• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kindly help suggest setup: DAC+Headphone AMP + a nice Headphone <1000 EUR

pompecukor

Dear Gurus,

I would kindly ask the help of experts for my first ever setup of such. I will not pretend to be an audiophile. Just appreciate nice, rich music like everyone else.
I have a budget of 500-1000EUR. I just cannot justify any more unless I had "absolute" hearing which I do not :facepalm: and never did.

My eyes a bulging from all the reviews that I have read in the past few days (mostly here, but a few others as-well). Anytime I felt I knew what I wanted. Then reading on to the next few post, I get completely disoriented again. I know how hard it is to be objecting on such a subjective mater. Especially in an industry that has some people spending thousands of dollars on cables only to get entirely debunked on blind A-B test. However here is hoping that there is a bit of "method in all the madness" so to speak.

My desire:
Closed: I need closed not because I will use is as portal, but because noise hurts my ears and my kids are always running around making noise. So it will be impossible for me to enjoy an open headphone when I can hear everything going on outside. Also I like bass. I understand closed had tighter bass(?).
I cannot get custom IEM locally (Hungary) that is why I am trying to stay away from that option. I know it would be great if I could have custom ear fit. That would insulate perfectly.
Comfort: My second highest priority is comfort. I sweat, with anything leather, Also I have a big round head. I prefer none leathery cans. I used to have (long time ago) DT770, those were comfortable.
Music: Rap, R&B, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Soul are mostly what I listen to. As I mentioned I appreciate bass and diversity. I like to hear the instruments in the music.

Source would be PC USB (on there I have both lossy and lossless) also considering to subscribe to Tidal.

Should I get something like Topping DX7 Pro + ??? Headphone

Or will it make more sense "result" wise to spend more on the headphone and get a cheaper DAC+headphone amp? Do most headphones even require and amp? I don't have to spend 1k on this. I just put it as a limit. If you think I will hear more or less the same thing with a DT770 80Ohm connected to a PC sound card as I would with a T5 connected the above or the M400 or even L30+D30, then let me know. Or shall I squeeze out a bit more and get a HIFIMAN....I am lost. Do I need MOQ? o_O:eek:

I just feel myself spinning round and round in circles. Help me stop. Thank you

OP
P

pompecukor

Do you know that some of the best custom IEMs are made in Poland? I realise that Poland is not Hungary! So maybe this doesn't help. But I thought I should mention it just in case Poland is close enough.

https://thecustomart.com/
I was not aware. Thank you. However I cannot travel there (it is far) just for a fit. I wish there was some way to get the "mold" done locally then send it to them or something. I will investigate.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just a guess here, maybe the E30 DAC, L30 amp, and Shure SRH1540 headphones. That's quite a guess on the headphones, I've not listened to them.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Just a guess here, maybe the E30 DAC, L30 amp, and Shure SRH1540 headphones. That's quite a guess on the headphones, I've not listened to them.
Shure SHR1540 have bass,but you have to have a big head or a wide face so that they fit tight,on a regular head the clamping force is not tight

OP
P

pompecukor

Thank you. It does look very comfy, but the whole "guess" thing is what I was trying to avoid.

OP
P

pompecukor

Do you know that some of the best custom IEMs are made in Poland? I realise that Poland is not Hungary! So maybe this doesn't help. But I thought I should mention it just in case Poland is close enough.

https://thecustomart.com/

So do you think something like this: https://thecustomart.com/fibae-7/
Would be better overall than a full size headphone? I just found on their site that they do have agents in Hungary (a chain) that can make the ear mold. Which is just awesome news.

Then again, I will still need a DAC, do IEM need headphone amps? Not sure how to understand the specs... Thanks again.
  • 113dB @1kHz @0.1V
  • 5.9 Ohm @1kHz (+-0.75 Ohm 10Hz-20kHz)

brimble

Forum Donor
So do you think something like this: https://thecustomart.com/fibae-7/
Would be better overall than a full size headphone? I just found on their site that they do have agents in Hungary (a chain) that can make the ear mold. Which is just awesome news.

Then again, I will still need a DAC, do IEM need headphone amps? Not sure how to understand the specs... Thanks again.
  • 113dB @1kHz @0.1V
  • 5.9 Ohm @1kHz (+-0.75 Ohm 10Hz-20kHz)

I'm not an expert on the different options (they have too many!), but the Fibae 2 has a surprisingly good frequency response. See https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/custom-art-fibae-2/ ... and if you're not sure how to interpret that then look up "Harman curve". See also https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/custom-art-fibae-7/

In my opinion it would not be better than a full-sized headphone, in terms of sound, when your house is quiet. But it would be almost as good, and

* SO comfortable (if not then you can ask them to re-make the ear molds), and

* much better when your house is noisy.

You wouldn't need a separate amp. These IEMs are very efficient.

Custom IEMs are always a risk because you can't hear them first, but I've had two pairs and I've been very happy with them.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping E30 + Topping L30 are just right for you IMHO. Total price 268 €.
As for the closed headphone PLUS non-leather pads, I'm not sure. If you like the Beyer sound, then stay with Beyer and get the best closed Beyer within your budget. However if you're willing to compromise on the pads, then lots of other closed choices with great bass become available : Meze 99 Classics, Monolith 1060C, Denon 5200 or 7200...
Too bad you can't use open or semi-closed headphones, you are missing on a lot of great stuff. But I understand.

Top Bottom