• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch Heritage The Fifteen Wireless

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's a new active from Klipsch that may have some interesting possibilities?
Built in 24/192 DAC with flexible input choices (USB, optical-digital, Bluetooth, as well as analog Phono and line-level inputs) Paired with some DSP control the final results might be interesting. Shown but not demo'd at CES and still not on Klipsch website guess it's still in development though article states a MSRP of $3,000 the pair.
A poor mans M2?
http://www.avsforum.com/best-of-ces-klipsch-heritage-wireless-the-fifteen-2-way-15-active-speakers/
The-Fifteen-with-Grill.jpg

Last edited:

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd like them better if they'd just have amps and crossovers in them.

That said, I used to own a pair of Heresy III's, and those things were probably the most entertaining speakers I've ever had. The "fun factor" was through the roof, so I wouldn't be surprised if The Fifteen's are great fun.

Also, Klipsch are apparently coming out with the Forte III this year, that makes me much more exited than these. (Could be worth it's own thread, perhaps?)

Last edited:

Dynamix

And I must admit, The Fifteen's look damn good. I love the retro thing they've got going.

Dynamix

Lol, I know. Don't think there's any DSP built in to these though.

That's why I said that I would rather they were just active speakers without all the Bluetooth/phono stage/DAC stuff. I'd rather have all that stuff in a pre-amp, run the pre through DSP (like a Minidsp Dirac or whatever), and then into the powered speakers.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Lol, I know. Don't think there's any DSP built in to these though.

That's why I said that I would rather they were just active speakers without all the Bluetooth/phono stage/DAC stuff. I'd rather have all that stuff in a pre-amp, run the pre through DSP (like a Minidsp Dirac or whatever), and then into the powered speakers.
Yep, there are a number of unanswered questions, the main being if the crossover is done digital or passive. Since they're not spec'ing different power amps I assume its a single 180 watt amp to a passive crossover. Another is does the analog input just get spliced directly into the power amp, or do they go to a ADC then to the DAC (RIAA eq done in the digital domain)? Some interesting stuff and possibility here. But it's only $3k a pair after all.
As to the preamp functions that could be good or bad depending on how well it's done but overall it could be handy.
Or you could do all you want at your end, then your digital source stream to the miniDSP box and then to the digital input.

Dang I still don't have room for big speakers. :(

Dynamix

Dang I still don't have room for big speakers. :(

Hey, that's no excuse. Haven't you seen those crazy Japanese guys with Altec VOTT's and Western Electrics it tiny paper-walled apartments? We need to man up! :D

Dynamix

Oh, and I'm just saying that without the DAC/phonostage/Bluetooth/coffeemaker/whatever, they'd be even cheaper. Like 2.5k or something.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems insanely cheap though, if indeed they are fully active and bi-amped. For comparison, the passive Klipsch Cornwall, which also has a 15 woofer, costs 4400 a pair. I struggle to believe that Klipsch could deliver a bi-amped active speaker with a beautiful wooden cabinet and a 15 woofer for 3000, given the pricing of the rest of their range. So my guess would be that they have passive crossovers and one cheap amp inside each cabinet.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This seems insanely cheap though, if indeed they are fully active and bi-amped. For comparison, the passive Klipsch Cornwall, which also has a 15 woofer, costs 4400 a pair. I struggle to believe that Klipsch could deliver a bi-amped active speaker with a beautiful wooden cabinet and a 15 woofer for 3000, given the pricing of the rest of their range. So my guess would be that they have passive crossovers and one cheap amp inside each cabinet.
I tend to agree but haven't found any further solid info.
wifihifi reports availability as late 2017 and states "Total rated power is 180 watts per channel" which might suggest otherwise? No pricing given.
http://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/CES2017:KLIPSCHADDSPOWEREDSPEAKERS.html
I'd love to see this grand old audio company gain some recognition in the industry.
Maybe they need to start spending some money on ads at the major media like the cable hustlers. ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

If JBL can fit a DSP crossover and Class D amp into a JBL LSR308 for $400/pair, I'm sure Klipsch can do the same for a speaker that costs $3000/pair.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If JBL can fit a DSP crossover and Class D amp into a JBL LSR308 for $400/pair, I'm sure Klipsch can do the same for a speaker that costs $3000/pair.
Good point.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Here's the JBL board:

upload_2017-1-18_13-23-42.png

Amplifier chip (with DSP) at top. 2 x 56W in the '308 implementation.

The other two are ADC and controller (think setup memory mostly)

The right side is power supply, not output.

The above is a 305 board, the 308 has a heat sink over the amp chip.

I opened one of mine, and that's what I saw.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's the JBL board:

Amplifier chip (with DSP) at top. 2 x 56W in the '308 implementation.

The other two are ADC and controller (think setup memory mostly)

The right side is power supply, not output.

The above is a 305 board, the 308 has a heat sink over the amp chip.

I opened one of mine, and that's what I saw.
I find the size reduction of all this to be just amazing.
Ray, approximately what is the size of that board?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ray, approximately what is the size of that board?

About 5x7 or 6x8

This is the 308 guts sitting (flipped over) on the back of the speaker cabinet - (16.5 in H x 10 in W x 12.1 in D). Actually, it is the back of the cabinet, thin sheet metal. See the screw holes on the edge.

JBL_LSR308_amp_modification.jpg

The foil stuff is part of the poster's anti-vibration mod - asphalt stuff. It didn't do anything, per his measurements. http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR308/

Heat sink on the amp chip is the white finned thing behind the capacitors.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch may not have Harman wherewithals

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The JBL 305/308 is probably the most bang for the buck there is in hifi.

But:
- I believe Klipsch manufactures in the US, unlike JBL. Which is cool I think (probably the only point of agreement between me and the president elect)
- JBL probably has very small margins on each unit sold of the 305/308, and makes up for it with scale. Klipsch probably needs a substantial margin on each unit sold, since they sell fewer units
- a low price point would undercut the rest of their offerings in that price range

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
About 5x7 or 6x8
This is the 308 guts sitting (flipped over) on the back of the speaker cabinet - (16.5 in H x 10 in W x 12.1 in D). Actually, it is the back of the cabinet, thin sheet metal. See the screw holes on the edge.
Thanks Ray,
Yes everything has gotten so much smaller over the years but it still amazes my how they can create 2x56 watt amps with so little.
I don't trust the dang things, might be a terrorist conspiracy. :eek:

Top Bottom