• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF KC92 and Kube MIE subwoofers

Leon7791

Yep, I should be able to A/B them precisely in-room with REW since they are exactly the same physical dimensions. I'm very curious to see if there's any significant bass extension relative to the KF92 and I will also check distortion graphs (though I have no idea how precise they are in REW).
Are you going to buy the kc92 too?

beagleman

Major Contributor
Anecdotal claims like 'not being good for music' or not being 'fast' are as unscientific as it gets.
The only thing that could be related to 'speed' is the group delay which is higher on the SVS but should still be inaudible.
The Arendal 1961 1s is a lot better in that regard and still half the price of the KEF.
The room, placement and room correction will have a significantly higher impact on sound than having a few milliseconds less group delay or a few percent less distortion.

I'm a KEF fanboy but from a consumer perspective I don't really see the point in getting any of those overpriced micro subs when you can get better performance and more features for significantly less money (and the same box size in the case of the SB1000).

The MIE subs looks interesting though if they can deliver similar performance to the competition.
I do sound for my HUGE church auditorium, we have subs that literally use (2) 21" Pro sound subs on each side of the stage. And an additional 2 more flying above the stage on each side. For a total of (8) 21" subs.

With only a couple hundred watts, it makes far more bass than ANY SVS sub out of their line up. You can FEEL the bass clear down into the 25hz range, at levels FAR above any SVS sub. The ENTIRE room is pressurized and you can FEEL the bass so strong that it is nearly scary. Not a fair comparison? Of course not, but..............;)

I think there is simply a usage for all subs, and not everyone NEEDS super loud and so on. The goal is not to get the loudest, but to use what one needs.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Part of what makes some genres what they are is the physicality of the sound. If you listen to The Prodigy and other Electronic artists, that "thump" on the guts due to low frequencies is as necessary as the pressure on Bach.

The requirements to get that are not the same in a massive space or a living room, logically.

Top Bottom