• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R Meta Series Release

Dilliw

The Reference 1 just has such better dynamics when you hear them side by side. The deader cabinet also changes the character of the sound. How do you measure dynamics?
Amplitude at a given frequency is of course important, but IME tends to be so room dependent unless you are sitting nearfield.
This is an interesting post!

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let's say we have a perfectly measuring loudspeaker. If that speaker will sound completely different to most people/reviewers, then what was the point of even bothering to measure it in the first place? :)
A perfectly measuring speaker with measure perfectly on any measuring gear. If it sounds “different” to different people, there is no point in listening to those opinions, because you cannot believe any of them. But again hear you can trust the measurements as it’s same for everyone.

goat76

Major Contributor
A perfectly measuring speaker with measure perfectly on any measuring gear. If it sounds “different” to different people, there is no point in listening to those opinions, because you cannot believe any of them. But again hear you can trust the measurements as it’s same for everyone.

Have you lost the plot? It's not me mistrusting every single subjective review, that’s your thing. :)

Don’t you see the problem in your belief of everyone hears a speaker in a completely different way? If that was the case there’s no point in measuring it either because everyone will hear it differently anyway.

Don’t you see the dilemma with your view that everyone hears the speaker differently, and that you because of that can never trust any person's description of what they hear, or for that matter what a collection of persons who find the speaker sounding in a similar way and describes it in a similar way.

ahoo

I have a pair of kef r7 meta
Anyone with impressions of their r meta speakers yet?
i have a pair of R7 Metas. To me they sound great, I measured them with a minidsp umik 2 and in my living room they seem to have a good response, only thing was that the left one is in a corner so it had a slightly raised bass response that I corrected with dirac (minidsp flex). First time I’ve had the feeling that the band is really in front of me.

I upgraded from a pair of Dali Oberon 5’s and the difference is night and day in my living room (~45sqm, L-shaped).

But I’m no expert ‍

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I have a pair of kef r7 meta

i have a pair of R7 Metas. To me they sound great, I measured them with a minidsp umik 2 and in my living room they seem to have a good response, only thing was that the left one is in a corner so it had a slightly raised bass response that I corrected with dirac (minidsp flex). First time I’ve had the feeling that the band is really in front of me.

I upgraded from a pair of Dali Oberon 5’s and the difference is night and day in my living room (~45sqm, L-shaped).

But I’m no expert ‍
Can you show the measurements pls

ahoo

Can you show the measurements pls
I’m not at home for the next week, so all I have is this screenshot of Dirac:
70002667739__102ECBCA-FAB2-400D-B35A-FB8F9666FFF3.jpeg

fineMen

Major Contributor
Looks like a BBC dip. I assume the sports presenters caused that at the weekend.
I tried to fill up the dip with an equalizer (not yet in the meta-verse, but the ol' R3). It didn't work. The sound got piercing. For me it seems to be a cancellation with the enclosure edges' vitual sound sources. If it is so, this nearly unevitable effect is very well controlled.

juliangst

Measurements of the R Meta look really good.
Is there any reason why someone would get the Reference 1 Meta for 4 times the price of the R3 Meta if they basically measure identical (including the BBC dip)?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Is there any reason why someone would get the Reference 1 Meta for 4 times the price of the R3 Meta if they basically measure identical (including the BBC dip)?
What BBC dip? KEF don’t have BBC dip. Audyssey still accounts for it for inexplicable reasons.

juliangst

What BBC dip? KEF don’t have BBC dip. Audyssey still accounts for it for inexplicable reasons.
The Reference 1 have a slight dip around 2kHz

Attachments

• 4496875A-7A5F-4269-9677-33976108B307.jpeg
    4496875A-7A5F-4269-9677-33976108B307.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 87

fineMen

Major Contributor
It is quite easy to remove with EQ, so I guess it´s not an issue.
As mentioned earlier, and so far thanks for picking this up, I think the dip is due to destructive interference of direct sound and difracted sound from the sharp enclosure edges. A few rough simulations didn't speak against this conjecture.

I tried (w/ R3) to compensate with an equalizer only to get horrible results. The sound became unbearable to my ears, shrill, deafening. Don't believe me, just do it. Anyway, who would even discriminate that shallow and also narrow dip, e/g with white noise, let alone with (unknown!) music, against a paper perfect speaker? (peaks and dips are percieved differently)

And whilst at it, I watched the video on the innvoations with the MAT version. Distortion reduction from 0,1% to 0,0x%. All this is, really, full heartedly impressive, adorable. But what about phase modulation aka "Doppler"? Why don't 'we' hear that in small speakers like the LS50?

From the competition: https://purifi-audio.com/2019/12/07/amfm/ end of page.

Don't follow the instruction, listen with a mono speaker in-room at a reasonable distance. Test frequency is about 1300Hz, the modulating frequency is not in, bass not needed. And, all you hear is from the already assembled modulated tone, nothing generated by any presumably bad speaker :oops:
(What happens when you get closer to the speaker cone, one ear held close, aka 'nearfiled'?)

Last edited:

exm

If you go purely by measurements you can probably get something a lot cheaper than the R3 Meta that measures better.

juliangst

If you go purely by measurements you can probably get something a lot cheaper than the R3 Meta that measures better.
I'm really a fan of coaxial speakers and always liked Kef speakers. My next speakers will very likely be the R3 Meta.

I just wonder what difference people would hear between the R3 Meta and Reference 1 Meta.

The Reference has a deeper cabinet, 30hz higher crossover point than the R3 and a higher quality and stronger build.
Both have about the same frequency response, really low distortion and about the same bass extension.
Will the Reference 1 Meta still sound better? What am I missing?

Top Bottom