• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF speakers close to the wall

Danijel789

Hi,

After few years of using Marantz PM6006 with Dynaudio Emit M10 I decided for an upgrade. Because of room specifics I decided to go for Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 with room correction. I also liked their power user capabilities. When it comes to the choice of the speakers I narrowed it down to KEF R3 or LS-50 meta. Local audio store is having them both 25% off. R3's would have been my first choice if there is more space to the back wall, but there isn't. I'm afraid of low frequencies getting reflected which might result with "bassy" sound.

My question is what should I go with. R3's with inserted port plugs, LS50 meta plus additional subwoofer or something third?

In a case of subwoofer I was thinking to use Lyngdorf to cut off LH/HF.

Here is a recent photo of my living room:
20230129_233928.jpg

gumblag

I would, if I were you, put the speakers on some sound isolation (pads) to dampen the resonance of and sound colouring by the furniture they're placed on. Very effective I find the sound isolation solutions from Iso Accoustics, I use Iso Acoustics stands myself to separate my monitors from the desktop they are on. Not cheap, but boy very effective! Then listen to those speakers again and then decide whether you still need tot update those speakers. Iso Acoustics: https://isoacoustics.com/pro-audio-isolation-products/iso-stands/iso-130-isolation-stands/.
But to answer your question: I read in the manual of the Lyndorff that "Room perfect" will correct the sound even with bass ports at the back of the speakers. It is advised to place speakers with bass ports at the back at least 5 cm from the back wall. To "read'something about the acoustical properties of both speakers: I found the white papers: Kef Meta: https://assets.kef.com/pdf_doc/LS50Meta/KEF-LS50Meta-LS50WirelessII-WhitePaper.pdf
Kef R3: https://assets.kef.com/documents/rseries/rseries2018-white-paper.pdf.
After reading these you could listen to both of them to make up your mind. And a subwoofer? Ofcourse!

Last edited:
OP
D

Danijel789

Hi,

First of all thanks for help!
I took Lyngdorf and KEF R3 for test and it was pretty disappointing. Like those two didn't come along. Room perfect did its job where low frequencies were filtered. However, after reading a lot of reviews on Lyngdorf + R3 where people had amazing results, it simply wasn't the case for me. In other hand R3 did pretty well with Marantz, but I've had again problems with low frequencies. Out of curiosity I tried Lyngdorf with Dynaudio emit M10 and it was amazing. I hooked up B&W ASW608 and test it with both sets of speakers on Lyngdorf. R3 still sounded empty while Dynaudio was mindblowing experience. Guy in the store recommended to try Dynaudio Evoke or some of B&W bookshelf which will probably be my next choice. Do you have any opinions on it?

gumblag

Ofcourse it's all a matter of personal taste. Did you 'treat the room" as I suggested and then tested, or did you just test the setups in the room as is in the picture?
Also searching this website will give you some results. But then again you're the one who has to like the setup. You don't have to ingore 'the guy in the store' but the decision has to be yours based on your own findings not based on his opninions motivated by commission you don't know about.
Try and test as many speakers within your budget as you can and then decide. Good luck!

exm

Lyngdorf Will give outstanding results. If you aren’t happy with it, you might not have done the RP process properly. Did you follow the RP instructions?

As far as both speakers, not only is the R3 superior IMO but doesn’t both speakers have rear ports anyway? And if to plug it or not, that’s something you can experiment with. Honestly, I understand the concept of plugging ports but I don’t see the need, as in ever.

OP
D

Danijel789

@gumblag
Since I borrowed it from the store, I haven had the chance to try it. I'll stick to what I have for now and later I'll rearrange furniture in my living room. When there will be more space to the front wall, I expect to decrease issue with low frequencies. Also, speakers will be on the stands, not on the furniture. That should give them space to "breath".

@exm
Yes, I followed it many times with different setups and each time I got nearly to 100%. R3 has two port plugs. Having both of them plugged resulted in lack of LF while taking both out sounded like there was too much LFs. Putting just one port plug sounded like the perfect balance.

All in all, I think that R3 are serious, good sounding speakers. However, they didn't work for me. Once when my living room will be treated I would like to try R3 once more. There are high chances that my room is causing poor results and even with higher quality speakers I might not get what they have to offer.

maty

Major Contributor
In that room and so close to the walls, better plug the rear bass-reflex. Or try closed boxes, designed to be relatively close to walls like the ATC SCM 11. But they need a powerful amplifier.

If you keep the Marantz PM6006, I would continue with the Dynaudio Emit M10 but I would try to improve them internally if you listen to good music recordings, with great dynamic range, physical instruments, natural voices (without Autotune)... With EQ + rePhase -> convolucion filter.

index.php

maty

Major Contributor
index.php

Crispy sounding Dynaudio Emit M10
Dynaudio Emit M10 crossover.png

Dynaudio Emit M10 crossover 2.png

Last edited:
OP
D

Danijel789

Thanks a lot @maty! I wasn't aware there are such mods for dynaudios.
Having in mind that I will try to sell them, I would rather not mod them.

Buying a better amplifier could be an option even now. I am willing to spend around 2000 euros for something that should be sufficient for some time.
I'm confused when it gets to choosing the right amplifier. Rotel RA-1572 MKII seemed like the one, but while reading reviews looks there are better amps for the same money.
As you guessed, my music choice is usually physical instruments and genres are blues, rock, jazz and occasional classic.
Of course I would need to know which speakers will be used. At this point, I don't know. Guess that I'll have to narrow my choices to few of them and try different options.
Do you have any suggestions about the amps?

maty

Major Contributor

Attachments

• Magnat MA 900 inside.png
    Magnat MA 900 inside.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • magnat-ma-900-vollverstaerker-64455.jpg
    magnat-ma-900-vollverstaerker-64455.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 46
OP
D

Danijel789

Wow, hybrids are my boy dream! How do you like it? Which tubes do you use?

Recently I found this one and can't stop thinking about it:

Top Bottom