• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KLH Model 5 & Buchardt S400 mk1 or mk2 : Anyone heard both of these?

ethanhallbeyer

I know they are different but I'm interested both and wondering pros/cons of each. From what I gather, they both strike a good balance between providing good details, image, and soundstage, and are less brutal on poorer recordings. They both allow you to just enjoy the music rather than pick it apart. Both are about the same price. Both sealed designs. I believe both have 10 year warranties. Equipment pairing may be slightly easier with the S400 series but it shouldn't be too bad with the KLH.

I'm mostly interested in how the s400 (mk1 or mk2) imaging and width and depth of soundstage compare to the KLH Model Five.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are pretty different. Based on my experience with the Buchardts, and based on Erin's measurements of the KLH, and the fact that you don't want a speaker that's too analytical or has resonances, I'd go with S400. It will sound more natural than the KLH.

Last edited:
Top Bottom