• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom Amp 2 Headphone Amplifier Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 287 92.9%

• Total voters
How well would a fiio k3 (first gen) work as a DAC for this amp? I know the K3 didn't test too well but the line out was pretty good.

It would work very well.
Hm I am thinking about doing that but I don't know if I would be better off just buying a higher end combo like a k7 or c200. I guess between the 3 options there would not be a noticeable difference besides different sound signatures. Any suggestions?

My sons Fiio k3 died, so the options are this (with the atom 2 amp) or a Fiio k7

My sons Fiio k3 died, so the options are this (with the atom 2 amp) or a Fiio k7
The ATOM DAC+ is a very well measuring DAC with the simplest of features and it does what a DAC does without worry about sound quality. I have the ATOM DAC+ on my desktop and decided on this one after a few weeks of deliberation. For US $109.00 including the power adapter and with the 2 year parts and labor warranty it is very good value. Atom DAC+'s light blue light ring glows when in use, automatically powers down during inactivity, and wakes up instantly and silently so you don't require a power switch. If you do want a power switch then there is a supplied rocker switch provided in the box. JDS Labs DACs are fully guaranteed against parts and electronic manufacturing defects for 2 years from original purchase date.
This is a nice short RCA cable at 15 cm = 6 in = 0.5 ft length JDS Labs accessory to purchase with your DAC.
A review of the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ is here. >>>

If he just wants a simple solution to good audio just go with the K7. If he wants to get into audio as a hobby and mess around with different DAC/AMP combos the JDS AMP would be better.

If he just wants a simple solution to good audio just go with the K7. If he wants to get into audio as a hobby and mess around with different DAC/AMP combos the JDS AMP would be better.
I don't understand your reply. The K7 is a feature laden and much more expensive unit.

I don't understand your reply. The K7 is a feature laden and much more expensive unit.
Wouldnt he need both the DAC and AMP ? That would almost $250 for the last gen stack and nearly $300 for the version 2 models and JDS charges shipping. Fiio K7 is $200

Wouldnt he need both the DAC and AMP ? That would almost $250 for the last gen stack and nearly $300 for the version 2 models and JDS charges shipping. Fiio K7 is $200
Yes, I see your wisdom and ways now... LoL. Sorry for questioning you.

The only issue with this wondaful product is that it gets to expensive to buy from Europe and so, they do not give in afford so as for Europe retailers. So sad..

The atom 2 amp easily feeds my power-hungry DT880 600ohm cans and brings out the best in them.

The only issue with this wondaful product is that it gets to expensive to buy from Europe and so, they do not give in afford so as for Europe retailers. So sad..
Another options is Sabaj's A20H, with the right shipping it shouldn't cost anything extra

Another options is Sabaj's A20H, with the right shipping it shouldn't cost anything extra
Looks nice! Thanks for the mention!

As I see the site is stored in USA too, so I do not know if in Europe will have taxes and the known issues as may occur with JDS too.

As I see the site is stored in USA too, so I do not know if in Europe will have taxes and the known issues as may occur with JDS too.
The Sabaj? I bought from hifi-express and didn't get hit with any fees/taxes whatsoever.. :)

Note that it ships from abroad. If you have issues/warranty claims, it will be a pain. But for the price it's well worth a shot though (IMO).

Looks nice! Thanks for the mention!

They state this:
For many European countries, we offer a tax-paid Standard Shipping method via Yanwen Express.

Shipping fees exclude import taxes or processing fees that might be applicable for your country, unless you have selected the tax-paid option.
So it should be ok.

Anyone else try the SMSL SU-1 with the Atom Amp 2? Highly recommended.

I down sized from RME-ADI 2 FS and I'm beyond satisfied, mega bang for your buck audio!

Last edited:
Anyone else try the SMSL SU-1 with the Atom Amp 2? Highly recommended.
I down sized from RME-ADI 2 FS and I'm beyond satisfied, mega bang for your buck audio!
Doesn't the RME have built-in parametric EQ? I'd miss that for sure.

Back
Top Bottom