• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
We are also attracting lots of Bad actors who want to come here and damage our credibility. Growing pains. Please help us maintain order and respectful environment.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are also attracting lots of Bad actors who want to come here and damage our credibility. Growing pains. Please help us maintain order and respectful environment.

Really?

Reactions: 617

Katji

Major Contributor
Something related, suggestion: Define "political post" rule more narrowly/rigorously, wipe them out. It would take too much time+energy to "micromanage" and judge it as threads develop. An example: that "best speakers which country" thread...the statement, of opinion, that "X was the best president", opens the way for someone to respond, like "No, he was the biggest liar" and so on. So, "just No."

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whoa! Wonder what's going on with those numbers.
When I visited them recently they had a restricted view of the reviews unless you have an account, which I didn't have and didn't bother to create one (at the time at least)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's leave the tribalism to idiots and have fun with data.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Something related, suggestion: Define "political post" rule more narrowly/rigorously, wipe them out. It would take too much time+energy to "micromanage" and judge it as threads develop. An example: that "best speakers which country" thread...the statement, of opinion, that "X was the best president", opens the way for someone to respond, like "No, he was the biggest liar" and so on. So, "just No."
That’s a hard nut to crack. Sometimes the wired titled threads produce constructive conversation and engagement. We try to be slow to react and rely upon our incredibly intelligent and astute Membership to Smoke them out for us. There are only two of us, and we do this task as volunteer. We have over a Thousand people visiting every day. 23K Members, 19 thousand + Threads and 3/4 million + Posts. We could never do this job without our Members pointing us towards the trouble makers. However, your point is noted and resonates with me. ;)

AdamG

Forum Donor
Lots of people come here to troll and when I look up their username they're talking smack about ASR on other websites. It's kind of sad to be honest.
Hi Maki,

Great idea. As noted in my above post, wish we had time to do this. But you do. If you would be so kind and when you discover this particular situation just start a pm with me and share what you have discovered. I can’t promise we will take action on every one, but I will respond and let you know what we did. We have to tread lightly here. If there exists adequate proof we will investigate further. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. Keep them coming…..:cool:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I haven't seen issues with this, but I agree with the premise.

Off topic threads are irrelevant and can be found elsewhere on the internet. Little need for a general discussion board but that can be tolerated... When it comes to politics and covid though, I'd rather leave those things on Facebook.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
with this forum not being run on ads/sponsorships but on donors and voluntary work from the admins, mods and Amir himself....i do ask myself what, if anything, those metrics should mean - besides bragging rights, maybe

i for myself prefer quality over quantity, the later being why i came here in the first place

Reactions: EJ3

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
with this forum not being run on ads/sponsorships but on donors and voluntary work from the admins, mods and Amir himself....i do ask myself what, if anything, those metrics should mean - besides bragging rights, maybe
It enables a lot of things. More visitors means more varied gear to test. I have one member who has sent me $13,000 in headphones to test alone! I am sitting on $50,000 worth of AV Processor if not more! More and more companies are talking us very seriously and sending gear, acting on what we find, etc. They are doing this because of the rise of our forum. If we had remained small, they would not even care or know who we were.

Long term I need to get companies to do this kind of testing themselves and publish it. That is not going to happen if we are a small fish in a large pond with the rest of the world have no use for measurements.

Lots of viewership and hence more donations also enables the high rate of reviews you see and massive capital investment in test gear.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There's only a couple of mountains left to conquer, so let's get Amir to review televisions and vacuum cleaners!!!
I don't know about vacuum cleaners but half of my career has been in video so we could easily do TV if we wanted.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about vacuum cleaners but half of my career has been in video so we could easily do TV if we wanted.
But measurements don’t tell you how something looks, we all see different.
:p

But seriously, I’d leave that to RTINGS. Televisions do actually do need to be run a bit when new (don’t wanna say ”burn-in“ as that means something else for tv), I forget the exact value but I think Jason Duval (ISF Level 3 calibrator) said about 100hr needed for the picture to stabilize. Not sure if RTINGS measures right off the bat or not.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I visited them recently they had a restricted view of the reviews unless you have an account, which I didn't have and didn't bother to create one (at the time at least)
TV/Headphone/PC Monitor reviews are viewable for free.

You get 3 views to their reviews to BT Speakers/Soundbars/Cameras/Keyboards/Mice/Printers/Vacuums/Blenders/

You need to pay $45/yr to gain unlimited access, you also get early access to reviews.

You can do their ranking/sorting tool for all categories though, which is nice of them to keep. I was in the market for a new, cheap printer, and after finding recommendations online I did check that RTINGS gave the model a good score (Brother J995). I don’t find their tests/parameters for camera reviews that great, and I think vacuums & blenders are better reviews in shootouts on YouTube, where usability and whatnot are large factors.

Last edited:

teched58

Please don't become like those other guys and become overactive apeshirt thread closers/banners. Many of us came here after leaving/getting thrown off the cable-lovers site, where the site owner spent his whole day complaining about lack of civility, when what he really meant was that the engineers who knew something about electronics were posting things that went crosswise with the nonsense pervaded by the superdads of the world.

Let's celebrate vigorous debate and leave know-nothingness to sites where the ethos is "throw away the corpus of knowledge developed over the last 200 years, especially Nyquist, which is just a 'theory' -- like evolution! -- and 'juss lizzen.' I'm looking at you, computeraudiophilestylegreenpencablerisers! Or maybe Stereophile (w the exception of JA1's measurements).

I'm an adult, and I welcome vigorous debate. All trolls are disagreeable but not all disagreement is trolling.

Top Bottom