• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean for sharpening or steel grade type?

If the former I use these:

If the latter, I like several types of knife steel. One of my favorites for holding an edge and ease of resharpening:

For a more corrosive resistant, and edge retention steel CPM 154 Steel is another option but it tends to be more expensive. Trade offs it takes more work to resharpen but holds the edge longer. In a Marine environment I would go with CPM 154.
Nice! I’m an amateur when it comes to knowing what’s what but I like carrying a knife and just started researching the MagnaCut. Seems new but maybe it’s been out awhile.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did you already post pictures of these?
they are among those on the board of knives I posted earlier. I think there are only a couple. As others have noted, Magnacut is relatively new but many knife makers are going to it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few magnacut knives. Fantastic knife steel.
Thanx for the wake-up call!
I was really hoping that my days of buying newer and newer knives had finally ended... but noooooooo!
202311_KnifeMagnaCutChem.jpg
link
I guess aliexpress had heard about MagnaCut way before I did; as there are a bunch advertised magnacut knives at slave-labor prices, as usual.
But there is no way of really knowing if it is WYSIWYG... or more like if it really is WYGIWYS?:(

goryu

Spyderco has a preorder Manix in magnacut coming out soon. Manix is one of my favs and can't wait for the magnacut version!

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
There are loads of Magnacut knives out there, particularly in the US. The steel has been available for about a year and a half and is very popular with makers. it's a great steel.

goryu

Hot steel in Japan in recent years is HAP40.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No leathercraft thread, so posting on an adjacent thread seeing as knife guys are often knife sheath guys too. Amazing work by this Frenchman in the countryside:

Fully intend to commission a satchel from him.

Top Bottom