchblades; but with the wrong cop that might not even help.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you like that Horl thing? My brother sent me one. Interested in others' experience. Thanks.
I enjoy it!

It's easier than a proper 'stone' and gets my edges way sharp.

I think it's a bit pricey but would buy it again.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always been tempted to bid on 'seized' TSA pocket knife auctions...
202311_BulkKnives.jpg

If you hurry, this lot is currently running at a bid of $75USD....

ta240

Major Contributor
That is a lot of box cutters. How do so many people forget they have box cutters with them?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a lot of box cutters. How do so many people forget they have box cutters with them?
That may be from 50,000 people. I can see workers or others forgetting a box cutter in carry on luggage or even their pocket. I went to Federal Jury duty and forgot I had a knife on me. Was an everyday carry and I just didn't notice. They let me seal it in an envelope and leave with the officers at the door. Of course I walked into the kitchen/break room and there was a complete set of large kitchen knives that dwarfed what I was carrying. Security theater anyone? Anyone seen Silence of the Lambs? Why do they let people continue to use pens in a courthouse?

I'd probably buy that box for $75. Enough boxcutters to keep a few, and give a few to other people.

ta240

Major Contributor
Thank you @digitalfrost, a very nice Thread and I am surprised that I didn't find it earlier.

Gawd! I probably have more sharpeners than most people have EDCs. But my latest darling is this one. By far and for $70 (to start).
View attachment 237443

Work Sharp "Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener" << HomePage
How does it work for longer kitchen knives? Do you reposition the knife to keep the angle the same at the end or does it do okay with it locked in just once?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Do you have a favorite knife steel?
Do you mean for sharpening or steel grade type?

If the former I use these:

If the latter, I like several types of knife steel. One of my favorites for holding an edge and ease of resharpening:

For a more corrosive resistant, and edge retention steel CPM 154 Steel is another option but it tends to be more expensive. Trade offs it takes more work to resharpen but holds the edge longer. In a Marine environment I would go with CPM 154.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd probably buy that box for $75. Enough boxcutters to keep a few, and give a few to other people.
I've always been tempted to bid on 'seized' TSA pocket knife auctions...
In the early days of TSA' creation, there were some excellent auction 'deals'. Such airport confiscations were not as monetized nor travelers as aware, as today.:)
Paying $100 for a boxful of these may have yielded a few good ones... but not no moh!:confused:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really tried to confine her collection to the kitty-litter powder-room but they seem to have taken asylum in her soho, as well.:facepalm:
Please don't give me "likes" for that requested reply photo above... that I am embarrassed about!:facepalm:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a favorite knife steel?
I had posted 4 graphs about knife metallurgy on post #109.
It may be best to own a variety knives with different cutting edge metallurgy, for different types of cutting needs.

ADD: If I am not mistaken, the different blade alloys require different 'edge-angles' and the manufacturers know best. When you must realign the edge crystals via sharpening, it is best to NOT change that edge-angle. I have zero sous-chef education, so I prefer to use a sharpener, which can allow fine and accurate angle adjustment to fit the blade at hand!

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How does it work for longer kitchen knives? Do you reposition the knife to keep the angle the same at the end or does it do okay with it locked in just once?
I don't own any samurai-size kitchen knives but the longest (~20cm) in inventory (not this one) requires no repositioning.
202311_WorkSharp.jpg

[Thank you for forcing giving me a reason to sharpen a few knives in the kitchen to keep peace in the house.]

Top Bottom